16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lucky Find
Donato
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I went to a gun show in western WA on Saturday and while looking at some 16ga shells I was approched by a guy that asked if I wanted to buy some 16ga shells. I asked him what he had for sale. He told me he had 8 boxes of Rem Express 3 dram 1 1/8 oz of # 6's for $3/a box. I told him I'd buy all of them he had. He has more at home that he will sell me at next months show. Good 16ga shells are hard to fine in WA state. I can't even find 1 oz Rem game loads in the Sportsmens Warehouse here in WA. I was also able to buy 20 or so other boxes of factory 16ga shell at very good prices at gunshows. Some times you just get lucky.
Are these hulls ok to reload?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

D, if these are the new style opaque green or black hulls with the 209 sized primer and the plastic base wad, then they will be fine for reloading, and probably will also perform well too. you might try a 1/2 dozen before taking them out hunting just to be sure. Even older new style ammo can suffer from poor storage.

However, if they are the old style translucent emerald green express loads with the fiber base wad and the smaller now obsolete 157 sized primer, just shoot them and chuck the hulls. these older hulls are nearly 30 years old now and the 157 primer has been discontinued for nearly 20 years. Any old primers you find will most likely be iffy. It is absolutely unsafe to use 209 sized primers in these old hulls. Don't try it, regardless of any advice you might hear otherwise. Please trust me on this one.

What I said about testing the the newer style shells before taking them afield goes double for ammo this old. It seems that once your shooting buddies find out you are one of those eccentric 16 ga fans, they will load you up with their fathers' and grandfathers' unshot old loads. You should see my collection of paper hulled loads, boxes and boxes of them. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Many have been squibs, misfires and punks. I don't trust them now until I shoot about 15 to 20 percent of them at the range. The times I did before smartening up cost me birds and some frustration--and funny language too. Wink I hope this info saves you the trouble if these are the older loads. Anyway, i hope you made a find of the newer stuff. Even so, some of the older stuff has been good too. You just gotta sort it out first. Good luck.
Chopperlumps
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

(866)491-5335, or gunsmok@belsouth.net
The above info is a scource for kent and estate 16ga shells that you can order online and have them delivered to your home. at a reasonable price. also Graf and Sons is another god scource for Fiocchi 16ga at a good price and they will sell 1 b0x at a time if yiu like Very Happy