16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Merkel 201E 16 guage
ohiochuck
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Recently purchased a nice Merkel 201E in 16 gauge over & under with Game Scene Engraving, .....manufactured 3/1954, chokes @ .007 & .022 the weight is 6lbs & 6 oz. It fits me well! Also purchased a flat of Herter's 1oz loads in # 8 shot.
My question is 1 & 1/8 or 1.25 oz loads needed for doves, grouse and the occasional pheasant?
Thanks!
Jim
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you won the lottery! Heavy loads are not needed for most upland hunting. I have killed a lot of quail and pheasant with one ounce loads.I could see maybe using 11/8 oz loads for pheasant but not a requirement except for some late season far flushing birds.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nice gun. Is this the one that was on GB?

As for the 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. question, the simple answer is: how far do you need to shoot and how does your gun pattern the loads in question? Yeah I know, I answered a question with a question, but these do determine everything else. Things are a bit complicated of course, but what it boils down to is an effective pattern at the range you shoot. With the right load, 1 1/8 oz will give a little more reach. However, a 1 oz. load with harder, high antimony shot will reliably kill farther than a heavier load using softer chilled lead shot. Unfortunately ammo companies are not forthcoming with the antimony content of their ammo, a good reason to reload.

One advantage to the heavier load will be to fill in the pattern a little better in that .007 barrel.

Recoil will go up with charge weight or velocity too. As a result I often use a 1 oz. load for the first shot to reduce muzzle jump and make follow up shots with the other barrel quicker. The tighter choked barrel often gets the 1 1/8 oz. load. When I hunt doves or quail, I stick with 1 oz. or even 7/8 oz. It makes the higher volume shooting more pleasant and ranges are seldom extreme.

df
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Nice gun.
I use 1 1/8 ounce for pheasants, either 5 or 6 shot. That is for wild pheasants. For game farm birds, or doves or grouse, one ounce should be fine.
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

That action will handle anything...its really a question of what is sensible. Haven't met a bird yet that didn't hit the ground with an ounce of shot.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

OC,

Lots of Dove Hunters up this way take a lot of Doves with 1OZ loads, however shoot what you like, the Merkel 201E 16 can handle just about any load you want to shoot, especially at doves.

How about a picture of the nice engraving on your 201E, would love to see it.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers