16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Starting/Stopping a Progressive
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 am  Reply with quote

I use single-stage presses for 410, 20 & 16 ga loading. I am fine with the single action method of loading and am confident that each shell is loaded correctly. However, I have access to a PW MultOmatic 600 progressive press for 12 ga. I have tried using it and find it very stressful. In addition to pulling the handle I need to remember to turn the tray place a hull, insert a wad and make sure everything is working- but of particular stress is getting the sequence going and stopping. That is, putting the first hull in and processing it and each additional hull until all positions are filled, without powder and shot going everywhere until a hull gets to that position, then when I'm finishing and stop adding hulls, keeping an order to things as the hull progress and leave a trail of empty positions. TWO questions: Do those of you more experienced with progressive machines have a process to avoid all the stress and mess? and 2, I know this is an old machine, so do the newer models have built in systems to make starting/stopping easier?
jim18611865
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:01 am  Reply with quote

I am unfamiliar with your press, but on my grabbers, I leave the turret loaded for weeks, even months at a time. The MECs have a feature that locks the charge bar when the reprime station is empty. As long as that works, good to go.

I also repeat a sequence in my head as I load.
Pull, primer, turn, remove shell, new shell, wad...
Primer is just looking to make sure the primer drop was successful.

Jim
bigblue
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:35 am  Reply with quote

jim18611865 wrote:
I am unfamiliar with your press, but on my grabbers, I leave the turret loaded for weeks, even months at a time. The MECs have a feature that locks the charge bar when the reprime station is empty. As long as that works, good to go.

I also repeat a sequence in my head as I load.
Pull, primer, turn, remove shell, new shell, wad...
Primer is just looking to make sure the primer drop was successful.

Jim
X2 for me also.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:57 am  Reply with quote

On a RCBS which takes most of the worry and guess work out. You forget a wad ,then no shot drops. You can leave every other space empty and no shot or powder is dropped. You load 1 shell for a full cycle and no problem. Many more good options. Changing shot or powder is a snap. That loader has never been given a full chance by the reloaders. Yes mec is a very good loader. But still has a hick up now and then and a mess. The RCBS is a tank and you won't wear it out. However you buy a used one which the warranty used to be good even to the next person down. But not any more. Parts can be easily had. I converted mine to a 16ga. I have 2 other mecs 16 ga's which hardly gets used anymore. I converted mine in about 30 minutes. Good luck in your venture.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 am  Reply with quote

My habit when using a progressive machine (Texan, Ponsness) is to finish out what has been put in the machine, turning off the primer, powder, and shot feeds, clearing the machine.

When I started I would leave stuff in progress thinking I would continue the same later. I unfortunately did not always and lost track of what was what. Better to close out and start afresh.

If not, be sure to write out exactly what load (bushings) and what powder etc. I always mark the powder and shot with masking tape to clearly ID the contents.