16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 ga Load (2 9/16")
kjack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I picked up a red and green Remington box at an auction site. . Ammo was made in Mexico.

Box is full and shells are plastic with an overshot wad. I can interpret the Spanish (smokeless, waterproof, non-corrosive). There is a single "0" on a sticky label. I have no idea how many shot are in this size and I hate to sacrifice a round to find out. Anyone know?

I don't use any of the photo hosts, so I can't post pictures. [Anyone willing to accept an email and do the post? I've resized the pictures so I won't blow up your email.]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

The best I can tell its that those may be size "0" buckshot. If so, I would imagine 8 or 9 pellets would be the payload. Buckshot loads generally give away their identity since the hull will look a bit lumpy where the monster pellets lay inside.

kjack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Surprisingly few lumpy looking shells. Rather than sacrifice one by surgery, I guess I’ll just wait and shoot one. Novel idea!

However, my 16 is propositioned in another state, so I may be forced to pick up another shooter (see WTB ad)

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hold one in front of a very bright light. Plastic hulls are sort of a see through proposition if enough light is used. Some more than others.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 am  Reply with quote

Remington in 1961 built a plant in Mexico they later abandoned their Mexican operation, today it's known as Aguila Ammunition. Usually 16 gauge Buckshot is #1 Buck but it could be O buck.
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/7/14/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-aguila-ammunition/