16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Disappointing patterns new sweet 16
Quailbuster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Patterned my new a5 sweet 16 yesterday and the POI is nowhere near the POA. Tried multiple chokes at varying distances(15yds-25yds) and with 1-1/8oz. Loads whether it be herters, Remington or Winchester it would impact 6"-8" to the left of were I was aiming. Absolutely horrible results. Didn't matter what I did. I had a box of 1oz. Remington game loads and they patterned great. Multiple chokes at different distances and the 1oz. stuff was stellar. There's something about the 1-1/8oz. Loads and I don't know what it could be. Any thoughts?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Mabey a 4-way adjustable Graco?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Left handed or right handed shooter?
Mike

Quailbuster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Right hand. I should also say that when I was patterning I shot from a bench and a sand bag and also shot some from a standing position. Same results either way. Multiple shooters shot this thing and the results were the same for everyone.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

harmonics ... and you say the 1ozers are great - stop there .

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
and you say the 1ozers are great - stop there .

This is what I would do, but if not acceptable I would contact Browning laying out the details you've presented here.

brdslayr
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Harmonics, no way. Recoil maybe. A bad pattern is one thing, but to have a particular shot weight shoot left or right.....well id have to see that for myself. Ive had high shooting guns, new guns with bent barrels, but all the rds went in the same place no matter the payload. Good luck. Sounds interesting, keep us posted.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

brdslayr wrote:
Harmonics, no way. Recoil maybe. A bad pattern is one thing, but to have a particular shot weight shoot left or right.....well id have to see that for myself. Ive had high shooting guns, new guns with bent barrels, but all the rds went in the same place no matter the payload. Good luck. Sounds interesting, keep us posted.

totally concur. If the POI is not aligned with the POA, and it is a physical mis-alignment thing, and should be the same no matter what the payload. If you are getting impacts 8" left with 9/8oz loads, but spot on with 1oz, there is something else going on than gun barrel alignment, there has to be movement going on with heavier loads. I'd suspect:
1. testing procedures. POA/POI should be done close enough you still have a very small pattern. 25 yards is too far. Even 15 yards can be, if your pattern has spread out too much.
2. flinch/recoil
3. you didn't mention wind.
4. stock fit, maybe not firm against cheek allowing sideways movement with larger payloads.

Please post your findings as you progress, this is an interesting one! Good luck, and sorry to hear you're not getting good results with your new gun.
studdog
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 am  Reply with quote

My new sweetA5 patterns perfectly with 1 ounce loads. FWIW. I don't think the load should effect general pattern POI.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 am  Reply with quote

Might be worth trying a "blind" test. Have someone hand you one shell at a time without knowing which one you're shooting. On the other hand it's frustrating when you know something is indeed awry and you can't get at cause. Sounds like you've done your due diligence, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.
Quailbuster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Shipping it back to browning this week. We'll see what happens. Talked to a browning engineer this morning and we both agreed that if it shoots 1oz. Loads well it doesn't make sense for it to not shoot the 1-1/8oz just as well. Hopefully they can figure something out because there's something up with it for sure.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Curious what their engineers determine. Gotta be a reason.

Kirk

3crosses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Shoot it off of a rest.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

He did.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

One possibility, as outlandish as it may seem: barrel flex from a seriously non concentric bore. If the barrel was thin on one side and thick on the other it may be possible that the additional bore friction of the longer column of wad/shot would draw it ever so slightly. But 6"? Crazy.

Beyond that, if you eliminate flinching or real sloppy/ out of square barrel to receiver fitment, the only other thing I can think of is that the gun's butt plate/pad twists in your shoulder pocket and the extra recoil is magnifying the effect.