16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  April snow thoughts/ gun names
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mart
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

bearman49709 wrote:
mart wrote:
I never really thought about naming guns but a couple have acquired monikers over the years. I like to take a walk with Thomas every now and then. That's a Thomas Bland 2 1/2" 12 bore.

I also take the Colonel moose hunting every year. That one is a left handed model 70 in 400 Whelen.

Very few 400 Whelens were ever chambered, do know if yours was rebored or rebarreled?

Skeettx; you want some snow, between Tuesday the 3rd and the last four days we got over 30" to go on top of what we already had.

My 400 Whelen was built from the ground up on a modern left handed model 70. I was friends with the late gun writer, Michael Petrov who did a lot of research into the history of the 400 Whelen. It was his research, coupled with my desire for a 40 caliber magazine rifle that prompted me to build the gun. I used a reamer based on the original design on the 400 and a local gunsmith friend of mine barrelled the action for me with a Shilen barrel. I opened the barrel channel on the original stock to receive the larger barrel and have been hunting the rifle for several years now. It slays moose and caribou with authority.

Michael started the ball rolling with a great deal of load development around 300 grain bullets. I followed up with more development with 350 and 400 grain bullets and have over 1000 rounds downrange so far in load development.

His two part research article is available on finegunmaking.com, the Steven Dodd Hughes website. I also have electronic copies of the same two articles dispelling the "headspace" myth surrounding the grand old wildcat.

The 400 will easily push a 300 grain Barnes X to 2350 fps and a 400 grain Woodleigh or Hawk RN to 2150, which duplicates the 450/400 Nitro Express ballistics.

It should be noted there are a small but very devoted group of us who shoot 400 Whelens. Many of us share data and experiences on the Accurate Reloading forum and my build was been chronicled on both that forum and the 24 Hour Campfire.

Feel free to PM me if you have an interest in discussing the good Colonel's grand wildcat.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Mike , the Davis morphed thru Davis , Davis & Sons etc , and the Warner joined them later to become Warner/Davis . Just odd that I happened to have both thru odd occurance .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

In our Family most all our double guns have only one real slang name. Our Grandfathers's and Fathers called them Grouse Guns or Bird Guns. Can't ever remember any individual gun having it's own particular alternative name.

We do have Grouse and Bird Guns here, sense long before our current generations were ever born.

Pine Creek/Dave

Top to bottom
Special Ordered 1889 #2 L.C. Smith Grouse Gun.
Special Ordered 1900 OO - 2 Barrel Set Bird Gun.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53863_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
bobski
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 am  Reply with quote

I name my guns as an after thought.........SOLD.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

The only one that I have named has a 'generic' name. My 16ga Winchester Model 24 is 'The Ugly Duckling'.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Here's Annie...hoping to take her to the club tomorrow if the weather holds...

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
S Hillis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

One of my doubles that is very special to me is named Susie. Don't ask me why that name. I couldn't answer that question. But, Susie she is.

Susie is a 16 ga. LC Smith Field Grade Featherweight with a very unusual compilation of options. (1) Ejectors (2) Hunter One Trigger (3) 32" barrels (4) 14 3/4" LOP and much less drop than most.

I came by Susie in a trade at a S x S shoot about 8-9 years ago. I fell asleep holding her in bed and .............we bonded. I awakened holding her, and we've been "an item" ever since.

Susie is a very special girl.........

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/bowhoop/media/IMG_0155_zpse4inr2hm.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/bowhoop/media/IMG_0152.jpg.html] [/URL]

SRH
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Stan, you like 'em tall!

Very neat 16 and a dove's worst nightmare!
S Hillis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Long legged girls really capture my attention, Dave. I currently own six 32" barreled doubles, but Susie is the only 16 in the bunch.

Choked .034"R and .035"L, she is troublesome for doves...........and crows.

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/bowhoop/media/IMG_20140925_093952_545_zpsbdd1c5b3.jpg.html] [/URL]

SRH
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Those barrels must make it hard to stop or slow down your swing.

What kind of load did you use on the crows?
S Hillis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Old paper shell loads of 1 1/8 oz. of 6s, and a few 4s. I rarely use modern made stuff in her, but I have used the Polywad SpredRs for closer stuff, and they're very good out to about 25 yards out of this gun.

One thing that makes Susie more special to me is that she was shipped on my birthday, Oct. 13. When I saw her on the table in the tent that afternoon, I picked her up and shouldered her. She was a perfect fit for this old tall, lanky boy. Her owner commented that she "looked good on me". I looked at the reproduction production tag and saw the date she was shipped, my birthday. I mentioned that to the owner and he asked if I knew an omen when I saw one. Shocked The fix was in, but it took another half hour for me to realize it. I walked away and came back several times before it all sunk in that she wanted me badly. Embarassed

SRH