16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "A little out of place"
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Hunted with a buddy and his son this fall going for sharptail in eastern Montana . I overheard his son, a stout little calf roper and horse shoer, talking to his girlfriend after about a twenty mile day- “Oh it’s a kinda ugly little brown bird”........
My take was I’d just spent a day walking through some of the most beautiful country in the world, with an old friend, behind a game little pup, with a 16 ga shotgun I don’t deserve to own, after a sacred treasure of a game bird.
My mother’s father was a humble old Mississippi burd dawg man. I guess I inherited the affliction, and treasure it.

Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I’m in my late 20’s, I grew up on a ranch in the sand flats of Nacogdoches county Tx.
I’ve spent every free minute hunting since I can remember when. September is our opening of dove season followed by two weeks of early teal, then squirrel and quail (I haven’t seen a wild covey local since I was a kid) in October with deer and duck opening in November. I hunt coyote inbetween to the extent that I hear the bunny blues in my sleep, but every year I look forward to bird hunting above all else.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Last May I went turkey hunting in NE. When we weren't turkey hunting we were looking for good places to find roosters in the fall. Ain't life grand!!

jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:03 am  Reply with quote

I'm really lucky to Live in Wyoming, a sportsman Paradise.

During the fall and early winter, I'm behind my Annie and carrying my 16 #2 AyA.

When the bird season ends, my wife, Annie and I head to the Big Horn Mountains. We're on skis and Annie runs.

When Spring arrives, Annie and I go fishing. I fly fish with beautiful rods in beautiful country. I enjoy both wading and fishing from our drift boat. MY wife enjoys rowing the drift boat and Annie takes great interest in the fishing activity.

We take a few trips each year to visit kids and grandkids.
Life couldn't be better.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
I'm really lucky to Live in Wyoming, a sportsman Paradise.

During the fall and early winter, I'm behind my Annie and carrying my 16 #2 AyA.

When the bird season ends, my wife, Annie and I head to the Big Horn Mountains. We're on skis and Annie runs.

When Spring arrives, Annie and I go fishing. I fly fish with beautiful rods in beautiful country. I enjoy both wading and fishing from our drift boat. MY wife enjoys rowing the drift boat and Annie takes great interest in the fishing activity.

We take a few trips each year to visit kids and grandkids.
Life couldn't be better.

I tried fishing with my GSP and every time I cast, that big renegade launched into the water for a retrieve. I had an English Pointer when I was a kid and that dog just wandered around doing dog stuff while I fished. I guess all of them are a bit different.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I had a Britt that was really good while I fly fished.....never tried fishing with a GSP......Both GSP's I have/had a sense of humor about the time I'd rather they didn't.......fly fishing with my female GSP probably wouldn't be a top notch idea......I always thought my male GSP Mick didn't have an off switch. My female GSP May definitely does not have an off switch,

jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Many years ago on a guided fly fishing trip to Montana, the guide, who was uncomfortable with bird dogs in his boat, asked if the the dogs would remain in the boat and not jump out.
I told him that both dogs, a Lab and a Brit have been in our drift boat many times and were used to the experience.
We hadn't got 100 yards before Emily, the Brit went over the side. Just shows to go ya. Embarassed
There were no more problems with either dog and we caught a lot of fish.
Bret
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Absolutely. I call it P.H.S.D. or Post Hunting Season Depression. Very well written sentiments.

I can't imagine being away from the dogs that often. It would be very difficult for me.

This time of year I spend way too much time in front of a computer. It is not good for the soul to be cooped up so much. I try to stay balanced with an NSTRA trial or two but it's just not the same. The years go by faster with each one that passes and now it seems as though hunting season will again be upon us before we know it. It will surely be medicine for the mind, body, and soul. Until then I guess we daydream.
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

No more whining, I've been stripping old wallpaper today with no end in sight. Chukar Old Boy stop at the local watering hole tonight stand up on the stool and in a loud voice proclaim "i love bird hunting and 16ga shotguns, who wants to share a pint and some stories" either you will make some new friends who are in the same boat you are or the liberals will stone you. Easy on the pints though you don't want to turn into a UpChukar.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
No more whining, I've been stripping old wallpaper today with no end in sight. Chukar Old Boy stop at the local watering hole tonight stand up on the stool and in a loud voice proclaim "i love bird hunting and 16ga shotguns, who wants to share a pint and some stories" either you will make some new friends who are in the same boat you are or the liberals will stone you. Easy on the pints though you don't want to turn into a UpChukar.

Very good! being from Wyoming and knowing a little bit about bars, I can assure you that WyChukar will not be stoned, about the upchucking, I have no knowledge of his capacity, but I imagine that he can hold his own. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

deleted post

Last edited by Chicago on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

I never really cared for the "stuff" so odds are if I swigged a pint I would go down like a Sharptail hit by a 10 ga.

I did get out and exercise the body (maybe a bit too much) and the mind. A lengthy fat tire bike ride up into the mountains helps maintain them there "chukar legs". The brain...well I spent 4 1/2 hours in country where I have shot grouse, both blues and ruffs. I don't think I have the give out three guesses as to what was running through my head. About time I was really focused on the difficult part of the ride I saw them, grouse tracks! Oh the agony. Smaller, close spacing and down toward the river drainage: Sir Ruff himself had been there.

The cycle never ends. The fact that I am reading 4 Setters book right now helps ease the pain a bit. Sort of. At least I spent the day someplace... that I don't feel out of place.
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53583_1024x768/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53584_1024x768/] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53585_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

larry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I too take my dogs on hikes and fish in the summer. They like to go and swim in the lakes and when I get a fish on they help me to the retrieving. And don't leave a fish on the bank as the griffons like cutthroat trout. One funny incident happened a couple of years age. The particular lake has some big trout but is very fickle. I was not catching any and as I was fishing I looked around the side of the lake and my oldest dog had a nice 17 inch cutthroat in his mouth running back to me. However there was a stranger running after my dog yelling at the top of his voice. He's got my fish. Fortunately I was close and quick enough to get the fish back to it's owner. unscathed and everything was OK. Larry Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Is there any question that dogs have a sense of humor??

duckdup
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Beginning to put the tools of the season away and planning for the next season. Enjoying reading these comments. Glad I joined... Smile