16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Citori 16 gauge
blackdogsrule
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have heard conflicting info on the number of these guns that were recently manufactured. I have also been told that Browning will not manufacture these in the future. Can anyone shed some light on this as I own 4 of these excellent pieces.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

I've heard the same line, only about every time they come out with another run of them. "It's gonna be the last one for sure." I've heard the same line at least four times so far since 1994. I was also told last year by a supposed Browning insider that the Citori was slated for replacement by the Cynergy. I was fairly convinced such was the case when they brough out the little gauges.

Now, I'd opt for who the heck knows. Any company that discontinues a solidly selling item or variation thereof to gamble on a slow selling unknown is probably being headed by a former Remington exec. Laughing So its anyone's guess I guess.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Reckon they use that as a sales gimmick?????
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I doubt Browning does. They are like most other companies--cryptic.

However, I would not put it past the lower echelons of the sales structure. All's fair in love, war, and sales promotions I guess. Doesn't matter. If someone wants a new one, now is the time. these guns just never seem to go down in price. Just look for the best price available now. That's about it. Next year, they will be higher. They always are.
blackdogsrule
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I should have posted this under General Discussion. These 16 ga. Citoris are excellent shooting guns. 3 of the 4 I have are unfired in the box. I am reluctant to shoot them because of the rumor that Browning will not manufacture them again.

I believe they will as soon as the current dealers sell out, They will get together and order another " special run" at higher prices. I know I would if I ran Browning. Keep supply low and demand steady and raise prices.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

I bought most of mine used when nobody really wanted them or just prior to when the demand came on. I'm also partial to the pre 1994 long tang guns. Don't ask me why. It's like asking why I like chocalate ice cream. I just do.

However, these older models are starting to command a premium. Why? Who knows. Some would probably say the older ones are made better. This last batch has not been the best QC wise. This never hurts the older ones. Frankly, I think this is a non-issue given Browning's warranty service track record.

That is probably why its rare to see a screwed up older Citori, unless it was done by some ham handed gun customizer or through neglect. Most with problems went back long ago to be fixed, and were. Even screwed up ones can be serviced and redone. Arnold, MO does nice work on these too. Its not free but it is reasonable considering some of the prices I've seen for quality repair and refinishing work.

But a rising tide floats all boats. As the new prices rise, so does the value of the earlier ones. All mine are now worth considerably more than what I paid for them. I doubt I'll be buying anymore unless I get them at a very, very attractive price. This is getting very hard to do now. How many of one model does one really need anyway--especially a gun as rugged and reliable as a Citori. I doubt I will ever wear one out.