16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Western Super X Mark 5
duckdup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

I found some 16Ga ammo in my stash that I forgot I owned. They had been stored in MTM cases so the boxes are gone. Does anyone know what the groves in the brass mean? Three groove near the rim and one near the plastic. 3*1/4 Dram, 1*1/8 Oz of 7*1/2.

Any ideas...?

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I think that they were originally used to grip the paper tube on the old shells but as the cases changed to plastic, they really had no purpose and most shell heads have none at all now. If there is some other mystic reason, I'd love to hear it.

duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Fred. I found a post here from 2006 with pictures of some Mark 5 loaded with #6 and the grooves were in the reverse order of mine, That is what made me wonder if there was a code or if they were a traditional carryover from the paper era.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

It's decorative. Look at some old Peters High Velocity hulls -- the paper high-brass ones, gthey had a nice diagonal pattern. Some old Winchesters had a sort of knurling. Might have been to grip the paper, but most of those grooves, etc are way above the area where the brass overlaps the basewad, and so could have had no effect. In fact, in old paper hulls, high brass was an indicator of a heavy load, and the internal base wads were lower to give capacity for the heavy load. The higher brass was originally to give the user the impression of greater protection from the larger powder charge burning through the paper hull. Visible distinction in the marketing of products priced at a premium is nothing new.

Yes, when Winchester introduced their plastic hulls, compression-formed as well as Rieffenhauser-type, they continued the same look in the brass. Western brand (Super-X and X-Pert) used a different spacing and pattern than the same hulls with Winchester headstamps (Super-Speeds and Rangers). Want some? I've got a ton of old compression-formed high brass Winchester and Western hulls, and a lot of them have the lines like the old papers -- all 12 gauge, unfortunately.
duckdup
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Three votes decorative, no objections. The motion carries.

Don't need high-brass CF hulls in 12, many in storage already. Thanks for asking.

Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

A fellow shooter and local parson gave me a couple hundred of these 16ga hulls when one of his parishioners passed - they are quite durable, I've been getting 7-9 reloads from them.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Roadkill, are you trimming the cases? Also, are you folding or rolling the crimps?