16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New to 16
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wanted to share with everyone that I'm a new member here and very new to using 16s. Been shooting for a while but I have just discovered the beauty of shooting this fine gauge.

I'm somewhat of a young guy (still in my 20s) but have heard stories from my dad about him shooting 16 when he was growing up. Ultimately, he had convinced me to add a 16 to my collection, partly for nostalgia, but mostly for going upland with my new lab pup. I took the plunge on my first ever 16 on gunbroker a few weeks ago.

A few weeks ago, I got a Browning citori 525 field NIB. I didn't have the chance to try one out, but figured I'd like it since I had it in 20.

Last week I got to use it at the range and all I can say is wow! I can't believe I haven't shot one sooner. It's like the best kept shooting secret.

Im so impressed with the caliber that I've even taken to buying a used sizemaster on ebay so I can reload and have ammo for years to come.

So, to say the least, I'm all in on 16. It's become my sporting clays and field gun. And I've been showing it off to everyone I shoot with. I think I may have even converted a few!
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Akoss1923
Please to have you on the site and posting
What joy, what joy
Mike

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard friend. Yes, the 16 is a bore of some mystique and much of it is well earned. Around here we use them for a wide variety of game and games. Congrats on the gun and reloading outfit. Time to start hoarding the purple hulls. Keep showing off your new prize, we welcome all of the "converts" we can get. The road to enlightenment is paved at .667" (approximately).

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 am  Reply with quote

Nice to have you here!!

rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:47 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of 16 gauge and the forum. I started shooting in the 60s, but like you, only recently purchased a 16 gauge and although there are those that will tell you all the reasons why a 20 gauge is as good and actually a better gauge, I could care less as I have plenty of 20 gauge shotguns. So now I have a Citori 525 Sporting in 16 as well as a pump and a semi-auto and I am awaiting my Dickinson 16 SxS from their custom shop. Keep you eyes open for a used MEC 16 Gauge Grabber as the more you like your 16 the more you will need to load and the progressive press will be a help with that.

Enjoy, Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Welcome!

Now that you have a reloader there will be little you can’t do with the gauge. I’ve made it go to for:

Turkey
Duck
Teal season
Dove
Quail
Pheasant
Rabbit
Grouse
Skeet
Squirrel

Still use other calibers/gauges for goose, deer, trap, and hogs

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Thabks all!

And Charlie, I am really excited to get started with some loads of different varieties.

I even built up a spreadsheet in excel to see how much I can save if I start finding loads I like and buy in bulk. I also have been scouring this website quite a bit about recipes and reloading knowledge too. I bought myself the BP 16 manual, the lightning manual, Lyman, and looked at Alliant and Hogdon recipes online.

Been thinking I'm going to use predominantly cheddite loads because there not too hard to get a hold of and make a bunch of versatile rounds. Especially since I found a nickel plated load that is wicked fast Very Happy

Just need to make it now and pattern it to see how it handles through the gun.
Gran16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new gun and welcome. The look most people give you when they ask what your shooting and you say a 16 is interesting especially when it’s someone older.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Take the BP stuff with a grain of salt. Some of their data is a bit "harsh". Approach with caution. I backed down one of their steel shot loads by a grain and still had an occasional pierced primer. That was my starting load. Backed off the throttle a bit more...

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Welcome. The 525 is a very versatile gun. Mine is right around 7lbs, and is nice for clay games. It's light enough to carry afield, although I often choose something SxS/DT and a bit lighter if I'm walking a bit.

The factory oil finish can be improved on with a few coats of your favorite stock oil.

Enjoy!
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 am  Reply with quote

I love that look!

It's the kind cockeyed glance like, "what the heck is he doing with that heap of metal?"

But until you put one in your hands and actually get to shoot it -- you'll never understand.

I had told myself that I was going to buy one 16 for my gun collection and be done. But that ship has sailed. I have a feeling buying in this gauge is like eating potato chips: you're never going to stop at one.
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Welcome. The 525 is a very versatile gun. Mine is right around 7lbs, and is nice for clay games. It's light enough to carry afield, although I often choose something SxS/DT and a bit lighter if I'm walking a bit.

The factory oil finish can be improved on with a few coats of your favorite stock oil.

Enjoy!

16'er -- Thanks! I have done a light coating so far with old ripped up t-shirt.
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Take the BP stuff with a grain of salt. Some of their data is a bit "harsh". Approach with caution. I backed down one of their steel shot loads by a grain and still had an occasional pierced primer. That was my starting load. Backed off the throttle a bit more...

Thanks for the heads up -- I have heard that BP load data is not always the most accurate. I am trying to see if I can take some of the powder throws in them and step them down a little bit. Fortunately the 1 oz load I am looking at is identical across 3 other recipes, from 27 - 30 grns (hunting load).
df
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

My experience with the BP loads is “don’t take them at all”
I had their 16 ga manual of loads. It seemed to maximize the number of componants in a load and the stack heights were off.
That manual went in the trash.
I live 20 miles from them and buy lots of stuff there.
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

df wrote:
WyoChukar wrote:

My experience with the BP loads is “don’t take them at all”
I had their 16 ga manual of loads. It seemed to maximize the number of componants in a load and the stack heights were off.
That manual went in the trash.
I live 20 miles from them and buy lots of stuff there.

df, I know we are getting more into a reloading forum here, but which manual would you recommend for a first timer looking to shoot mostly clays and pheasant?