16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet 16 Trigger Mechanism..
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 am  Reply with quote

So....

One of my winter downtime ideas had been to get the trigger on my new sweet 16 backed down to around 4.5 lbs, I know they had reviewed as having a heavy trigger, and mine certainly fit the mold.

So I popped the mechanism out, shipped it off, work got done, shipped it back, and.....

As of right now it does appear my good friends at the ol' USPS really just aren't sure where it went. Yay me.

Checked out the schematics online with Browning, it appears my thought that I'd be able to click on "order 1 assembled trigger mechanism" is a pipe dream. Looks like I get all the parts individually.

Anyone have any experience with something similar that could advise on difficulty of trying to do this on my own or am I better off just having parts sent directly to a dealer for them to rebuild? Would like to save the additional expense if it's something that is pretty simple/logical to put together, but if it requires any real significant mechanical aptitude it will likely be beyond me.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
Rob
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 am  Reply with quote

I'd make some phone calls to major Browning dealers/repair centers. I find it hard to believe that a complete trigger assembly isn't available for that gun.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Shotgun/73954/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=a-5+trigger+assembly

PLUS
Do you have a tracking number from the repair place??

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about the "NEW" A5 . I would call Browning direct and see if they could get you one.
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks all for feedback and ideas, quick update:

Calls to couple nearby dealers netted similar results, still a new model and not a plethora of parts around, so no assemblies. They both assume they can assemble if I get them all the parts needed.

Call to Browning wasn’t overly helpful. Lady in parts department didn’t seem to think they had much parts inventory at all, and seemed to believe all of the parts for that assembly would be unique. I was referencing the diagram I snagged off the website that seemed to indicate that about 80% of the parts were common across the line, and only a few had designations by gauge. Her advice was that I would just need to sit and wait or send the gun in for them to look at. I couldn’t seem to explain clearly enough that everything was fine outside of the fact that the trigger assembly is absent Smile

I may try another call to them tomorrow and try a different dept. also may just send in a part order form with all the parts on it and see what they tell me about availability...

Do indeed have the tracking # skeet, states it was delivered to my address last week. Best guess they have right now is that it was delivered to wrong address and logged incorrectly. Is still hope that whoever got it will return to sender or forward my way, but that usually isn’t how my luck fares so researching next best path in the meantime.

Rob
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

I would start asking neighbors. I had some goose decoy bags that suffered the same fate as your trigger. Eventually, Roger's simply sent new ones (great outfit). A year later I discovered that somebody two blocks away received them. A neighbor had been talking to the person who ended up with them (and wondered what they were) and figured that in our town of 458, I was probably the guy who should have got them.

As far as down your own trigger work goes, I do all of my own. Some guns require a lot of work, others don't.

I have a custom .17 Mink varmint rifle built on a Browning Micro Hunter action. The trigger was 5lbs worth of awful at its lightest setting. I figured I would be spending much quality with ultra fine hones to remedy it, but first removed the coil spring in the assembly and made a matching, but lighter replacement by starting with a ball point pen spring. I trimmed it to length then carefully gave it the "bee hive" profile of the original. Much to my surprise, the trigger was outstanding. I adjusted the tension up until it was a crisp 1 lb. pull that wouldn't go off accidentally if the bolt was rammed hard or the butt banged hard on the floor. Don't use such a light spring in a shotgun, but a simple swap may cure your ill, if you ever find a trigger.

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

I wish you the best of luck and hope the package turns up, what a nightmare!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 am  Reply with quote

TripleH , when you call Browning , tell them you want to speak to Josh the parts manager . He was a great help when my new gun arrived with a broken extractor , saved me from have to send the gun back to them.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Wyochukar is right. Start checking with your neighbors. It's most likely sitting at a place with a similar house number. This happens to me now and then. The people down the road and the same 5 digits in a slightly different order on their house number, and my tracked and missing UPS boxes end up there. And stop reading that goofy Randy Wakeman. Those triggers are fine.
TripleH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I'd planned to try the neighbor route by transposing a few address numbers and walking around. However by coincidence, the day that the assembly was supposed to have been delivered I did receive another package at my house from USPS.

So I started there comparing the tracking details, both timestamped to the minute for the time they were "sorted" and "out for delivery". One that actually showed up was then timestamped as delivered at 5:13pm. The one that didn't show up had a delivery timestamp over thirty minutes later. As I'm one of the last few stops on my neighborhood route I'm pretty sure it whichever subdivision follows mine (no clue).

I did ask the carrier yesterday all she had for me was that they were still investigating.

fn16ga - Thanks for the tip on Josh. I'll be on the road quite a bit for work today/tomorrow so hope to have more time for phone calls/sitting on hold.

Dave - Likely correct that I would have done just fine with the triggers as is. I don't know I would have noticed it at all. 9 times out of 10 when I go to my range to do trap/skeet/5 stand I take multiple guns, and for whatever reason I always usually shot the automatic first and finished the day with others, or just used it exclusively.
On one occasion I swapped back to it on the skeet field and really felt the difference, so I told myself I'd get it looked at offseason, since Slim is working my stock conversion seemed like a good time. Of course I'm kicking myself now, but there's a reason hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. (agree with your opinion of Wakeman btw. the dudes credibility would get a huge boost if he was able to insert any amount of tact or graciousness into the information he attempts to share)

Anyway, thanks again to all. Going to hold out hope here for another few days that it still might show up, and if it doesn't, at least it's happening in February and not a month before season. Should have plenty of time to resolve one way or the other. I think even I can put one of those together with a 6 month headstart!
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Just a thought but give Art a call at Arts Gun Shop in Missouri. He and his family run a great shop and have Browning contacts like no one else. He might be able to help
I have used him twice, good man.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I must be naive. Common sense would seem to hold that a large manufacturer like Browning should be able to come up with a trigger group for a new - modern gun they are still manufacturing. WTH???

Stories like this don't send me rushing to buy a new Browning.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thirty minutes later? It seems that following the mail carrier for thirty minutes after you see the mail van go by your address might give you a pretty good idea of where the package wound up at. I would do it soon though, the recipient of you package may toss it.

And yes, Wakeman is a windbag who picks and chooses tidbits from other people's research to support his claims, with no respect to context. I used to call him out for it at Shotgun World before I grew bored of the typical forum atmosphere over there. About that time I discovered a group of gentleman I could enjoy "conversing" with...right here.

TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Spent some more time at the post office, and it appears I'm out of options on recovering the original assembly, aside from filing a claim with the Inspector and waiting for some reimbursement. The supervisor I met with was at least really helpful in explaining that the different delivery times is not unusual, as they will often have to circle back on the routes as they don't always end up bundled by address. She did share with me some printouts that show the GPS coordinates that are saved when they scan for delivery, and both packages were delivered to the same place. Checked with all neighbors who share that maildrop with no luck.

So will be spending some time on the phone with Browning today to see about getting a new one sent out.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 am  Reply with quote

What puzzles me is why the recipient has not contacted you. Your address is on the lost item I assume. There are all manner of avenue for that person to get a hold of you. I guess people just dont care any more.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/