16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off Topic - Boots
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I've been real happy with my Meindl Denalis from Cabelas. They've been dry and good to my feet. Just tromped around snowy northern Iowa today in mine. (one rooster)
Striker_303
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 am  Reply with quote

My Lowa Elite Desert combat boots never failed me. But at the price I paid for them, I'd be quite aggravated if they ever failed me in the two decades following the purchase! Laughing
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am  Reply with quote

With Cold Irons recommendations I ordered a pair of Crispi Titans on a cyber Monday special from Midway usa. Had them out yesterday for a full day of hunting and really liking them so far. Thanks Mike!

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

I wore my Salomon boots for 7 days straight in Nebraska and a couple of days shooting clays, had dry weather so I can’t say much about waterproof. They are very light, comfortable from the start, no break in, warm when the temps dipped into the twenties, they do offer traction on any surface I have used them on.

What I was concerned about was that they don’t look tough, but after 7 days of hunting there isn’t a mark on them.

I will keep updating.

Striker_303
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:18 am  Reply with quote

I bought a pair of Lowa Desert Elite in 2012 before going to Afghanistan, and they're still being more than satisfying... and not just in the desert, they're perfectly fine in the woods or in colder weather (with a good pair of socks) as well. Just don't drag them in a swamp and you'll be fine!
Pockets
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I've been real happy with my Meindl Denalis from Cabelas. They've been dry and good to my feet. Just tromped around snowy northern Iowa today in mine. (one rooster)

How are those boots holding up, Dave?

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I too purchased a set of Salomon Ultra X boots since I have been so pleased with the Chalten model they replaced (still using those too). I must say that I am impressed that the snow traction is slightly better, which is quite an accomplishment. The sole compound is probably unchanged but the new chisel lug design provides amazing bite. I have worn these in the steepest chukar country I can find and they let me do things that normal boots don't, like staying upright.

Now that they have proven themselves and the factory "slick" coatings have washed away I will Auqaseal the stitches where sharp rocks rub the most so I can get extra seasons from the boots. This is important with any boot if you rack up a ridiculous number of miles every month.

I am also a big fan of using Boot Guard on the toe of my boots. One coat is enough even though the directions call for two. Two coats make the toe stiff and that changes how a boot will flex affecting comfort and adding an odd wear/ hinge point. Old fashioned boots constructed of real thick leather won't have much issue with that though and a second coat is no harm there.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Pockets wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

They are holding up just fine. They are rugged and comfortable.
Pockets
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Pockets wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

They are holding up just fine. They are rugged and comfortable.

Good to hear.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
GF1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Will drag this good discussion on a bit.

I bought a pair of Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter boots this past spring, and after a fall hunting antelope, elk, chukars, quail and Hums in Idaho and Wyoming, am very happy with them.

https://lathropandsons.com/lathrop-and-sons-mountain-hunter.html/

Mine have their proprietary footbed, which I had James Lathrop fit to my boots. They have terrific ankle support and are designed for vertical climbing. They seem to rock forward slightly with each step, and feel great, even with a backpack load (packing out elk quarters) or sidehilling in SW Idaho’s big canyon country.

They are not cheap, but for me they were a bargain in performance.