16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun Digest article- What happened to the 16ga.?
John A.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 am  Reply with quote

While I truly enjoy hunting with my 16 gauge single shot, if it weren't for sentimental reasons, there really is no advantage to a 16 over anything else.

I would like nothing more than to see more 16 gauge guns and shell choices than the next guy here.

But I'm not holding my breath for it to happen either.

I don't have to use no-tox shot here for hunting, so that much is a moot point for me. As is skeet shooting.

We (family and I) will often buy a case of clays and a hundred rounds of whatever is cheap and have a blast. But we don't compete at clubs, and is more for bragging rights until the next session. We don't even go to public ranges for that matter.

But I still put my old 16 gauge up against any of them.

With 7/8 to 1-1/8 oz shot, they are pleasant to shoot. Accurate, and hit just as hard as a 12 gauge does.

I would like to see a lot more choices for wads and shells though. I rarely ever see a box of 16 at our box stores. I bought the last 2 cases of shells they had after they got put on clearance.

I know there are people that buy them. But if you only see them on the shelf once a year right before squirrel season, they're never going to sell as many as others.