16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  weighed some shotguns today
elsinore401
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Got my bicycle parts scale out today to weigh my shotguns. All started when I bought 2 Remington model 11s. Forgot how heavy the humpies are. Here are the results
Sandusky Ithaca 16ga 26" vent rib......6.97lb
Remington model 11 16ga 28" solid rib ....7.98lb
Remington model 11 20ga 26" plain barrel ....7.47lb
Ithaca/skb 600 20ga 25" barrels.....6.13lb
Benelli montefeltro 12ga 28" vent rib....6.90lb
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Reviewing the guns that I have access to use span the range of 5 lb 13 oz to 8 lb 9 oz. Guess which one gets carried when chasing Chukars.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 am  Reply with quote

American Meet,

Amazing how when hunting Grouse, Ptarms and wild Chukar everybody considers the gun weight they are carrying.

Very few men when walking long distances thru the mountains want to lug a heavy 7 lb gun of any kind.

When you get up where the White Tail Ptarms live I have seen very few of the heavier double guns, and no heavy semi's at all.

Many Grouse Hunters here in our Pa mountains, have light double guns. It does not matter whether the gun is a 16 or 28, when you are 70 years, old the gun better be light and work absolutely perfectly. Nobody wants to carry a heavy double gun for miles, and then have the gun malfunction when God provides a chance at a true Grouse Double, that is for sure.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 am  Reply with quote

I'm currently shooting my gun club's trap league and just for grins weighed my BT-99 12 ga trap gun. It has a Precision Fit butt stock and 5 ounces of lead inletted into the forend for balance. It weighs 9 pounds 9 5/8 ounces. Anyone shooting a heavier single barrel gun? With my preference for POW stocks and semi-beavertail forends, I'll never have the lightest gun, maybe I can take the record for the heaviest.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:21 am  Reply with quote

My new Dickinson 28ga with 24" barrels is 5 lbs even. it will shoot a 1oz load but 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 is a very nice grouse load at 20 yds or less

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Both of my 16’s with 28” barrels and close to 16” stocks weigh 6.19 and 6.25 lbs. My 12’s are all 6.75 lbs or less and I never carry them. I have a few 20’s and all but one are 6 lbs and I also never use them anymore, probably because they don’t fit as well as the 16’s.

I also own an old Ruger Red Label and it is a little over 7 lbs. I used it for grouse hunting for 1/2 of one season back around 1980 and I haven’t used it since. And back then I was a relatively young man and I still thought it was a club. Nicely made but too heavy in the grouse woods.

By the time I got the 16’s I knew my dimensions and they both fit my like a glove. So the others simply rest waiting for the grandkids to grow up.

I picked up one of my 16’s from the gunsmith and he had a Wm. Cashmore SxS .470 he was doing some work on. A lovely gun and it came in around 15 lbs or so. No wonder they had gun bearers back in the day because that gun would wear you down over a days walk.

Good Hunting,
Mike
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

model 12-6lb.,11oz.
utica fox sterlingworth - 6lb.,10 oz.
phila. sterlingworth ejector - 6lb., 5oz.
phila. sterlingworth - 6lb. 2 oz.
lefever nitro - 6 lb.
parker gh #2 frame 8lb.
rbl 16 -6 lb.,14 oz.
all 16 gauge guns

Rick O
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

I weighed a few this afternoon. All are original unaltered examples:

16ga Model 21 28" 6.95 lbs

Model 12 16ga 28" 1962 mfg 7 even

Model 12 28ga 26" Solid Rib 1954 mfg 7 even

16 ga CSMC M21 30" 3" 7.95 lbs

M21 12ga 30" TRAP 7.95 lbs .

1951 16 ga. 870 28".....6.5 lbs

Model 12 3" DUCK 1958 mfg 8.75 lbs

I didn't dig out the 10 ga 30" BPS, and look how light those early 870's were compared to the Winchester pumps!
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rick O wrote:

I didn't dig out the 10 ga 30" BPS, and look how light those early 870's were compared to the Winchester pumps!

Rick,

The Model 12s must have put on weight in the later production guns. The two 16ga Model 12s I've had (down to one now) were both 1949 guns and both weighed exactly 6lb 10oz. No rib on either gun.

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

UC,

Yep you guys must have later models for sure. The reason the girls like our old model 12 - 16 Gauge to Grouse hunt with, is because our 16 weighs about 5.9 Lbs. A real nice light Grouse gun to carry thru the mountains.

When I 1st saw Fred's post with a 6 lb 11 oz model 12, I thought he made a mistake, in what gun he was looking at.

Pine Creek/Dave

kgb
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 am  Reply with quote

This shows a few of the guns Don Amos measured with his MOI machine a few years back, it is sorted by MOI low-to-high. It shows a variety of gun weights will bunch within a small range of MOI and handle quite similarly for an individual shooter for whom the stock dimensions are otherwise suitable.

Weight is just one measurement, and pretty easy to determine, but only tells part of a story.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 am  Reply with quote

kgb,

I agree weight is only one part of the story, different guns for different usages.

The light double gun used while walking the mountains is not always the best line shooting (clays gun) you own. In fact the gun I most like to shoot clays with, is my 28/20 Combo-Gun using the 28 barrels on it's 20 Frame.

Further if the gun does not fit correctly, most times it gets left at home. A gun with any kind mechanical problem usually gets the same treatment

Pine Creek/Dave

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am  Reply with quote

kgb- With a magnifying glass I can just make-out most of the letters and numbers. But I don't know what some of the abbreviations are. Is there a reference I could check for the various letter categories?
Rick O
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Rick O wrote:

Rick,

The Model 12s must have put on weight in the later production guns. The two 16ga Model 12s I've had (down to one now) were both 1949 guns and both weighed exactly 6lb 10oz. No rib on either gun.

Marc

Must be the wood. The sixteen gauge Model 12 I weighed has the straightest grain and maybe is denser? and the beavertail forend probably is heavier than the flat botoms or corncob...I didn't compare any others.

That '28 though just "feels" heavy. The wrist feels thick and there's much more metal in the barrel,as well as the solid rib. I've never really been too fond of it for shooting.
I have never really paid too much attention to weight, but even when quail chasing out here, we seldom traipse for hours cross country.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
kgb- With a magnifying glass I can just make-out most of the letters and numbers. But I don't know what some of the abbreviations are. Is there a reference I could check for the various letter categories?

Can't help you there, but Don may have written it all out on doublegunshop or elsewhere. I believe CG is center of gravity; we marked the balance point of each gun and they were secured with those marks at the center of the machine. We also marked the points where each hand held the stock/bbls. If you think of it, a gun has a balance point and where you place your hands in relation to that point will affect how it handles for you. The triggers limit your rear hand location, but shortening your reach with your leading hand would speed up a gun's feel and extending it would slow it down.

All of these measurements of the gun can give you a point of reference and one that happens to fit you well would indicate that others with similar numbers might fit similarly. It beats merely having a range of weights, say 6 to 6.25lbs, that you prefer, but takes a lot more than a scale to discern. It will still always come down to you handling a particular gun over time and locations enough to know if it's one for you.