16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Gauge Skeet Loads?
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 am  Reply with quote

What is the load you use when shooting Skeet with your favorite 16 gauge?

Case and powders especially. Do you shoot 1 ounce, or?

I have found the black Remington cases fail quickly at the mouth.

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 am  Reply with quote

For targets I buy Herters ammo from Cabellas ,often on sale, they are cheaper than I can load my own. Then I load the hulls with Chedite primers, 15 grns Green Dot, pink Clay Buster wad, 7/8oz of shot.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I have used all 4 loads for skeet. I don't notice any difference between them except for a little less recoil between the 1 oz. and 7/8 oz. loads.

Federal 16 ga. paper basewad hull 2 3/4"
Federal 209A primer
20.5 grains Universal
B & P 16 wad (Precision and BPI sell them)
1 oz. lead shot

1,265 FPS 10,400 PSI
-----------------
Federal 209A primer
20.0 grains Unique
B & P 16 wad (Precision and BPI sell them)
1 oz. lead shot

1,248 FPS 10,200 PSI
------------------------------
Federal 209A primer
21.0 grains Universal
DR-16 wad
7/8 oz. lead shot

1,325 FPS

--------------------------------
CHeddite green hull 2 3/4"
Winchester 209 primer
21.0 grains Universal
DR-16 wad
7/8 oz. lead shot

1,325 FPS
--------------------------------

The last two loads are reduced loads down to 21.0 grains. I have no experience with them below that powder level, but I believe another grain or two reduction would be fine.

The first two loads are published in Precision Reloading's "Blanks to Supersonics" manual. The last two were tested with 23 & 22 grains of Universal respectively by Tom Armbrust, the PSI readings were 11,180 in the Cheddite hull & 10,820 in the Federal hull.

The 7/8 oz. loads were developed to cycle my 1100.......I think that some of the 7/8 oz. loads with Green Dot might be a better choice for other shotgun action types.

rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am  Reply with quote

I am going to load 1 1/8 ounce of No. 9 shot over a SP-16 wad and Longshot powder for Skeet in my 16 Gauge.

Right now I am shooting 1 ounce 8, Remington Game loads to get enough hulls.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

I use an older Browning a5 with the short chambers, so I trim down my rem black hulls when they wear out, load them with 7/8 oz of #9 with 17 gr of universal and the pink claybuster 7/8 wad.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

I don't shoot competitive skeet or trap, basically because those I know that do are always trying to place side-bets and otherwise trying to make the shoot a financial enterprise; so I content myself with shooting clays, skeet, trap as non-commercial events. So I can compete with myself on doing things better and not being overly concerned with the loads and equipment. I use one load for just about all of the 16ga shooting where a clay target is involved. Previously it was 16.6 grs of Green Dot and 7/8 oz shot (WW hull,DR16, WW 209). However with a recent purchase of Green Dot checking the weights with various bushings (PW) I find that the H which previously held 16.6 gr now holds 16.2 gr; evidently the powder is slightly less dense than the previous lot. The next step bushing that I have is J which holds 17.1 gr. So my present quandary is: do I stick with H and have the same bulk but slightly less weight, do I go with J and get .5 gr more than previously used, or do I get an I bushing and see what that measures out with this lot. Or I could go get some Green Dot of a different lot and see if I get back to 16.6 gr with the H bushing. My shooting is with break action guns so there's no worry about cycling an action.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Ched type hull
Fed 209a
16grs GreenDot
Dr-16wad
7/8 lead
6 fold crimp
Right around 1200fps

or any other non mag primer with 16.6 grs GD
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot the following:

Hull: Cheddite
Primer Cheddite 209
Powder: 14 g of 700x
Wad: Claybuster CB0100-16 (WA-16 clone)
Shot: 7/8 oz #8 lead + 3 pinto beans as filler to achieve a good crimp.

Now, realize that the CB0100 wad is the the one that I can get most easily. I have used the DR16 and the load seems weak with it. I am using 3 pinto beans as a filler and the load patterns and performs well for me.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 am  Reply with quote

My short range load out to 25-30y, working very well so far, loading 14.5gr instead of the tested 15gr, burns squeaky clean, w/enough recoil to reset the Citori triggers haven't tried it in he 48's yet but confident it would cycle, smashes the clay's when I do my part, tested at Precision Reloading a few weeks ago...

RST/Ched once fired hull, 2 9/16", W209, 15gr E3, SG16 -0- pressure, 23gram reclaimed lead avg~#8-8.5, 6 fold

FPS/PSI
1297/10230
1292/10240
1276/9630
1279/9780
1295/10420

Avg 1287/10060, SD 9/337, ES 21/790

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses! I will be shooting at the World Vintage Skeet shoot in Gainesville [FL] March 1-4th and am trying to get my shells in order.

I know that there are some hulls which have a tapered interior and some are straight walled. Each prefers the appropriate wad to avoid tipping or unsightly an case bulge.

Hope that you can join us in March if you are in the area.

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 am  Reply with quote

AM A small dowel with 80 grit sandpaper glued to it can be used to adjust the smaller drop bushing to the exact weight you desire.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Byrdog, but I think I'll spring for an I bushing. According to the charts, it splits the difference between the H & J bushings, so then I'd be set regardless as to powder variations. BTW, I still get great joy out of the your upgrade parts that I use on the PWs. Smile
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried 1 ounce to 3/4 ounce loads for skeet and informal clays in the past and have settled on my pet 3/4 ounce skeet and fun reload as the best one all around for targets out to 25 yards or so. The light recoil really helps me to stay in the gun over a long day. The short shot columns seem to produce nice even patterns that smash targets all to hell. Two big pluses any of us could use me thinks. Very Happy

My load-- a Remington RGL hull (black or Green--no difference), 16 grains of Green Dot, a Remington R16, 1 ounce wad w/ two .135" thick 28 ga nitro card wads under 3/4 ounces of #8, #8.5, or #9 shot (again no difference) and any standard 209 primer which snugly but not too snugly fits the primer pockets of the particular run of RGL hulls I'm loading at the time.

Be advised, I've found once fired RGL hull primer pockets to vary some from lot to lot over the years. Remington has been using whatever generic industrial grade primers they can get at a good price for a long while now, so mike several of the original spent primers and match the diameter with that of the ones you will be using. Snug is better than loose, but too snug and hard to seat isn't good either. I've been using Noble Sport 209 primers w/ good results for about a decade. They are about .0005" larger (1/2 of a thousandth) in diameter than WW 209 primers on average, but they seem to seat in any of my RGL hulls well enough after I've adjusted the press to seat them properly. I've never found them to be too small either, so why fix what ain't broke. Very Happy

Other folks here claim the Down Range 16 gauge wads w/o filler wads or the Claybuster 1 ounce wads w/ filler wads work just as well as the R16 wad for this load. I've found the load is not fussy at all in my experience. They are really fun to shoot, and are easy on old bones over a long day of shooting. Enjoy. Very Happy
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 am  Reply with quote

I use 5/8 oz shot over 16 gr Red Dot or Promo, usually in a SG-16 or Claybuster CB0078-16 wad. I drop in a 28-gauge thin overshot card at the crimp starter station. This load cycles my 1100 and provides a easy kicker in my German beater SxS. Almost any hull will work except for the Activs. I have to add 3/8" fiber fill in the cup for those, or just drop it on top of the shot for a cloud of "feathers."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

I essentially use the same load as byrdog, but will probably try the 5/8 oz thing like Dan Lee is using so I can make my shot last longer. I don't shoot competition. Nowhere to do that here anyway.