16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New or used?
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

The only reason I buy used is to get something I can't get new. The only reason I buy new is to get something I can't get used. My 16 gauge doubles were bought used and either have a charm, or a particular blend of handling and fit that I can't find in the new stuff within my means. My lone 16 gauge repeater was bought new and quickly customized into something you can't find new or used. 16 gauges are for us dreamers who just find something a little special in them, even if it's just in our minds.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have five 16 ga. guns: one Merkel 1620, a Model 12 with a mod choke, a Browning Sweet 16 also with a mod choke, an as-new Belgium Sweet 16 with vent rib, choked IC that I hardly shoot and finally a BPS with Invectors that's too heavy with a 28" barrel but swings well and is very comfortable to shoot skeet with.

My favorite is far and away the Merkel and it is a marvelous bird gun to carry and hunt with, but I've shot many pheasants with the mod-choked A-5 as well..

The 16 ga. 1 1/8 oz. Bismuth No-Tox, when I can find it, really kills the ducks. I won't use steel in anything but the BPS. Ammo is getting very expensive and hard to find; but I have a 16 ga. MEC 600 JR., and Green Dot, 1 oz. of #9's and Cheddite primers with the black Remington Game Load hulls work just fine for clay birds.

Researcher
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have found my RBL-16 very useful in these "regulated" times.

JonP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

I love old SxS...usually buy orphans that are overlooked. Doubt you can find a new gun that has the charm and workmanship of an old Guild gun whether Belgian or German at anywhere near the price. I enjoy having a piece of the past in my hands...rarely buy a new gun. Have stumbled on some real deals in 16ga in out of the way shops.
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:04 am  Reply with quote

The last new gun I bought was a Remington 870 SuperMag for steel shot. I enjoy having and shooting old doubles; not only are they artifacts of a bygone era, but have a present utility and beauty that would cost far more in a new gun. One of my favorites is a Thomas Turner Lightweight 12 with a scalloped stock and short forend to save weight. 6 lbs., 1 oz. It has beautiful Damascus barrels, fully engraved action and its well figured stock is pockmarked with birdshot. If only it could talk. I'd love to hear the story of how that happened. It was made between the late 1860s and 1887 and still shoots fine. I have more 16 gauge doubles than I need, but not more than I want.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53429_600x400/] [/URL]
Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 am  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
I love old SxS...usually buy orphans that are overlooked. Doubt you can find a new gun that has the charm and workmanship of an old Guild gun whether Belgian or German at anywhere near the price. I enjoy having a piece of the past in my hands...rarely buy a new gun. Have stumbled on some real deals in 16ga in out of the way shops.

My personal prize was a Merkell model 8 from Tradexcanada (Similar to your Simpsons, they sold many older guns out of Sweden) The price was right and about half of the price on a quick check of online listings. When I got it, I checked the markings, and on the lump was the E. German mark for OUTSTANDING QUALITY! The proof was in the pudding as I hit 23/25 trap birds at a local vintage shoot, the first time I fired it!
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I've never owned a new gun so I can't say Wink . Oh wait; just bought this .22/.22mag, the only new gun I've ever owned. So far it's fine...

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Mark 4 or 5 of each is the correct answer. I shoot and enjoy the older used guns the most. I shot the new sweet for Ducks this year was effective and easy to carry but lacked that classic feel. I shoot an AYA 453 deluxe a lot that I bought new for clays but again lacks the special feel of the old classics. I enjoy shooting and hunting the most with my old Fox's and Lc's. The non-tox issue is a serious consideration for new one of the reasons I bought a new sweet. I do shoot the Kent Bismuth in the old guns with no issues. So keep a hammer gun, Get another old Lefever and then buy your self a new model. Problem solved.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
So keep a hammer gun, Get another old Lefever and then buy your self a new model. Problem solved.

It's funny you should mention that. I was thinking the exact same thing. I like the way you think! Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

gunsrus wrote:
cowdoc87 wrote:
New for waterfowl- synthetic big bore guns that have to suffer through rain and mud and wet dogs. The rest for upland birds are mostly smaller bore, used, and older doubles, and maybe an old pumper.

This ^^^^

x2...but I do use the oldies for nice waterfowl days.

I prefer older guns with history of the hunts on them. never refurbished any of them. my 40lbs of bismuth will keep them going for years to come.

I also have a modern twenty gauge gun for range days.

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 am  Reply with quote

With regard to my shotgun collection ; I personally love the old guns. SxS’s are my favourite. I do have new guns also but are outnumbered 30-1 to my vintage ones. Non-toxic requirements don’t bother me now since Kent is producing new bismuth loads.
The money I save purchasing a fine old double instead of a new comparable model, will keep me in Kent Bismuth or Kent traditional shells for the rest of my days. To me the allure of the older guns is the value and myriad of makes and styles I can collect and hunt with.
I also feel that I am giving an old gun that has been neglected or discarded by today’s generation a home. A home for orphaned bird guns.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 am  Reply with quote

grousepointer16 wrote:
Non-toxic requirements don’t bother me now since Kent is producing new bismuth loads.

That is a good point, the only caveat being that those loads are pretty stout, which somewhat limits the number of older sxs's that can handle them. That still leaves a large number of them that can however, and can do so effectively.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 am  Reply with quote

All of my 16's were bought used with the exception of a Citori.

Like many others here, I usually hunt upland with a 16, although I love using a 28 for doves, and use a 12 for turkey and waterfowl

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
old colonel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

I buy used as I could never afford the same quality of SXS SLE new.

I also buy used vs new cars for similar reasons.

If you want new that is ok too; To each their own.

bearman49709
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am  Reply with quote

The only new shotgun I own is the Sweet 16 I bought last July.
I forgot the BPS I got about six years ago, Embarassed so two new 16s the rest used.

Last edited by bearman49709 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total