16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off Topic - Boots
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 am  Reply with quote

I need to try some Mucks. I've had pretty good luck with LaCrosse rubber boots, but I'm back in the market for a decent upland rubber type boot. Makes crossing those little "cricks" a lot easier.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 am  Reply with quote

I've been using Bean's Snow Sneakers the last two years. Lightweight, waterproof, and a good tread. I don't hunt in the wet much anymore, though. If I did, I'd use my Maine Hunting Shoes now going on 30 years.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Wyo, Northface doesn’t show that boot anymore, do you know what might be close to that style you mentioned?

————————-

df, what Under Armour boot?

Thanks for all the replies I want as many options as possible. I didn’t know that some of these brands existed.

KEEP THEM COMING!!!

Happy Easter!!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Darn. It was on their website a few weeks ago, under the winter boots section or hiking boots section. I'm glad I bought another pair yesterday and my local shop. Perhaps there is a new version coming shortly. I wouldn't be surprise if something shows up in a few months.

Ebay will likely have them but watch out for the copies with the white soles, you don't want those (publish-x). These boots run true to size. Amazon may have them too. I have some older NF boots that I really like for more extreme work (canyons+snow) but can't get those anymore.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Which model Muck boot do you guys like for upland?

The Wetland model (it might be Wetlander) works well for me in the U.P. It works for the dew in the mornings and the wet areas. I switch out to leather after the dew starts to dry up. They are also great in the winter with plenty of grip and warmth if you pheasant hunt in cold snowy weather. I use them for shoveling the driveway or taking hikes in the snow. If you are in a really cold area of WI you might want to check out a second pair for winter called the “Arctic”.

If you are moving the Wetland model will keep your feet toasty down to 10 or maybe a little below zero. They are rated for -20, but I don’t think they will keep you warm at that temp unless you are on a forced march.

Good Hunting,
Mike
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Muck. I like the chore boot a little lower about 9". More comfortable for me any way. Works we with snow shoes.

Joe

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:
Which model Muck boot do you guys like for upland?

The Wetland model (it might be Wetlander) works well for me in the U.P. It works for the dew in the mornings and the wet areas. I switch out to leather after the dew starts to dry up. They are also great in the winter with plenty of grip and warmth if you pheasant hunt in cold snowy weather. I use them for shoveling the driveway or taking hikes in the snow. If you are in a really cold area of WI you might want to check out a second pair for winter called the “Arctic”.

If you are moving the Wetland model will keep your feet toasty down to 10 or maybe a little below zero. They are rated for -20, but I don’t think they will keep you warm at that temp unless you are on a forced march.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Mike, those sound perfect. Thanks!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

First, thanks to you, WyoChukar for the excellent testimonial and advice on the boots you prefer. I'll have to check them out.

I've used a few different boots. I just threw out my Cabelas lightweight fabric-sided boots. I had them for 18 years, but I had worn them out from sole to upper, and hadn't used them for a few years. Thought I'd overhaul them and get new soles and fix the holes, but I guess I won't. Loved them -- light weight, great for early season dry country -- not so waterproof after a year or so.

Have some Danner Sharptails -- OK, but not my favorite. A shorter boot. For early season prairie upland work now, I have some Redwings -- great boot, wear well, good sole, decent waterproofing. I generally use the least insulation I can find. I suppose I'd need more if I was not moving, as in the duck blind, but I just use better socks then. For pheasant, where it can get wet sometimes in the cattails, and for duck hunting, I have taken to using LaCrosse Alpha Burly tall rubber boots. They seem to fit me well (surprised me), I can walk all day in them without blisters, and though I've worn the camo scheme off the toes of my first pair, they still don't leak and work as well as the day I bought them. They also are my go-to boot for shoveling the snow off my driveway in the winter -- which I will not be doing anymore, since I sold that driveway, and the house to which it led, and intend to spend my winters in warmer climes.

Cheers!
Tony
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Like Chicago, I switch frequently between my Danner Pronghorns and Muck boots. Danners are going to leak--sooner than later--lesson learned. Wont buy any more of them, but bought 2 pair at deep discount, so still have NIB pair. Was thinking about buying a pair of Gumleaf rubber boots--a little expensive, but on a long hunt with wet feet, they may be well worth it. Anybody tried Gumleaf?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I have a pair of Muck boots. This is a boot that fills its niche well and I love them, but not for upland hunting. I wouldn't call them light but they are handy for crossing shallow streams when I fish such places. I wouldn't want to spend all day hiking in them. As far as keeping my feet dry, they sort of do. They don't leak, but I sweat in them so basically I am choosing between warm wet feet and cold wet feet. Warm is better, but I won't pretend my socks stay dry. For hunting around shallow marshes they are ideal (think snipe hunting) as long as the cattle haven't pock marked the marsh deeply (no ankle support).Sidehilling steep hills is not a strong point either.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I still have a couple old pair of Browning Green light weights I keep re soling, one darn good pair of Danner Grouse Boots, and a couple pair of Brown LL Beans. May pick up a pair of Russell Turtle skins this coming season. I like and wear all those different hunting boots.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 am  Reply with quote

My favorite upland boots are a brand called Kenetrek. The boots are expensive, have an aggressive lug sole, waterproof, insulted with Thinsulate and actually give the me an uplifting feeling when I walk. It's as if the boots were assisting me with each step. They are also a Chukker hunters delight as the edge of soles will support my weight when very little edge is making contact.

When needed I wear Muck Boots for chores around the ranch during inclement weather and a pair of slip on Red Wings at all other times.
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Dogchaser37"]I am looking for a boot for Midwest pheasants/quail/grouse hunting.

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

Good Hunting,
Mike
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Looking at North Face, Under Armour, LL Bean and Keens right now. But certainly haven't figured it out yet.

I have until September!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:51 am  Reply with quote

I have a pair of danner sharptails I like a lot. I also have a pair of “muck” style under amor, and a pair of schnees with wool liners.