16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fell into a somewhat rare 37
mart
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

I had been looking for a nice older Ithaca 37 16 gauge and was watching a few on GB, one in particular. It was a nice Solid rib model but the seller wanted way more for shipping to Alaska than what it normally costs. The last day of the auction I was still debating whether to just bite the bullet and pay the shipping or let it go and keep looking.

Since it was my first day back from my two weeks on the North Slope, I had to hit all my favorite guns shops. I walked into my favorite and as always made a beeline for the used gun rack. Wow! There's an Ithaca 37. And if my eyes are not deceiving me I think it's a 16. Yup. It was a nice older, vent rib 16. I just didn't know how nice. The price was reasonable but always looking for a deal I asked if the owner (it was a consignment) would entertain offers. The shop owner took my offer and said he'd call me.

I continued on my rounds and about 45 minutes later the shop owner called and said the owner countered $25 higher than I offered. I told him I'd take it and hurried back to buy the Ithaca.

When I got home and started checking and asking some questions on the SW and ULJ forums I found out it was a 1938 37 Skeet. Serial number in the 8,000 range. It has a 26 inch improved cylinder barrel. The bluing is flawless and the bore is a mirror. There's been a minor repair to the wrist just behind the trigger guard but all in all a very nice gun. It seems to break skeet targets like it knows what it's doing. It should make a fun ptarmigan gun and it will travel to Eastern Washington this fall for my annual pilgrimage. Thanks for looking guys.

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

A '38 skeet?? I know someone here that's going to be jealous! Great score.

hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet piece.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
A '38 skeet?? I know someone here that's going to be jealous! Great score.

Ha! Already congratulated Mart over on UJ. Not that I am jealous or anything... Actually very happy for him and told him to take good care of "our" gun Very Happy
mart
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I'm simply a caretaker and will do my best to keep it nice for the next steward. It will get hunted though.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
I'm simply a caretaker and will do my best to keep it nice for the next steward. It will get hunted though.

I like that, all of it.

Picked up two more 37's (16 ga. of course) yesterday from my FFL who did the transfer for me. One is a prewar 1939 and the other a pre 55 26" mod measured at .011. They both will be used in rotation for ruff grouse this fall. Along with a couple of others. I don't buy them to fondle but to shoot.
mart
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats on the two 37's. They are a great gun.

I did shoot a round of skeet with a couple of weeks ago. It worked well and I had forgotten how lively and crisp they handle. I ordered a sunburst recoil pad to lengthen it a little. It's a touch short for me. I actually ordered two so I could do the same to my Dad's old 20 gauge 37. It's also too short.

I have been trying to find a good shipping deal on some of the Claybuster 7/8 ounce wads and it looks like it will be more cost effective to order a case of them and sell a few bags to offset the shipping. Being in Alaska is great but it comes with some challenges. Bulky, light stuff is more expensive to ship than dense, heavy, small stuff. I've not been able to find anyone here carrying the 7/8 ounce wads and darn few of the 1 ounce.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

It's always nice to discover this kind of surprise. Have lots of fun with the gun, and stock up on wads when you come to the lower 48 to hunt!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
Congrats on the two 37's. They are a great gun.

I did shoot a round of skeet with a couple of weeks ago. It worked well and I had forgotten how lively and crisp they handle. I ordered a sunburst recoil pad to lengthen it a little. It's a touch short for me. I actually ordered two so I could do the same to my Dad's old 20 gauge 37. It's also too short.

I have been trying to find a good shipping deal on some of the Claybuster 7/8 ounce wads and it looks like it will be more cost effective to order a case of them and sell a few bags to offset the shipping. Being in Alaska is great but it comes with some challenges. Bulky, light stuff is more expensive to ship than dense, heavy, small stuff. I've not been able to find anyone here carrying the 7/8 ounce wads and darn few of the 1 ounce.

All I shoot is 7/8 oz. in the 16 and even the 12. Well for clay birds anyhow. I use the DR16 wad, IMR Green (green dot), cheddite hulls and W209 primers except in the winter switch to the Federal primer when it gets cold. I buy Cheddite skived primed hulls by the thousand when they go on sale. At the Sweet 16 shoot last year picked up a bunch of once fired to add to the collection.

Long story but when Kevin at Downrange was first starting out I worked with him on cold weather testing his 12 ga. 7/8 oz. wads. Back then I was foolish enough to shoot in the 20's below and thought it was fun. Not so much now that I am 60. So went to Downrange wads when he came out with the DR16.

I agree with WyoChukar when you make it to CONUS pickup your supplies then, although getting them back could be spendy too. Hmm wonder if I could catch a MAC Space A flight to Alaska with a load of wads, powder, and hulls when the salmon are running. Good luck!
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 am  Reply with quote

I'm on the east coast and can honestly say I've never seen a Model 37 in 16 gauge for sale; gun shop, pawn shop, private, anywhere. Envious of you fellas that find them locally.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by fourtrax on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:18 am; edited 4 times in total

fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:14 am  Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with fondling though...........

kgb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Hmm wonder if I could catch a MAC Space A flight to Alaska with a load of wads, powder, and hulls when the salmon are running. Good luck!

No more MAC!

mart
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I met one of my shooting buddies at the Birchwood range this afternoon for a few rounds of skeet. He was shooting his old 20 gauge Wingmaster he got as a kid and I shot a couple rounds with the Ithaca 37S 16 gauge. Man, I like this gun. I shoot it well. I shot a 21 and 22 with it today. I used a slip on recoil pad to get the LOP out closer to what I need and seems to fit me well. It shoots a perfectly centered (left to right), 60/40 pattern at 25 yards. I have gotten to where I really like that front sight on it. I changed the safety out to a left handed safety and have ordered a sunburst recoil pad for it. Did I mention I really like this gun.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Yeeee Hawww !!
That makes me smile
Smile Smile Smile