16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  duck HUNTING today
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Took the 16 ga A5 with bismuth (6s and 4s) and headed over to duck club in MO river bottoms just west of Mills Mall (and new Cabelas) in St. Louis area. Got there about 1:30 and was in blind with 2 friends and champion lab by 2:15 pm. NOT a shot was fired from our blind - saw about 75 ducks.

Blind about 150 yards away killed 5 (mallards and 1 shoveler) and about 250 yards away 3 (2 mallards and 1 shoveler). All ducks I saw dropped could have been hit with 16 ga in my blind - just went elsewhere.

Dog work from other blinds was outstanding.

Weather about 53 degrees with light breeze and mostly blue sky (almost bluebird day).

Have been invited back (and will go if at all possible).

Dr. 16 Gauge
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Each day is special though the bag may be empty.

On my last trip I was in my blind with the decoys rigged by 5:00 AM, I was optomistic cause we pushed a huge flock of ducks out when we were setting up. But the conditions were all wrong. At first light I poppe dthe one bord that blasted past.....a drake hooded merganser, drat. It got up into the 70's here with no wind and a bright blue sky.

But I'd do it again just to see the sun rise and the dog work on that one retrieve.

Jeff
22-250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:46 am  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
Gentlemen:

Took the 16 ga A5 with bismuth (6s and 4s) and headed over to duck club in MO river bottoms just west of Mills Mall (and new Cabelas) in St. Louis area. Got there about 1:30 and was in blind with 2 friends and champion lab by 2:15 pm. NOT a shot was fired from our blind - saw about 75 ducks.

Blind about 150 yards away killed 5 (mallards and 1 shoveler) and about 250 yards away 3 (2 mallards and 1 shoveler). All ducks I saw dropped could have been hit with 16 ga in my blind - just went elsewhere.

Dog work from other blinds was outstanding.

Weather about 53 degrees with light breeze and mostly blue sky (almost bluebird day).

Have been invited back (and will go if at all possible).

Hey! that sounds Some what similar to my hunt last Thursday at Farmington Bay WMA. It was stormy most of the day, rain mixed with snow blowing off and on and not a shot to to be had where I was. There were two other hunters there about 300 and 500 yards from me and they didn't get squat either. All the action was at least a 1000 yards north & south from us. They seemed to do well, but not us. I talked to the other hunters on the way out and they couldn't belive it either. One said " seems like we must have stunk up the place today"Laughing
I had been at the same spot three days before and shot 4 Mallard drakes, 1 Mallard hen, 1 hen Shovler and a Scaup with a 16 ga mod 12 with 1oz #5 bismuth reloads. All were practally DOA except the Shovler. Great day that day.
As I'm sitting here writing this it's raining/snowing and blowing outside and I'm wishing I was out there today. Stupid doctors appointment this morning ruins everything. Evil or Very Mad
mdoerner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:04 am  Reply with quote

What choke does the Model 12 have? Modified? Full?

Mike Doerner
22-250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:19 am  Reply with quote

mdoerner wrote:
What choke does the Model 12 have? Modified? Full?

Mike Doerner

Full choke 28" bbl. with Simmons rib Most of the ducks were taken 35-45 yds over decoys. The exceptions were the Scaup & Shovler those were passing shots. The Scaup was coming in and when I dropped him and he landed about 2 feet from my feet. I would have liked to had a video of myself with my body contortions I must have had to try to get out of the way. Laughing
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Any day spent hunting/shooting in any condition and regardless of the results beats being at work Wink Twisted Evil
22-250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Any day spent hunting/shooting in any condition and regardless of the results beats being at work Wink Twisted Evil

I'll second that one!!! Wink Even though I'm very semi-retired. (that's if I want to work, I can and that's not going to happen during the hunting season). I guess I'm trying to catch up on all the times over the last 30 years I missed out on hunts because of a steady job, raising kids and all the other things raising a family brings on. My children are all gone now and it's my turn to play. Laughing
I had a good time out there the other day even though no birds or even shots at them, met a couple of good people, enjoyed the day, got away from my wife (I'm glad she doesn't like computers so I can say that)Twisted Evil Actually she is pretty good about it, she keeps her honey-do's to a minimum this time of the year. Looks like I'm going to try again in the morning as there is another big storm on it's way. God I love this time of year!!!