16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New browning a5 sweet 16 HELP TO DECIDE
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:14 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Good move on the straight grip. It just makes sense on a light gun that is intended for upland hunting. Back when I had an 1100, I did the same and loved the difference.

Did you get a small jar of that dark stain from the stock guy for touch up work? Such things are a devil to match up when the time comes.

Nah, they are just tools. I enjoy stock work myself, so the stains I have on hand are plenty good enough if I ever needed a touch-up. I'm a little fussier with my doubles, but not really, they are field grades, too.
TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:51 am  Reply with quote

Love mine as well. 26” version. Really happy with it, with the long receiver the 26 is perfect for me. Almost seems like a de facto 28”

Several hundred rounds through it on trap and skeet field, with no issues. Used for grouse and woodcock last year and it’s been on a few preserve pheasant walks. Had one fail to eject with a RGL on a pheasant hunt but I’m not convinced it wasn’t operator error.

I didn’t think I’d spend the money on a stock conversion but grouse season changed my mind. Pistol grip is really fat.

I actually got a decent hunk of wood on mine, but didn’t even realize it until the stock guy sent me a pic of it in process after he had stripped off all the gloss and stain Dave mentioned above.

I’ll try and get some before/after pics up here if I can figure out a hosting site.
nek69
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Erickson"]I have a 28" A5 Sweet 16 and mine has been reliable and not ammo fussy at all. I've handled my friend's 26" version and they feel very similar. Had I known they were so easy with which to hit I might have went with the 26" because I think they look a little more balanced. That said, mine weighs 5 3/4 pounds on the nose and it's well suited to either the woods or prairie.

The only nit I had was with the pistol grip. I do a lot of one handed carrying, and the steep factory pistol grip was not a good match for me, so I had it changed. Not a cheap job, but it was done right, and my stock guy wouldn't let it out of his shop without a complete recheckering of the whole gun. The wood was painfully plain, and my stocker said it was literally white after it was stripped. We went with a very dark stain and I like the effect, much better than the way it was. Browning has a little gimmick going on these SW16’s where they somehow apply some dark stain-smudges for a pseudo fiddleback effect. At first glance it gives the appearance of nicer, more figured wood.

I've owned 12 gauge versions of the "new" A5 since they came out in 2012. I really like the platform. My 12's also have been dead reliable. I use a 30” camo model for ducks, and I have a 26" 12 gauge Hunter for when I want more gun when I’m out of state on the prairies and “on the clock.” My 12 weighs 6 lbs. 8 oz. and just like the Sweet 16 it's an easy gun to shoot. It had a little better wood and I also had it converted to a straight stock. It’s my “prairie howitzer.”

Hi Dave
I would like to ask you because you have both versions(12&16)if 16 has a smaller size(dimensions) than the 12 version.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Nek, the receiver length is the same, but the SW16 is slimmer from top to bottom and side to side.
hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:23 am  Reply with quote

Hope I'm not out of line but for those of you that had the stocks converted to a straight grip, what the cost to do this? Also, who did you use? I'm not familiar with any "great" gunsmiths locally. Thanks
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:37 am  Reply with quote

our Uncle Dan Fan could probably do it in his sleep !!

Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have been having a great summer with mine. Have accounted for around 500 crows and woodpigeons so far. I have been shooting mostly 1oz loads and a few heavier 1 1/4 oz loads that I threw together and recoil has been sweet.
I cannot however get mine to cycle anything less than 1oz. Had a nightmare with 26 gram fibre wad loads.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Have accounted for around 500 crows and woodpigeons so far

That's splendid shooting anywhere...decoys & caller or pass shooting?

B.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:
Have accounted for around 500 crows and woodpigeons so far

That's splendid shooting anywhere...decoys & caller or pass shooting?

B.

Decoying on stubble fields and farm yards. A few assaults on flightlines too.