16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Check out my new Remington 1100 16 ga full choke
Bromel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am new to the 16 gauge community due to my recent acquisition of a Remington 1100 16 gauge in full choke. I had been searching for a used Remington 1100 12 gauge to join my buddies for some pheasant hunting this coming fall, but I haven't had an extra $1,000 laying around, so I was mostly looking and learning.

Then, one day a few weeks ago I was at the range/gun shop and stopped to take a look at the used shotguns. They had this beauty on the shelf and it looks completely unused. There is almost no wear on the blueing and I would guess it is at 99%. Even the gas cylinder shows 100% blueing like it has never been shot! The wood is in beautiful shape with no scratches at all. I called Remington, and they told me that it was manufactured in April 1964. So my guess is that somebody found this in Grandpa's closet and sold it to the gun shop.

How much do you think I paid for this gem? And how much do you think it is worth?

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Bromel
Welcome to the site on your first posting

A VENT rib 99% Remington 1100 is a treasure to find Shocked

Well done, well done

Mike

Bromel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Hello Bromel
Welcome to the site on your first posting

A VENT rib 99% Remington 1100 is a treasure to find Shocked

Well done, well done

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Do you have any idea what the value of this gun might be? I know it is only worth the amount that someone is willing to pay. But I suspect that in the 16 gauge community there might be a good demand for this one. Just wondering if my impulsive purchase was really a good deal or not...
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

As may would say, its worth what you paid for it. That being said, it looks like a real nice find. Gunbrokers had 6-7 right now and they run from about 500 to 1000. The guns on the higher end never get a bid so that might be a stretch.

Enjoy the new toy.

Bill
Bromel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

William J. siefert wrote:
As may would say, its worth what you paid for it. That being said, it looks like a real nice find. Gunbrokers had 6-7 right now and they run from about 500 to 1000. The guns on the higher end never get a bid so that might be a stretch.

Enjoy the new toy.

Bill

I've been watching these on Gunbroker, and I saw one sell last week without a vented rib for $900.

But mine is only worth $120!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to our world. That's a nice clean 1100. My first gun was an 1100, but in 12ga. It belonged to a trap shooter first, so it had much ammo run through it before Dad picked it up at the hardware store. I was a country kid and once I traded for a Mec 650, I probably put another 50,000 rounds through it. Who knows, but things were getting sloppy in the trigger group by time I quit using it. You have a ways to go and a fun time to get there!

67galaxie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

Light and tight! Good job sir!
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:23 am  Reply with quote

I also have one from the first year of production that I paid $400 for, but it came with two extra barrels. The lack of a stress relieve cut behind the bolt slot shows it was built before 1966, when Remington added that feature to all 1100 receivers because of cracking. Looking at your pics, check the rear trigger assembly pin. It should be flush with the side of the receiver, not protruding.

All parts, aside from the barrel and bolt, are the same as the 12-gauge 1100.
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats on a great purchase. Maybe you'll bring it to the Sweet 16 shoot in St Paul in May?

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:46 am  Reply with quote

The guy who prices their guns needs to brush up on gun values. You did very,very well. Beware with 16's you can never own just one. Very Happy
RLR390
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:56 am  Reply with quote

You sure the tag wasn't $1200 and the guy at the gun shop misread it?!!
Bromel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 am  Reply with quote

RLR390 wrote:
You sure the tag wasn't $1200 and the guy at the gun shop misread it?!!

The gun had a tag that said $139. I asked the guy if the gun was broken, and he said no it was fine. I asked several times why they had it marked so low. He told me that they have a blue book of gun values and that they just follow what it says. He offered to let me buy some ammo and test it on their range, but then we discovered that they didn't have any 16 gauge shells in stock. So I told him that I was hesitant to buy it without shooting it and talked him down to $120. Then he threw in a free range pass that is worth $20, so I really only paid $100 for it. I think that I did a pretty good job buying my first pheasant gun!

Last edited by Bromel on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Bromel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 am  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
The lack of a stress relieve cut behind the bolt slot shows it was built before 1966, when Remington added that feature to all 1100 receivers because of cracking.

Do I need to find a gunsmith who can install the stress relief cut? Is this something I have to worry about?
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 am  Reply with quote

NO, leave it alone
No issues, I have shot literally 100s of thousands of rounds through Rem 1100 and no issues.
But I shoot very FEW baby magnum loads.

Mike