16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Recommendation for a 16...
RedRiverII
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Good Morning and wow. What a terrific amount of replies. Thank you all. I currently use a SP 686 12g for clays. I've owned several shotguns and sold them off for one reason or another. I've enjoyed all of them for their characteristics. I've enjoyed one mule kicker because it kicked like a mule. I like the rough stuff at times, reminds me that we're men.

Red River the movie. Coming from a broken home any father/son theme hit me kind of hard. I still am of the belief that it is one of the better Westerns available.

Most of all I'd like to fire a 16, just to get the feel of the gauge. I'm aware that weight will negotiate recoil, but I have no basis for making a decision.

A side note, I've already ordered ammo and wads for the 16. It won't be the first time I've ordered ammo, then the gun.

I'm leaning toward a sxs, I did use a Savage sxs when I last hunted with that group of WWII guys.

Thank you all for a very informative thread.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 am  Reply with quote

I am a sxs lover. I have all configurations of the 16ga as variety is the spice , Yes? I have a Dickinsen sxs that I like because it is a modern manufactured brand new gun. It is built with modern technology but in the older sxs style that I like so much.
I spend the winter months here in Down East Maine rebuilding sxs guns that have seen better days. I put them back into service and what I have learned is that every brand has its shortcomings some worse than others but all due to what the current metallurgy had to offer the maker during the era of the guns manufacture. There are plenty of modern sxs guns out there if you want to part with $3,000.00 or more, I payed $1,100.00 for the Dickinsen which I think is a comparable piece.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Darn, I just looked for my copy of Red River and it's missing! If it's not in the camper, I know who has it and I am shooting with him this afternoon.

If I had to go back to only owning one 16ga. ( a decision I hope I never have to make) I think it would be the Fox or the Lefever DS. The Lefever has the advantage of being adjustable for wear. However the Fox guns are easy to maintain and seldom need anything. I have run several thousand rounds through my Sterlingworth during the three years I have owned it with zero problems in weather from 90 degrees down to deep in sub zero territory. It just works and looks good doing it. Feels great in the hands too. Be forewarned that the mod and full choke designation on these Fox guns is more like full and extra full. I reamed my left choke until it was .008" tighter than the right (so called modified) tube before it would pattern #5 lead properly. It soaks a pattern paper at 50 yards.

RedRiverII
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:40 am  Reply with quote

$3000 I understand. That's why I want to shoot a lesser gun for awhile and see if I enjoy the gauge for shooting. I've seen a few 16's that are outstandingly awesome as far as looks go. I'm too new to offer any knowledgeable opinion on manufacturers.

WYO, if you need a RedRiver 'loaner' I know where mine is and can send it out. I think I bought 5 copies of movies I want at hand. You know that, "... if I were trapped indoors for a long time which movies would I want with me." Red River, Last of the Mohicans, Troy, Officer and a Gentleman, and The Last Samurai.

I may buy a Model 12 pump just to get the sense of what a 16 can do. I will buy more than one shotgun, I'd be lying to say otherwise. My antennae goes on alert when I run across the words, Fox, NID, Nitro, and I'm going to look into some unfamiliar names.

RedRiverII
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:50 am  Reply with quote

$3000 I understand. That's why I want to shoot a lesser gun for awhile and see if I enjoy the gauge for shooting. I've seen a few 16's that are outstandingly awesome as far as looks go. I'm too new to offer any knowledgeable opinion on manufacturers.

WYO, if you need a RedRiver 'loaner' I know where mine is and can send it out. I think I bought 5 copies of movies I want at hand. You know that, "... if I were trapped indoors for a long time which movies would I want with me." Red River, Last of the Mohicans, Troy, Officer and a Gentleman, and The Last Samurai.

I may buy a Model 12 pump just to get the sense of what a 16 can do. I will buy more than one shotgun, I'd be lying to say otherwise. My antennae goes on alert when I run across the words, Fox, NID, Nitro, and I'm going to look into some unfamiliar names.

bobski
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

ehhhh.... just spring for a model 21 and be done.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

The Searchers and the Quiet Man two other good names ,too Smile

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Red River is in the camper, I'm good!

As far as what the 16 ga. will do is concerned I will relate the following. Up to 40 yards it matches anything. With the right choke and load combo it can do 50 reliably, but not every load strained through a full choke will do that consistently. On the other end of things, an open choke 16 is a wonder in the woods and likewise with ducks in flooded timber. The shells are a tad smaller/ less bulky so if you like putting shells in your front pants pockets like I do, you can put more of them in there comfortably.

Your buddies won't bum shells. The 16 bore will make you look more handsome in the eyes of the opposite sex and women will go sterile merely by being in your presence. Children will gather around you, an obvious sage, eagerly awaiting crumbs of wisdom shared by a 16 gauge man. Mensa will seek your leadership. Birds shall surrender in awe when they realize that you indeed have risen to the rank of "16 gauge gentleman". The camera adds ten pounds yet a 16 will subtract twenty. You will be as John Wayne at your local shooting range, offering no fear to the opposition and carrying yourself with a pride and esteem that others secretly admire. Royalty will dwell within you, a pleasant side effect of carrying the hallowed purple hull. Traffic lights will all turn green as you drive to your favorite covers where pleasant breezes carry the aura of autumn for your pleasure and yours alone. Yes the 16 is an alluring way of life, an experience not to be avoided.

RedRiverII
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I thought that was Brylcreem.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:36 am  Reply with quote

They still make that stuff? Unlike Brylcream, with 16's a little dab won't do ya! More is better.

Rick O
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

...I'm a dyed in the wool Model 12 guy but were I buying a first sixteen gauge pump, I would opt for a lightly used Early 870.

1950-1954 'ish

Unlike the Model 12, the 870 eats any type of ammo without a hiccup and, IMO, come up, fit and feel better too.
The later post mid fifties and on ones seem to be bulkier to me.

And, It's "just an 870", so you can have choke tubes installed without guilt or fear of reprimand Smile
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

I vote for an 870. They swing well, are incredibly reliable, almost any gunsmith can work on it if need be and it should eat all sorts of ammo. Speaking of which, what kind ammo did you buy? What kind of wads? Sounds like you want to reload for it already.
Regards,
Jeff
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Try them all, then get a light 16 sxs hammer gun and you'll never want to shoot anything else. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan Fan,

Got to agree with you about the light Hammer Gun, she is one of my favorites also!

Pine Creek/Dave

1913 - 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Hammer GUN - America's Best.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53761_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Browning Auto 5 Sweet 16.....do not fight the obvious, embrace the shuffle and the shuck.