16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2.5" Loads for Turkey
salish
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on loads from 16 gauge turkey hunters.

A few years ago I took a Rio Grande tom with a load of #6 "lite" RST 2.5" shell. This was out of my full choked 1917 Model 12, which has the short chamber. The shot was an easy one, as the tom was coming at me at about 20 yards. The load worked well. I'd like to duplicate this again this year but this time I'll be using RST #5's, 1oz "lite". Again, this is a 2.5 load. I wanted to move to a larger pellet because I don't know if such an easy shot will come up again.

I do have another nickel steel Model 12 in 2.75" 16ga, but the choke is light modified.

If all else fails I have an A5 12 gauge I can use, but I would prefer to use my 101 year old Model 12. I'd be curious if others feel I'm under gunned with this shotgun and load combination. I've only shot one turkey so I'm very inexperienced in shooting them. If you believe all the hype you see on the outdoor shows you should use a modern camo 12ga with a 3.5" chamber with super high-end turkey chokes and specialized loads.

Thanks,
Cliff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

You will sacrifice a lot of pellets going to #5 shot and in such a light charge it could be an issue. Having more punch is useless if you can't depend on pellet strikes in the turkey's head. There is only one way to know, fire a few on paper. Then, if the pattern density is good enough at ranges past where #6 is effective, you have a winner. If not, I guess I would just live with the 6's and work within their limitations.

salish
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
You will sacrifice a lot of pellets going to #5 shot and in such a light charge it could be an issue. Having more punch is useless if you can't depend on pellet strikes in the turkey's head. There is only one way to know, fire a few on paper. Then, if the pattern density is good enough at ranges past where #6 is effective, you have a winner. If not, I guess I would just live with the 6's and work within their limitations.

Makes sense, and I'll try what you suggest. Thank you.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

If you have your own place to test, a couple of wet telephone books with a turkey-head target makes you a measurable penetration test as well as a pattern test.

When ready for a new load test session, I scrounge a pair of matching old phone books, soak them in water, then hang them over a wire at the same page. With the turkey head target pinned to the front, fire and see how many pages each load cut through and count the head pellets.

Smart phones are cutting into my think phone book resources...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

With my loads, I feel the reliable pattern density is 100 shot inside a 10" circle that can be aimed with precision. The 10" circle is about 78 square inches. The odds are stacked against the turkey if this density strikes the head and neck region. The distance where this takes place is the maximum, reliable killing distance assuming sufficient penetration in the head and neck.
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Forget all the phone books and patterning..Do what you did before...Get him in close enough and shoot. Common sense....
salish
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Guys, thanks again, I really appreciate the help. I love the phone book idea, but I haven't got any. I live in Seattle where its illegal to own anything but a smart phone with phone number search software. Seriously, I'll try to pattern a few shells before I head out. Thanks again.

Cliff
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:44 am  Reply with quote

One man's close is another man's too far. Know the limitations of your gun. Not all gun's point of aim and point of impact are the same when the gun is aimed like a rifle. There's only one way to determine that and it isn't shooting at a turkey. Good luck. Gil
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 am  Reply with quote

BS! He did it before...he can do it again...
canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:35 am  Reply with quote

A friend and regular poster here, Wingshooter, just took a tom using a 2 1/2” 16 gauge shell loaded with 1 ounce of #9, using his full choked MF Ideal. Will post photo later. So, yes that load can work. Just know your range.

Last edited by canvasback on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:42 am  Reply with quote

LD, next time someone asks for advice, I'll clear it with you first. You might be surprised to learn that different loads have different points of impact and a turkey deserves more effort that just shooting at one to know if the load hits where the gun is pointed. I've got a few guns that don't have coincidental point of aim and point of impact which would be poor choices for a turkey gun without corrective sights. Turkeys are easy kills if shot in the head and neck, but there's not much worse to mortally wound one that gets away. Gil
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:16 am  Reply with quote

James, Charles Hammack of DR16 fame routinely kills turkeys with high velocity lead 9's. Mike's kill with low pressure and lower velocity are fine within range limits.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Gil s: Please do.....
salish
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

canvasback wrote:
A friend and regular poster here, Wingshooter, just took a tom using a 2 1/2” 16 gauge shell loaded with 1 ounce of #9, using his full choked MF Ideal. Will post photo later. So, yes that load can work. Just know your range.

Thanks Canvasback.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:12 am  Reply with quote

there are some little tricks you can try to tighten down even your regular loads . one of them is our Skeetx's tape trick . I've found it can noticeably tighten some loads . A wrap or 2 of scotch tape around the lower end of the shotcup on the outside has gotten a 1/2 choke tighter when I tried it . Turkey loads are way over rated unless you like PAIN . Try sitting and leaning against a tree and touching off a 3.5" 870 - may take a day or 2 to remember what happened !!