16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Skeet today with two old Winchesters
bbrown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Got out today and shot a few rounds of skeet with a good friend from church. I took my 1948 Mod 12, and mid fifties Mod97 (both 16s). It was fun, but I had a heck of a time with the Herters purple shells. My RGL reloads did fine, but the Mod 97 wouldn’t eject the factory Herters and several times the Mod12 hung up with the same. The extra weight in the 97 really helped get/ stay out in front of the crossers on 3,4,&5.

Is it wrong that I have almost justified to myself the purchase of a 16ga O/U to shoot up the rest of the three flats of Herters I bought?

Happy shooting gentlemen!

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Ben
PERFECT logic to me Smile
Mike

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

They shoot fine in my M12 but do work better in my LC Smith. I used them one time in my Rem M11 but didn't like chasing down the hulls and even lost a couple in the pond. The M12 didn't thro the empties nearly as far so they were easy to recover then.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

I recently had trouble with Herter's hulls in the Ithaca N.I.D. I just bought. They wouldn't go in. WW CF hulls did. I looked closely and the rim was too wide to fit the existing rim groove at the end of the chambers. It seems that my chambers were cut with the rim groove a wee bit undersized. My other 16's handle the Herter's hull fine. The issue was successfully addressed with very careful hand work. Now the Ithaca measures "standard".

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:26 am  Reply with quote

bbrown wrote:
Is it wrong that I have almost justified to myself the purchase of a 16ga O/U to shoot up the rest of the three flats of Herters I bought?

-Ben

Ben, it would be very wrong of you NOT to purchase a 16 ga. O/U! Wink
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:49 am  Reply with quote

This sounds like your guns are set up to shoot 2 9/16 ammo. It is not just the chamber if the eject port is for shorts then the dont.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
bbrown
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Both are definitely set up for 2.75” from the factory. Unfired they would actually cycle fine, but when fired it was as if the steel head would expand and hang up on the chamber ring. I would fire and pump the action and the extractor wouldn’t be able to hold onto the rim and the shell would stay firmly in the chamber. I could then close the action firmly again and get it to extract with a quick pump. I am looking into replacing the extractor/extractor spring on the Mod97 to see if that helps. I might also polish the chamber on both.

Thanks for the encouragement on the O/U. If you get a nasty PM from my wife just know that I took your advice. Smile

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am  Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a 1400 Winchester. Once reloaded the Herters hulls worked fine but how to shoot up the two flats I had? I bought a M37 Ithaca and it solved the problem.

I then went out and bought a new A-5 and then White Lightening to make sure the problem never happened again. (I may need help.)

Bill
Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:52 am  Reply with quote

William J. siefert wrote:
I had the same problem with a 1400 Winchester. Once reloaded the Herters hulls worked fine but how to shoot up the two flats I had? I bought a M37 Ithaca and it solved the problem.

I then went out and bought a new A-5 and then White Lightening to make sure the problem never happened again. (I may need help.)

Bill

That’s my kinda gun smithing!

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Always good to have a simple gun that will eat anything in order to use up a few shells that will not work in your other ones. Heck, doen't have to be three flats for me.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am  Reply with quote

I agree, best to keep things simple, avoid "mechanized" guns and shoot a gun that is loaded directly into the chamber, by hand. this means getting a double barrel gun for each situation anticipated for clays and hunting - Oh the sacrifices we make.
Rick O
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

...Somewhere here I once posted dimensions for a No Hangup Model 12 ejection port. You need to open that lower front radius and lengthen the port a few thousandths.

If you want to shoot ANY ammo in a 16 Gauge Model 12, I recommend having the port modified to those dimensions.You need to get a skilled machinist with no preconceived notions. The numbers I posted have been trouble free for years and thousands of rounds.

Sixteen gauge 870's seem to consume anything, in my limited experience with them
rdja
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

bbrown wrote:

-Ben

No Ben say it aint so, you meant a SxS right!!!!
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 am  Reply with quote

rdja wrote:
bbrown wrote:

-Ben

No Ben say it aint so, you meant a SxS right!!!!

Resistance is futile (insert heavy Twisted Evil Darth breathing) come to the O/U dark side