16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Franchi Instinct SL 16b
airmedic1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to see one. I handled a 20b the other day and it was nice.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/shot-show-2018-best-new-shotguns#page-2

It's nice to see new 16's coming out!!

AM

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:46 am  Reply with quote

At 5.8lbs, if one were in the market for a new o/u, that would be hard to pass up.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 am  Reply with quote

It would be a very nice ruffed grouse gun. It might be a little testy with heavy loads.
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

I don't need heavy loads to shoot upland birds. If this gun is balanced to my liking I plan to buy one. One ounce at 1200 FPS should be nice.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah-well, go for it then. I prefer more of a load than that when things are less than game farm perfect.
airmedic1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know if I will buy one or not, but the three wild roosters I killed today with my Fausti DEA 16b roundbody using Kent Fastlead #6 1oz loads won't know they weren't killed with a shell that wasn't "game farm perfect". Confused Confused ???

AM

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Airmedic, if you read my post again you'll notice the "game farm perfect" refers to the conditions and not the "shells."

1 oz is plenty for most situations, and like you I've done fine with them. Just the same when the going gets tough I prefer more and at least 1 1/8. Usually it's a 12 gauge with 1 1/4 oz. Just how I roll.

A 5.8 pound 16 is being asked a lot with your typical 1300 fps 1 1/8 oz loads and beyond. That's all I was getting at.

My phrasing was poor in my last post and I can see how it might strike a nerve. My mistake.

FWIW, I sent Browning an email the other day and pointed out the nice looking 16 ga. Franchi SL with the round-knob stock and asked them to think about more options in their 16 gauge guns, including a 725 with a round knob at around 6.5 pounds or a little less. Also showed them my SW16 with a straight stock and said a relaxed grip option would sell more of them, etc. Probably pissing in the wind.
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Also showed them my SW16 with a straight stock and said a relaxed grip option would sell more of them, etc. Probably pissing in the wind.

Now that they have the platform established and on the market, I wonder how much cost would be involved with just offering the different grip options?

Is more of the cost of a new shotgun involved in the metal and mechanics or in the stock and forearm? (Assuming both are modest/mass market - not high grade wood or any engraving on metal)

Just wondering if it would it be that difficult or cost prohibitive to roll out a few hundred of each and see what the market reaction was. I feel like I've read more than my share of forum posts and articles on the new sweet 16, and the pistol grip has got to be the most consistently raised issue that put people off of them.

Rob
airmedic1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 am  Reply with quote

I am a straight stock, double trigger guy who likes my barrels lying horizontal, none the less, I like the open Prince of Wales better than a pistol grip on a hunting gun. I have a Beretta 687 Ultralight with a beautiful straight stock that I shoot okay but I ordered that stock from Cole's. I have little hope that Franchi will offer their Instinct SL with a straight stock but if they did, I would own one for sure. I am glad it doesn't show the extended choke tubes on the 16b like the ones on the 12 and 20.
AM

Ptm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:13 am  Reply with quote

airmedic1 wrote:
I don't know if I will buy one or not, but the three wild roosters I killed today with my Fausti DEA 16b roundbody using Kent Fastlead #6 1oz loads won't know they weren't killed with a shell that wasn't "game farm perfect". Confused Confused ???

AM

Hey buddy not trying to steal any spots, where is there still a pheasant season going? Cabin fever has set in at Dakota North, fwiw I am going to put some money down on the Franchi, I think that Fausti is an awesome gun.
airmedic1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Nebraska's pheasant and quail season always goes to January 31. Yesterday was the last day I could hunt and it was a good day to finish. I walked in to a center pivot corner of CRP, my youngest shorthair went on point and I killed that rooster. My little Welsh springer brought it back to me and by the time I had it in my vest, the other older shorthairs were both on point. Two roosters got up and I killed them both. I didn't walk 100 yards into the field and I was done in less than 15 minutes. Took longer to walk back to the truck than it did to kill my limit.
Days like that are few and far between for me and it was especially sweet since all of the shorthairs pointed roosters and....I didn't miss! Three shots, thee birds, it was a great way to end my season! Very Happy Very Happy[/url]

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 am  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
Quote:
Also showed them my SW16 with a straight stock and said a relaxed grip option would sell more of them, etc. Probably pissing in the wind.

Now that they have the platform established and on the market, I wonder how much cost would be involved with just offering the different grip options?

Considering that I just passed on the new FAIR Rizzini Iside because it had a straight grip but with a short trigger guard, they just lost $1800. They need to figure in not just the cost of making them, but the cost of lost sales because they don't make them. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Ptm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

airmedic1 wrote:
Nebraska's pheasant and quail season always goes to January 31. Yesterday was the last day I could hunt and it was a good day to finish. I walked in to a center pivot corner of CRP, my youngest shorthair went on point and I killed that rooster. My little Welsh springer brought it back to me and by the time I had it in my vest, the other older shorthairs were both on point. Two roosters got up and I killed them both. I didn't walk 100 yards into the field and I was done in less than 15 minutes. Took longer to walk back to the truck than it did to kill my limit.
Days like that are few and far between for me and it was especially sweet since all of the shorthairs pointed roosters and....I didn't miss! Three shots, thee birds, it was a great way to end my season! Very Happy Very Happy[/url]

Sounds like a great day
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:57 am  Reply with quote

I'd certainly consider the new Franchi Instinct if they offered it with 2 triggers but that's a deal breaker for me especially in a field gun.
AteUp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Just picked mine up yesterday. Haven’t shot it yet but things I like so far.
Very light 5# 6 oz. well balanced for an alloy frame 3/8 to 1/2” forward of hinge and
A little more drop than the 12 and 20 which I also own. Things or thing I don’t like,
only comes with 3 chokes.