16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Results of LODGH annual Grouse/Woodcock survey
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Looking through the results posted on the GT website for 2011-12, not adding up the numbers but comparing the gauges there were 26 more 12ga listed than 16ga and 85 more 20ga than 12's. That's likely off a couple based on scrolling through and keeping track of one vs the other, and I didn't attempt to eliminate duplicates among res/nonres hunters, but seems representative of what I'd expect to be the order of things both then and now. There are doubtless many one-gun hunters in those numbers, makes sense to shoot a more common gauge if all your shells go through a single gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am  Reply with quote

3BirdDogs,

I thought that was who you were talking about, Bob was good man. Bumped into him when we were both a might younger. The Shinglehouse gang is now missing one of their best.

See you on the other side Walker! Will continue to hunt our Potter County Grouse, and think of you fondly as I do.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:55 am  Reply with quote

kgb,

Interesting look at the ownership of the Shotguns in the GT stats. I know in our mountains here in Potter County, Pa that almost all the families had both 12 and 16 gauge double guns and, at least one M12, 16 Gauge gun also.

Families here passed down their guns with their other family possessions from generation to generation, and depending on the individual families economic position, the men and ladies might own several different Shotgun gauges, made by the different gun companies.

In our mountains from the early 1800's thru the late 1950's Grouse hunting was king. Deer and Turkey were not the prevalent game at that time. Men owned the guns they needed to hunt the birds and the small game that supplemented their food supply on a daily basis.

Not until Nitro powers were developed did men here in our mountains hunt with 28 Gauge double guns. My Grandfather's 28 Gauge Parker, that I learned to Grouse and Woodcock hunt with, was in reality my Grandmother's yard gun, for taking Rabbits and Grouse close to home. We were one of the few families in Potter County back in that era, that actually owned a 28 Gauge double gun. Most double guns were 12 and 16 Gauge in our mountains clear up until the late 60's.

The GT stats pretty closely reflect even today the overall ownership of many families shotguns. In many cases ownership had to due with the families monetary situation and availability of both the shells, and the weapons (Shotguns, Rifles and Hand Guns) being purchased and passed down thru the family. Many families here in our mountains made their own shells & bullets for hunting, up to and including the late 60's.

Pine Creek/Dave

1889 L.C. Smith #2, 20 Gauge one of my Great Grandfathers Woodcock and Mountain Quail Guns, sleeved for 28 Gauge by Briley many years ago.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53783_800x600/] [/URL]

My recently acquired (in the past few Years) 1919 -1926 LeFever/Ithaca 12 gauge on it's 16 gauge Frame, with Krupp Barrels and modified Brown Rotary Bolt. One deadly Bird Gun.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53784_800x600/] [/URL]

3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Dave, thats amazing that you knew Bob. He was really the salt of the earth kind of guy that I have tried to emulate. My own father died when I was just a tyke, and it was guys like Bob that took me under their wing. I always thought of him as an uncle, but he was a cousin. I still talk to his son, and daughetrs frequently. He was in his 90's when he died. Maybe we will meet someday.
Hey Mike, sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.
Harold

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:54 am  Reply with quote

3BirdDogs,

Drop me some private e-mail at Pine-Creek@live.com I now understand you are Harold from WVa, the young man Walker talked so often about.

Pine Creek/Dave

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
3BirdDogs,

Drop me some private e-mail at Pine-Creek@live.com I now understand you are Harold from WVa, the young man Walker talked so often about.

Pine Creek/Dave

That’s pretty neat that you two have that common family thread. Harold (3birdDogs) grouse hunts not too far from where I hang my hat every fall. We keep threatening to try and get together, but so far it hasn’t worked out. Another member has a place just a few miles up the road from where Harold stays and I usually get in a few hunts with him. That fellow was my neighbor when I lived in Marquette and we both moved and lost touch and found each other at this web site.

Small world sometimes.

Good Hunting,
Mike
3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Yes, small world. As I said, I ran into Ken Zabo many years ago in a cover near Barnesville, Ohio--we chatted and he took my name and adress, and sent me a few old copies of Grouse Tales, and 30 years later I still get it. There is very little action in Ohio now, and you almost hate to shoot at the few grouse you find.
I always hunted grouse with a 16 ga, but in the past few years have been using a little VHE 20 Parker and a J. Manton 20 hammer gun with 30" cyl/cyl chokes. My hunting pardner shoots a 20, so it is easier to just bring 1 guage. I am planning on shooting my 2 16 ga hammer guns this year however.
Pine Creek/Dave, I will email you and send you my cell phone--much easier to talk that way.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 am  Reply with quote

3BirdDogs,

Sense you are Walkers relation and he trusted you, I extend you the offer to come Grouse Hunt and stay at our Log Cabin in Potter/Tioga. As kgb will tell ya, I seldom if ever make this offer any more.

You will be made welcome around our big Rock Fire Pit sir. I believe you will enjoy the men we Grouse Hunt with.

Pine Creek/Dave

kgb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Dave, my father was a 12ga guy although we wound up with a single shot 410 at some point as well. I borrowed 16s from an uncle and from my father's friend with the camp north of Roulette. To this day my favorites are still a 16ga pump and a 16ga double.

I thought of you yesterday, a local shop has a straight grip Specialty Grade with a Hunter One Trigger in decent shape except for a Crack going straight back from one of the sideplates. It's a 12ga but not too heavy even with a BT forearm and aftermarket recoil pad.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I may just take you up on that! kgb, I remember now that we turned at Roulette, to get to the Shinglehouse camp . Dave, we also have a mutual friend in Kenny G.(SXSOHIO). I have done a little clays shooting and dog training with him when his Ruby and my Fancy were pups. And speaking of a small world, when Kenny was out in Kansas this year, he started talking to a guy at the restaurant that turned out to be one of my best friends who was also out there pheasant hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 am  Reply with quote

3BirdDogs,

Harold it really is a small world, especially the bird hunting world. I did not know you were friends with Kenny, now that is fantastic. Definitely try to make it over for Grouse season this next year, it will be nice to have you join us.
RGD/Dave

Ken with his 1st Grouse taken on a Grouse hunt in Potter County.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53794_800x600/] [/URL]

We also have some of the Greatest Fly Fishing in the world here in our mountains.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53795_800x600/] [/URL]

kgb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

When I visited with Dave to hunt at his camp in 2016 I took the opportunity to get a pic of my pup on the way back through Roulette. The town is part of his registered name, the library was the first place I thought to look for a sign bearing it.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

kgb,

To bad it was not a 1913 Speciality Grade with the deep Kraus engraving, this past Grouse season I gifted mine to a back woods Potter County boy, who fell in love with mine. His parents are both in heaven now, and he is being raised by his Grandpa and Grandma. Both great back woods Christian mountain people.

He wanted a gun like mine for Christmas, his Grandpa who loves the boy very much, had to tell the boy that it could not happen, he and Grandma could never afford such a Christmas present for him. That little 13 year old back woods Potter County boy, woke up Christmas morning, to find his 16 Gauge Speciality Grade Shotgun, under his Christmas Tree.

Funny thing about that particular 16 Gauge Specialty Grade L.C. Smith Double Gun, it was another 13 year old little boys, Christmas present one time also.

By the way Great picture of your dog!
Pine Creek/Dave

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

You did a very wonderful thing there.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

WYOChukar,

No sir not me, the promise was made that the boy never knows where the gun came from, as far as he knows his grandma and grandpa got him that gun for Christmas some how.

I am confident that my Grandfathers Christmas present when he was 13, will help the boy love his Grandparents even more than he already does. His Grandpa has become his Dad in many ways. I hope the Lord let me be of some small use, to another good Christian Mountain Family. I understand my Grandfather is watching and that he approves of where his Christmas present finally ended up. I know he and God watch always.

Pine Creek/Dave