16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ithaca 37 Project
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

For years, my father had been telling me how much he enjoys the action and shooting of his old Ithaca. Well, it got the point where he finally convinced me to get one for myself...

I happened to find an Ithaca 37 for sale on GB that in decent working condition. After taking it out to the skeet range and finding out first hand how nice it was to point and shoot, I quickly realized it was going to become one of my new favorites. Since I have no intention of selling it, I took it upon myself to do some touch ups to the gun.

And before I hear that I killed the collector value, i would like to mention that I made the changes to the gun FOR ME. I wanted to clean up the wood finish because the grain was really nice, as well as replace the finish that was bubbling up in sections from age/wear. But regardless, I think the work came out great and I wanted to share it with everyone.

Below are pictures of the original condition I received it in - notice finish peel on the stock and uneven bluing wear on the receiver.

After a bunch of disassembly, metal, and wood prep, the gun was really starting to come together. Below are pictures of the progress. FYI, getting stain and soot out of the grooves on the corn cob stock is a real challenge! If you try to do it, use a soft wire wheel brush from a dremmel to get in there.

Lastly, some pictures of the final product!

Note: the stain is a blend of my own, but the finish on the stock and forearm is Chem-Pak's Gun Sav'R Hand rubbing oil. The bluing was a hot blue using mark lee's express blue #1.

I really am happy with the results -- the bluing is tough as nails. I found out when I accidentally dropped the receiver down my stairs after neutralizing it in solution. It bounced down the stairs and smacked hard tile. And it didn't have one visible scratch.

Even though its nearing the end of pheasant season by me, I can't wait to bring this beauty into the field and get over some birds with it soon! For now, clays will just have to do

Very Happy
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful project
Thank you for sharing
Mike

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

Sure looks better than the factory wood finish, doesn't it?

duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 am  Reply with quote

That is beautiful work! Nice to see a classic loved back to life.

Tip for corn cob groove cleaning, use a cord powdered with Rottenstone (Tripoli) to clean & polish them. A dozen strokes will clean most stocks down to the original finish. A few dozen more will find the wood without damage...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
1stgun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Very, very nice.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

Fun to shoot! Nice job on the restore.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Very nice job. You did no harm and a lot of good to the value. How many coats of blue? I'm guessing 8. I'm a big fan of 37's,prefer them over all others including SxS and O/U.
Akoss1923
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the support everyone! I had put down 8 coats exactly.

I used a little oxpho blue in between coats that weren't perfectly even, which really brought it all together.

Also, love the pro tip on the corn cob forearm! I'll be sure to try that out on my next Ithaca Very Happy
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I don't use my 37 much, so I was hesitant to try it on skeet, didn't figure I could pump it fast enough. Wrong. Very nice job on the redo. Enjoy!

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Just a FYI in case you didn't already know, your gun was made in mid 1966. Also if you decide to put a pad on it Galazan has reproductions of the Ithaca Sunburst at a good price.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't it something how fathers often tend to be right? Very Happy

You will get no grief from me about refinishing a 37. And I am not quite sure how many I own right now Embarassed Ohio Wirehair steered me to another one not long ago, plus I found another one been looking for and pick them both up tomorrow at my FFL. Both 16 ga. of course.

Hunted grouse with Savage16 this last fall with another friend and they carried Ithaca 37's in my honor they said LOL. Actually I was the one honored, to say the least.

You did a great job on the refinishing. On older ones that are beat up I strip them all the way down, steam out dents and work my way back up. To get the reddish tint of the older 37's I use Art's The Original Herter's Formula Stock Filler it is a perfect match.

On my grandfathers hunting coat from the 30's he was the one that introduced me to the 37 and gave me my first shotgun. If you didn't shoot an Ithaca in the Southern Tier of NY in the 60's and 70's you were immediately recognized as someone from some city and considered a foreigner.

You done good, real good. Enjoy your new great looking and shooting 37.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

AKoss1923,

Real nice Ithaca gun and even better stock work to make her look new again, congrats on a nice Ithaca 37! I like the old light Setter/Bird Engraving on those guns, very cool stuff for sure.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful!!

Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:21 am  Reply with quote

Coldiron, the wood on the 37 in your post is absolutely beautiful.
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Great job and it looks terrific. Satisfying to do your own work. It’s a 16 - RIGHT?

Good Hunting,
Mike