16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  First time pheasant hunter
stevezz
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 am  Reply with quote

So I'm a fairly inexperienced bird hunter. Mostly dove hunting and lots of clays. A friend is setting up a pheasant hunt this fall at a ranch in Michigan. With my new mec 16 gauge reloader in hand I have been looking up data. Most everything I see reccomended is a 1 1/8th oz load around 1300+fps. Heres where my "research" has me questioning things. Again, from what I've read a 1 1/4oz load from a 12 gauge has a very good rep on these birds. A 1 1/4oz load of #4 shot has a pellet count of about 169. A 1oz load of #4 shot has a pellet count of about 135 and 170 for #5 shot. Assuming I put these loads together and they pattern well, is a 1oz load of #5 shot enough to get the job done well? The VERY LAST thing I want to do is cripple a bird just cause I wanted to be able to use 1 wad for everything. Again I'm not an experienced bird hunter. If I'm wrong please tell me.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:05 am  Reply with quote

On preserve pheasants, which is what I'm guessing you are talking about, I go with 1 1/8 oz of nickel plated #6's at about 1250. For wild pheasant, I go up to #5's. Pheasants are notorious runners if injured and not cleanly killed. A dead pheasant generally tumbles out of the air, where a wounded bird will often have it's head up looking for an escape route as they come down. If you see the head up, shoot again if possible. A good dog is invaluable in recovering a wounded pheasant, and I like mine to break on the flush to get the on the birds quicker. DON'T shoot the dog!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 am  Reply with quote

As for wild birds, I have killed hundreds with 1 1/8 oz. of #5 shot at only 1200fps. The load is reliable out to 50 yards with appropriate amounts of choke, provided I center the bird; if I don't, well nothing works well on a poor shot. I have used 1 oz. loads of 5 with favorable results at mid range and often put that load in the right barrel of my double.

Pen raised birds? A slingshot and a green walnut oughta get the job done. All kidding aside, pen raised birds are easier to bag. They hold well, resulting in closer shots. These birds also surrender easier. Many folks do good with 7 1/2 or 6 shot in this situation, but I would use 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. of 5's on release birds to avoid munching so many pellets come dinner time.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Does the Preserve have a recommendation?

Pellet size is but one component of killn’ stuff....is the gun appropriate to the task along with the gauge, choke, load, distance, knowing when not to shoot Idea and more will tell the tale of the day.

Have fun....and buy one box of 1 1/8-6s in a 16 gauge..and give IC a consideration....by the bye, the make of the shell matters not a whit.
I often choose based upon the box graphic or color.

Wood to wood. Idea Smile
stevezz
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys. I'll probley be taking a browning auto 5 the gun has a poly choke now, but hopfully by then will have Briley thin walls in it. Thinkking about getting light mod, mod, and full chokes. My 11-87 premier will go as a backup.
John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

I know that a few shooting preserves here in Michigan have a maximum shot size of #6 lead. At least one preserve (Rooster Ranch LLC near Hanover, MI) requires steel shot with a maximum size of #4.

You may wish to inquire if there is a shot type or size restriction.

In any event, you are hunting pheasants. They are not invincible. I contend that any shotgun firing at least an ounce of #6, or #5, or #4 lead shot with a velocity of 1200 fps or greater (or 1 oz of steel shot of #4, #3, or #2 at 1350 fps or greater) is enough to kill any pheasant within 35 yards.

Like somebody else already mentioned, preserve pheasants tend to sit tight and flush within reasonable range.

I wish you the best. Have a great time.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Remember to shoot for the head like it was a dove and you will be fine. There is an awful lot of a pheasant that only amounts to keister and tail!

John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Like WyoChukar just mentioned, it is always better to shoot a pheasant in the end where the corn goes in than the end where the corn comes out.

Also, take the time to center your bird. Your eyes have a natural tendency to focus on the fastest moving object in your line of sight like the wings of a flushing bird.

Unfortunately, many pheasants are knocked down and lost each year because they are shot through a wing or the arse end.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Stevezz,

I do not roll my own any longer and use the Golden Pheasant#5 & #6 and the Fiocchi stuff also. Both are real good Pheasant loads.

If you are Pheasant hunting out west make sure you have a good dog.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 am  Reply with quote

I’ll give a plus 1 to the above comments. Preserve pheasants aren’t the same bird as a wild rooster. They’ll hold tighter and not run as much after they’re down. If a wild bird goes down head up with two good legs, you better have a good dog. If a preserve dog does the same, they’re just as likely to hole up in a weed pile.

I carry my early Ithaca 37 20 guage on wild birds opening weekend. 1 ounce of 6s. I like 5s in a 12, but try and get some more pellet count in the 20. With my 16 it’s 1 1/8 ounce from a Golden Pheasant.

Wild or tame birds, center their front half with your shot and they’ll die. I’d likely use an IC choke and 6s or even 7 1/2s for your hunt.
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:12 am  Reply with quote

All you need is 1 ounce of sixes. regular velocity 1200 fps or less.