16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Check out my new Remington 1100 16 ga full choke
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Bromel wrote:
DanLee wrote:
The lack of a stress relieve cut behind the bolt slot shows it was built before 1966, when Remington added that feature to all 1100 receivers because of cracking.

Do I need to find a gunsmith who can install the stress relief cut? Is this something I have to worry about?

No, just watch for the beginning of a crack. As far as I know, the cracking was a problem only in the 12. but since the standard 1100s in 12, 16, and 20 gauge shared the same receiver, the stress relief cut was a production feature of them all. I doubt that 16-gauge ammo, even 1-1/4 oz magnum duck loads, generates the bolt speed of the 12-gauge baby magnums. Remington also did not put a plastic buffer in the back of the 16 and 20 gauge gauge standard bolts. I've seem no evidence of bolt impact in my 1100, and I've put some very heavy loads (for a 16 gauge) through it.

When the LW receiver came out, the stress relief cut was retained mostly for cosmetic reasons. A plastic buffer was added to the back of the LW receiver, probably because of the lighter bolt weight.
duckdup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Bromel"][quote="RLR390"]You sure the tag wasn't $1200 and the guy at the gun shop misread it?!![/quote]

The gun had a tag that said $139. I asked the guy if the gun was broken, and he said no it was fine. I asked several times why they had it marked so low. He told me that they have a blue book of gun values and that they just follow what it says. He offered to let me buy some ammo and test it on their range, but then we discovered that they didn't have any 16 gauge shells in stock. So I told him that I was hesitant to buy it without shooting it and talked him down to $120. Then he threw in a free range pass that is worth $20, so I really only paid $100 for it. I think that I did a pretty good job buying my first pheasant gun![/quote]

It is too bad you will not be able to find ammo for that obsolete gauge. No wonder they sold it so cheaply... Laughing Laughing Laughing

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have 30,000 + rounds through my 16 gauge 1100 and even with some reasonably stout loads there are no receiver issues, or any evidence that the bolt is smacking the back of the receiver.

Something to remember, action springs and springs in general are not forever parts. Springs do lose their tension and will not do their job properly even if you don't notice it. Replace the action spring every few years and some of these issues will be non-issues. The bolt smacking into the receiver is one of them.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

You know, a thought occurs to me, other than the fact that you were the right guy- at the right place- at the right time...to get the deal of the century. With only $120 invested, that frees up money for a few things: reloader and components, choke tube conversion, and even a little stock upgrade. I see used stocks, pretty ones, occasionally for sale on the used gun sites for attractive prices. I believe that the 12 ga. stocks fit just the same. You could end up with an absolutely amazing gun and everything to keep it well fed for not a whole lot of dough!

Bromel
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 am  Reply with quote

I just noticed that one very similar to mine sold on Gunbroker the other day for $1,100:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/753214340
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am  Reply with quote

I guess that leaves you with $980 worth of "extras"...whatever you may wish them to be.

Bromel
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I guess that leaves you with $980 worth of "extras"...whatever you may wish them to be.

I think this is a pretty interesting case study on gun values. It's interesting how widely the prices vary for this specific model. Even on Gunbroker they are going for $400 to $1,100. And why does my gun shop's blue book say it is valued at $139? I guess the total number of 16 gauge 1100's is small enough so that a more standard value is not well established.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

I looked at my most recent copy (36th) and have no idea where he got the $139 figure from. For that matter, 16 ga.guns receive a 25% premium. not having Rem Chokes deducts 10%. Book values tend to be a bit low based on what I have seen most guns actually selling for, probably just a bartering point for dealers. Your gain anyway.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

A great deal on a really nice Remmie. Congrats.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Bromil,

All of my 1100's were sold years ago, and I had some nice one's for Turkery hunting and Trap shooting, even had the changeable barrels.

However i do have one 16 Gauge Semi-Auto that i keep around, she is light, choked C for Grouse hunting and the girls love the little Quail and Grouse gun very much. The recoil is so light you hardly know you fired the gun.

Great Home Security Gun also.

Pine Creek/Dave

The lightly Engraved hunting scenes on both side of the receiver are cool also.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53646_800x600/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53647_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
NW BIRDHUNTER
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I saw a nice one with choke tubes sell a few weeks ago on Gunbroker for $1475.00 I believe it was a lightly used classic model.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:37 am  Reply with quote

I'm jealous.
Bromel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

One of my hunting buddies said that I should sell it for $1,000 and buy a used 1100 in 12 gauge.

I only plan to hunt pheasants, turkeys and ducks. After doing some reading on the subject, I feel like 16 gauge will be just fine for my targets. Especially since Kent is making a good Bismuth shell with 5 shot. I should be good to go.