16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Saying goodbye to chukars again-a story
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

The terrain resembles where I go on the breaks of the Columbia and Snake rivers; with one major difference. We have roads to the top and bottom of the cliffs, so we don't have to walk uphill. If alone, I can drop off a motorcycle at the bottom, drive the truck to the top then hunt down to the bike then ride back up to the truck. Logistics are a hassle, but it beats having to try and walk uphill. If (when) I slip/fall it's nice to know that it's downhill to the motorized transportation.
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

great write-up and photos. worthy of a magazine - really.

This was my first year hunting Chuckars in NV. I hunt Montana for Huns, sharpies, pheasant. But, I live in CA and a new friend talked me into chasing Chuckars - he's nuts for them.

He did warn me. I'll not forget. "Chuckars ARE HARD" and was he ever right. I don't think I've fallen more times on a hunt since I got my Mt. Goat in '05

He told me not to bring any gun that I would mind dropping - 'cause it's not if, but, when and, how many times.

Yikes! Shocked

Now, our running joke about Chuckar hunting is: "we sure saved a lot of money today" Smile

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Great write up. I love how chukars surprise you even when you're expecting them. And the long hike is why we keep doing it. If it was easy, it wouldn't be half as fun. Glad to see you're taking a nice gun too. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Stunning photos and a wonderfully written account. The gun's beauty and utility are woven perfectly into the day's hunt. Gil
jbusch720
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoyed yor post! Awesome dog and beautiful gun. Only 7 more months until blue grouse season...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

I don't mind the uphill legwork. In fact I prefer it when shooting time comes. I have moved down on chukars from above countless times and while the hiking is easier there are several disadvantages.

First, sometimes it is real difficult to quickly plant your feet for the shot, gravity fights you on loose pebbled ground, especially when you are already traveling in it's favor.

Second, from above the chukars blend perfectly with the background making visual acquisition of the target far more difficult. Birds flushing above the hunter are distinct against the sky. I know my shooting average is vastly better when I stand below the flush. Plus, they have to blow past you: getting out of range takes them a lot longer than when they jump from far below and don't have to change directions to bomb down the mountain.

This leads me to the third point. A covey fanned out overhead, scrambling against an endless sky is just plain gorgeous! You just don't get to enjoy that when looking down at rapidly disappearing birds.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

WC - You make some good points. My only rebuttal is that, at least the birds that I see, when approached from below, they tend to run rather than fly; when approached from above, they tend to fly. Otherwise, next season I may leave the truck at the top and hike back up to it.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:36 am  Reply with quote

I suppose I really should add that angling across a slope then swinging up on them for the flush does help when it comes to the amount of effort, and the birds are less likely to scramble straight up the mountain.

Catching them near sage is a big plus too. They will run into the taller stuff, but often hide once there. I don't mind them running if they are headed to cover. Sage edges are number one on my list, here or Nevada.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I suppose I really should add that angling across a slope then swinging up on them for the flush does help when it comes to the amount of effort, and the birds are less likely to scramble straight up the mountain.

Catching them near sage is a big plus too. They will run into the taller stuff, but often hide once there. I don't mind them running if they are headed to cover. Sage edges are number one on my list, here or Nevada.

It amazes me how well those running devils will sometimes hold in tall sage. I was hunting my buddy's Idaho ranch with his brother-in-law when my GSP, Bode, went on point on a patch of tall sage downhill from me. John, the BIL, was closer and on the same level on the sidehill, so I told him to go in and make the flush. He went in and stomped all over the patch with no results, so after he was out, I released Bode to continue hunting. That big renegade dove into the sage patch and came out with a live chukar. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.