16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bird hunting magazines
Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

16.com is my favorite read nowadays.

Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

An idea....hit ebay and buy a few of the old magazines from the 30s-50s.....then enjoy the look and the guts within.[/quote]

There was actually a magazine named Sporting Tales that was around in the early 2000’s that did exactly that. It re-ran great old stories that used to be in magazines and it also introduced a few new authors. It had a lot of content and not many ads (probably why it failed). I loved the thing and I bought several subscriptions for friends and they all enjoyed it.

They didn’t make it, but whoever ran it was a stand up guy. Six or seven years after they failed I got a check, along with a letter, from the fellow who owned it reimbursing me for my last subscription.

If it came back out I would subscribe to it again.

Also someone mentioned the Bird Hunting Edition of Grays and I really enjoy that. I had dropped my subscription to Gray’s because it was the only issue I really read. I don’t hunt fur or do much fishing so the other issues are nice but I never read them. I would drive up to Gander Mountain and buy just that one issue. Last year they had folded so I called a shop in Marquette and had them mail me a copy. By the time I paid for all that I could have darn near bought Gray’s for a year.

Good Hunting,
Mike
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
An idea....hit ebay and buy a few of the old magazines from the 30s-50s.....then enjoy the look and the guts within.

There was actually a magazine named Sporting Tales that was around in the early 2000’s that did exactly that. It re-ran great old stories that used to be in magazines and it also introduced a few new authors. It had a lot of content and not many ads (probably why it failed). I loved the thing and I bought several subscriptions for friends and they all enjoyed it.

Good Hunting,
Mike[/quote]

Mike - good call, I remember Sporting Tales and also enjoyed reading it.

RGS, Grouse Tales and Covey Rise are the only print mags I get these days.
fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

I think my my house foundation is cracked and my marriage is on the rocks from the totes and totes of old hook and bullet mags that fill my garage and closets and...

I quit my last subscriptions a few years ago, when my wife tried to put her foot down, but she couldn't any bare floor in the reading room. Now I reread the old ones.

An idea....hit ebay and buy a few of the old magazines from the 30s-50s.....then enjoy the look and the guts within.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

YESSSSS!!!!

I finally gave away my collection of American Rifleman magazines to a younger friend. They are in AR binders. They spanned from 1945 to Present.

What I have left, so far, is a complete set of Gun Digest, Handloader's Digest, Handloader Magazines, and Rifle Magazines

What to do, what to do Smile

Mike

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I recently dared to go into the space under the staircase and clear out a bunch of old magazines. Three boxes of car magazines went to my cousin and some of the outdoor types are going to my hunting partner. Among the keepers are a few issues of Game & Gun, including one with an article by Steve Smith on the 16ga. One paragraph is a sort of summary:

"If you get the chance to travel to the interior of Mexico, or maybe South America, to shoot, you'll notice that there are a number of dogs running loose that look a whole lot like each other. They are light in color, have a pointy nose, semi-pointed ears, very short coats, they're a bit over a foot tall at the shoulder, and have a tail that curves up and forward. Through years of non-selective street-breeding, they have deteriorated to the elemental, basic form of "dog" - Canis familiaris at lobby level.

"In the same way, the 16 is, to many people, the elemental form of "shotgun." If you consider some of the facets of good wingshooting, there are good reasons why."

RangerG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I checked out Covey Rise magazine. Mostly about exotic locations, expensive booze and cigars and firearms I would never be able to purchase. I'm out.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

RangerG wrote:
I checked out Covey Rise magazine. Mostly about exotic locations, expensive booze and cigars and firearms I would never be able to purchase. I'm out.

True, but great eye candy.

Good Hunting,
Mike
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

kgb, love that paragraph from Steve Smith.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
kgb, love that paragraph from Steve Smith.

Yeah me too, started in on it and realized I needed to include a bit of the next paragraph. Smile

The article is ultimately about the Parker Reproduction in 16ga, in the Jul/Aug '93 issue. Claim it's 4oz lighter with 16ga bbls than 20ga bbls. Naturally.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 am  Reply with quote

I have but one copy of Game and Gun. I was reading it again a few days ago. It seems like it is the inaugural issue (mallard cover). It is very good.

A friend bequeathed me about every Pointing Dog journal ever printed up to 2013. I kind of ignored them mostly since I don't run a pointing breed. What my dog does kind of confuses the whole pointing dog/ flushing dog debate anyway. I found an alternative method that is a bit of both-certainly a story for a different day.

However, I did glance at one or two a couple of years back. There were some good articles so I recently dug a few at random out of the stack and took them on the road a few days ago. I observed something interesting.

By sheer chance I grabbed several from 1997 and several from 2007, three or four of each example. I really did like the older ones a good bit more.

Now, here it is Sunday morning and I have to hit the road again and will have a few days of sitting time. Packed in my travel bag are copies starting with the very first issue running up to 2013, about a dozen magazines in all, spanning these years. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I suspect I will absolutely love the early ones, the mid years probably not as much, and hopefully, the newer ones will get as good as the old ones. I will know in a few days.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Magazines!??!.....for the most part I have lost interest in bird hunting magazines for many reasons. Many times it is canned hunts (no interest ). Ridiculously expensive hunts that I will never have the means to experience. Authors that don't have a clue but write anyway(my biggest complaint).... I guess in the end, I won't be well read, but it doesn't really matter because when it comes right down to it, I would rather be hunting with my dogs than reading about it. Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Understood, but alas bird season is over and thus the desire to read. I do agree with you about hunts that are not all that realistic for most of us and have certainly read things that I can refute.

Perhaps it is time for a rebirth of the trade in the interest of the common bird hunter. There are an awful lot of us, it would seem that someone could embody our spirit in print and perhaps introduce a few ideas for which the time has come. It surprises me that there are facets of bird behavior that have not either been discovered (in general) or revealed in print.

Last edited by WyoChukar on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:37 am  Reply with quote

My view point on that......they don't write articles that fit the current hunting situation because the writers don't hunt the way we do.

Their hunting articles are always based on a guided, canned or some other artificially influenced endeavor.

Most writers are also hooked in with somebody trying to sell something, so their opinions on destinations, gear, guns and ammo are skewed.... and many times someone is paying their way!

I have to be honest and not because we are conversing here, but posts from both you and others on 16ga.com are my source of enjoyment. What you do is REAL. What other folks here do is REAL. I am more than good with that. I don't want poetic elegance, I want REAL and that is what I get when you folks share your experiences.

Just last night I was showing my wife the pictures you posted of chukar hunting. Talk about beautiful stuff my friend, you captured it.... real great stuff!!

THANKS to ALL on the 16 Gauge Society!!!

tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 am  Reply with quote

“Poetic” and “real” are not mutually exclusive...never have been. Nor is “real” an exclusive property...anywhere.

It is just that the period through which we are now living lends itself more to ditto than to thought beyond dead.