16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 16 gauge plans?
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 am  Reply with quote

What are your 16 gauge plans for 2018?

For me, I want to shoot and enjoy my two SxS’s regularly at the clays ranges and shoots (especially the Sweet 16 Shoot).

Wouldn’t mind acquiring an older Fox in need of some sprucing up.
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Good topic Dave.

I want to get better at shooting mine!

I'm hoping to actually sign up for some lessons for the first time in my life. Not a complete overhaul, but someone to help with some of the basic mechanics I could stand to improve. (Any references in SE Michigan area welcomed!)

On the purchase front, I'm considering trying to track down one of the Citori Upland Specials. Love to add a nice SxS to the stable, but likely a much longer term look for me.

Project wise other than that I'm hoping to get more comfortable/confident reloading, and may ship the trigger on my new sweet to get it backed off a few pounds.

Rob
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I want to finally start reloading 16s on the progressive press that OI purchased two years ago and have not set up, along with the components that I already have that could end up conversion into about 25 flats of 16s. Even though I procrastinated about getting started, I had fund during that time shooting up dozens of flats of Remington 16 Gauge Game Loads so that I have plenty of reloadable hulls.

And it looks like my Custom Shop 16 Gauge Dickenson SxS will not be arriving before 2018 kicks off.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 am  Reply with quote

13 Dec. 17

Since I bought a Sweet 16 earlier in the year and just took delivery on a Citori White Lightning, I probably won't be buying any more 16ga guns in 2018. I've managed several straights at skeet with the S-16 and killed a bunch of pheasants with it. I got the White Lightning on Friday and took it out for pheasants on Sunday without a tip to the range. Gun functioned perfectly and I killed a two bird limit with two shots. If I don't manage a skeet straight with the White Lightning before the end of the year, doing so in 2018 may constitute my only 16ga project.

Merry Christmas

Bill

18 Dec. 17

So much for next year. Took the White Lightning out Sat. and ran 50 straight skeet targets. I'll have to look elsewhere for a 16ga project.

Bill

Last edited by William J. siefert on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
df
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am  Reply with quote

I’d like a new sweet 16, but not going to buy one with that stock configuration,.
Yes I know it can be altered, just not going to do that.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

I want to continue to use my 16’s for all my hunting.

Shoot a few more Sporting Clay events with my 16’s. I am going to the NE Regional in May and I am going to shoot my 16 ga. 870 in the pump event.

Have my Citori stock fit to me so I can use the gun a lot more than I am now.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have a custom 16 gauge Fox that needs to be done. It has been 4 years in the making ( 2.5 waiting in line, 1.5 to do the actual work) and I'm getting a little antsy waiting for it.

The metal work is done for the most part. The last time I saw it the stock was done but needs to get a hand rubbed finish and then checkering and leather covered pad needs to be installed. It is a 2 barrel set with separate for-ends and they need to get finished and checkered as well. Then the engraver needs to get ahold of it. Then it needs to be case hardened and the barrels need to be slow rust blued. I hope to have it finished by this time in 2018.
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Back to reloading. Spent last year without my press and wound up buying a 20ga Beretta 303 to shoot cheaper (and available) shells at clays. Press is apart to replace a bushing, sizer is gtg, stuffed shells just around the corner.

Bird seasons continue through January, 16s are the tools there and for some winter clays. Hope to make the SW16 shoot this year, maybe one or two other shoots where bird guns are the rule.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
Good topic Dave.

I want to get better at shooting mine!

I'm hoping to actually sign up for some lessons for the first time in my life. Not a complete overhaul, but someone to help with some of the basic mechanics I could stand to improve. (Any references in SE Michigan area welcomed!)

On the purchase front, I'm considering trying to track down one of the Citori Upland Specials. Love to add a nice SxS to the stable, but likely a much longer term look for me.

Project wise other than that I'm hoping to get more comfortable/confident reloading, and may ship the trigger on my new sweet to get it backed off a few pounds.

Rob

Rob "TripleH"
I may have a line on an Upland Special In MT. Checking on it tonight.
PM me if interested.
Tim "mtbirder"
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

browning 525 with 30 in barrels at a price I can affort

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Shooting both 16's for a local sporting clays league this summer with a good friend. Keep in shape for grouse season. I shot the 29" gun much better this year in the woods, want to keep trying with the 26" gun to see if it just takes some more practice or if I really do swing and follow through better with the longer tubes. All of this of course to be better prepared for the grouse next fall.

67galaxie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

I am going to finish the stock and forend on my fox 16. I am going to take my manufrance duck hunting from the bank for woodies again and I'll take the husqvarna 103cs out for a turkey come spring
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I'm hoping to shoot more clays next year, including skeet with that Dave Erickson guy up on the hill by the River. And Sporting Clays.

16 is pretty much all I shoot anymore and have "enough" guns but still looking for a few that I don't own yet. Ithaca 37's hopefully prewars: 37S, 37T and 37RD. The 37RD would of course have to be postwar.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
I'm hoping to shoot more clays next year, including skeet with that Dave Erickson guy up on the hill by the River. And Sporting Clays.

Now those are some fine 16 ga. plans! Along with the skeet and Woods & Meadow I'll take you down to the LaCrosse sporting clays range. It’s a grouse hunter’s clays sporting clays range.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Plans? Well I suppose to keep doing what I am doing, pointing one of my two 16's at the birds that are unfortunate to find themselves airborne in front of said shotguns...and wait for Rusty to bring back the ones that aren't fortunate enough to be someplace there isn't a shot pattern.