16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Why So Dirty
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01 am  Reply with quote

WW 572
I have been shooting this powder in 16 and 28 ga . It has some good qualities like it is not case sensitive, the loads are good and consistent. I know that double base powders have a tendancy to be some what dirtier than nitro cellulose alone but the 572 is sooty. anyone else find this to be true or am I getting a low pressure result.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Low pressure loads are typically dirtier. It is simply the price of doing business.

You can get cleaner burns but you need to go ove 9,500-10,000 PSI

As for 572 I have not used it.

While having one powder do everything is a great idea, it will always be a compromise.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 am  Reply with quote

Most ball powders such as 572, Longshot, Super Field, etc. are usually close to the same size (grain shape) when produced, the way the burn rate is controlled is by burn retardant chemicals some have more and some have less. Flake type powers like 800X and the Alliant Dot powders use a combination of flake size and burn retardant to control burn rate, which is also the way SR 7625 and SR 4756 controlled burn rate.
If the application your using 572 for doesn't give a complete burn then you'll get soot, the burn retardants are doing their job it's just that your loads don't completely burn up all the powder/retardants.
Maybe going to a faster burn rate powder will work, I use Unique with a lot of my lower pressure loads and it works very well.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:51 am  Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I added slight more pressure to the wad but didn't help. I found 20/ 28 shoots very clean and pressure seems mild.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:33 am  Reply with quote

I found a great load in the 28 using Vectan AO at 16 grains it burns clean as a whistle because it is pure Nitrocellulose. The 572 is better at 11,000 psi but not great.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/