16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga Chukar Load
Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

What is everyone’s favorite wild Chukar load for the 16ga? I’m thinking of something around 1200 FPS with 1 1/8 oz of 6s or 7s. I really like the CSD 20 wads in my 20ga and SP12 in the big bore so thinking of heading the same route with a 16. I also don’t like to load up to max pressures. Have lots of longshot, 800x, Lil Gun, Blue Dot and Steel but will buy new powder if need be. I also don’t mind the Trap Commander series wads as well.

I’m hunting over a pretty dynamite Brit and we seem to get pretty darn close. In my 20 Citori I shoot two mods, a mod/Im in the 28 and will do a ic/ltmd/mod in the 16 depending on the birds and season. I reload for the 12, 20 and 28 but finally filled the 16 slot in the safe. I have no hulls or wads so starting from a blank slate on that realm.

Thank you

Hunt Chukar, Live Longer
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Would have to look up specifics, but it is Longshot ( I want to say 24.5gr, but would have to check to make sure) z or sg16 wad, and 1 1/16 of #7 shot.
It clocks in at over 1300fps, #7's work pattern well, used on Huns and Chukars in Idaho. (and huns in the Dakotas)
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Many years ago my frustration with 16 Ga. hull quality led me to Rocky Mountain Cartridge all brass hulls and after hours of pattern/chrono and penetration tests I settled on a variety of loads for specific applications.

Unfortunately, the powder that is listed below has been discontinued, but I have enough SR4756 to last many years.

Chukar loads:
With 1 oz. of #7 shot from an Imp CYL and 1 1/8 oz. from a Mod barrel I measure 32 grs. of SR4756 for each load.

The 1oz. has a velocity of 1328 fps and the 1 1/8 oz.moves out at 1325. Both loads are medium pressure with the 1 oz. load at 7440 psi and the 1 1/8 load at 9620.

RMC hulls can be loaded with 1-piece plastic wads or fiber wads. I discovered that for certain loads fiber wads provided better patterns than 1-piece wads and vice versa.

I believe that pattern/chrono and penetration testing of published loads is the key to
finding the perfect load for upland bird hunting.

That said, good patterning 1 and 1 1/8 ounce of #7 shot out of a double triggered SxS withe IMP CYL and Mod choked barrels is as good as it gets.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Chukarchaser, my favorite load is about what you are already speaking of. I use Longshot powder with 1 1/8 oz. of #7 shot for my long range stuff. 6's have consistently given me results that are anything but consistent at ranges exceeding 40 yards; 7's are golden at 50 in a full choke.

When I don't expect the birds to be unbearably uncooperative I shoot an ounce of 7 1/2 shot pushed by 800-x, once again in that 1200-1250fps ballpark. That choice actually works darn well past 40 too, but not as well as the 7's in a slightly heavier dosage.

Up close I have done super with 7/8 or 1 oz. of 8's out of a skeet choke. it's pretty much done as the 35 yard mark approaches.

I am fairly fond of loading ammo in the 8,000-9,500 psi range. I get very good patterns in that zone in all gauges, not just the 16. Recoil is relatively pleasant as well, a consideration for making a quick second shot on birds blowing down the mountain at the "speed of light".

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

"Hunt chukars, live longer"? Along as you don't get too close to the edge. It seems I have dodged that bullet more times than I care to ponder.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:09 am  Reply with quote

On my western hunts I use Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6's on the wild chukar, the same as sharptail and Huns. For preserve chukar, my 1 oz of #7 nickel plated at 1200 fps handloads seems to do the best job of dead in the air.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

If I had to choose just one load in my vest, then 1 1/8oz 6's gets the job done at all ranges, as long as they pattern well. Each gun is different. That said, 1oz 7's in the right and 1 1/8oz 6's or 5's in the left has worked really well for me. Late season season chunkers can get pretty beefy.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

I just remembered another favorite load. 1 oz. 6's in a 2.5" federal hull, Z16, 24gr longshot, roll crimped. About 1250-1300 fps. I've dumped roosters dead in the air with that load at 50 yds.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
rdja
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

The local Bass Pro carries the Remington "Long Range" shells ( green), 1-1/8, at 1300. Dumped a preserve pheasant at 50 yards out of a 16 ga Beretta Silver Hawk modified choke. Real nice shell seems to pattern well, by the way it drops birds. Have not patterned it on a board, and don't see a reason to yet.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Do they make 16 ga. Claymores? We are talking chukars.

Bret
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

My favorite load for chukar last season was Federal 1 1/8 oz 6s at 1295 FPS. I shot that load for most of the season. I was very successful with that load. It was my first season shooting a sixteen Gauge. I already bought a second gun and everything to load with. I am thinking that my preexisting shotgun problem may have just gotten gauge specific.

Because I also am a bit of an ammo snob, I have been working on and testing reloads since the season ended.

I just finished testing a load that was published in BPIs 16 Ga manual. It's in a Cheddite hull with 24 Grains of Longshot under their Z Wad holding 1 1/8 oz of nickel plated 6s. I added a .030 over-shot card after getting some advice from a trusted friend. This load sings from the barrel at 1440 FPS according to BPI.
The overshot card was a game changer. It looked less than perfect until I added the card. It now looks deadly at 40 through a mod and a little tight for the table through a factory full in my Citori. I also shot it through a mod in a new A5 it looked fantastic. I didn't pattern any distance greater than 40 yards. The recoil was manageable.
I cant say it's my favorite chukar load as I have yet to take a bird with it but it looks very promising. I've loaded a case for trial next season.
Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Bret. I’m actually planning on doing a very similar load. 27grs of longshot and a Win 209 primer and it’s published at 1410 instead of 1440. I noticed some pierced Chedditte primers last season so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Sound like a light modified/mod combo might be the trick. They have them for the Citori at Briley for $25. I used a light mod in my 20 last year and it might be the ideal Chukar choke for hunting over a pointer.

Thanks again and of you have any pictures of the patterns I would love to see them.
Bret
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

I should have thought to take pictures but since I was patterning four different variations through two guns and five tubes keeping data straight was my main thought.

It's funny how much difference there is in published data your loading 27 grains and I'm loading 24 and mine is supposed to be faster because of a primer or hull or something. Laughing It's pretty interesting. I might need to invest in a chronograph just to see if published data is even close.

I will be interested to hear about your results.

I'm new to loading 16 gauge. I bought Cheddite because they were available and there were a lot of loads for them.

What state are you in?

I'm on to a steel duck load now.
Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

I always do my patterning on the back of old blue prints and write what each load is, and keep them in the garage.

Yeh, you wouldn’t think there would be that much change from primers or that the Chedditte is that much hotter but I guess it is. When you look at spreads in velocity the 30 FPS between our loads is nothing. I always try to stay away from loading right up to SAAMI limits as much as possible. If you have a chance read Dave In AZs article on pressure.

The Cheddites aren’t bad hulls. They are no AAs but they get the job done for hunting loads. I buy a couple cases of Herters from Cabela’s every year and shoot them for summer trap and get a couple loadings out of them.

I’m over in Nevada. I actually think we follow each other on Instagram and I saw your load with the clear Chedditte hull. Looked good. What brand shot are you using?

[url]https://www.instagram.com/huntchukarlivelonger/[/url]
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

As for chokes and chukars, try using a greater variation between the first and second choke in a double barreled gun. Chukars get downrange faster than other birds,their steep descent being aided by gravity and all. I find the my second shot is usually pretty long if there are no stragglers to chose from. Light modified backed up by imp. modified or even full works amazingly well.