16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga. 2 1/2" recipes
VC16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like to start shooting again with my old 16ga but it is a 65mm chambered gun, a bit shorter than 2 1/2". I managed to find a few hundreds Sellier & Bellot 1 1/8oz # US 7.5 67.5 mm, but they kick like hell in this light gun. I was told as well by the manufacturer of this gun that it would be OK to hunt with these shells but not to go and shoot hundreds of rounds on clay pigeons.
I managed to find and bought a bag of Win WAA16, a bag of Rem SP16 and I can get a regular supply of BP SG16. I have a couple of hundreds 2 3/4" Win AA hulls that I cut to 65mm. I would like to find some recipes for soft 7/8oz to 1oz lead loads in 2 1/2".
I can find a few recipes for the 2 3/4" shells but only for Fiocchi hulls in 2 1/2".
Has anyone found a source of recipes for the Win AA ?
Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks.
old16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:54 am  Reply with quote

VC16 wrote:
Hi all,
I would like to start shooting again with my old 16ga but it is a 65mm chambered gun, a bit shorter than 2 1/2". I managed to find a few hundreds Sellier & Bellot 1 1/8oz # US 7.5 67.5 mm, but they kick like hell in this light gun. I was told as well by the manufacturer of this gun that it would be OK to hunt with these shells but not to go and shoot hundreds of rounds on clay pigeons.
I managed to find and bought a bag of Win WAA16, a bag of Rem SP16 and I can get a regular supply of BP SG16. I have a couple of hundreds 2 3/4" Win AA hulls that I cut to 65mm. I would like to find some recipes for soft 7/8oz to 1oz lead loads in 2 1/2".
I can find a few recipes for the 2 3/4" shells but only for Fiocchi hulls in 2 1/2".
Has anyone found a source of recipes for the Win AA ?
Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks.

This is one of my favorite loads I use for skeet for either the 2-3/4 or 2-1/2' shell.

WAA16 hull or Fiocchi or the new Superx Bame Load
cheddite 209
19.8 gr. 800x -----Mec 28 bushing according to my scales
AA16 wad for the WAA16 hull
for Fiocchi and Super-x game load I add a 14'' filler wad in the botton of the WAA16 or the R16.
1oz shot.
I use the same load in the 2-1/2in shells but eliminate the 1/4'' filler wad in the bottom of the wad for the WAA16 or the R16. If you do this you will need to cut off the peddals shorter on the two wads or use the BPsg16 without and filler in the bottom.
Some of this may sound like a litter bother but I enjoy loading so its no problem. However this load works great for both the only thing you need to do is if you have a single stage press (mec) is slip on the adapter and eliminate the 1/4'' filler wad for the 2-1/2'' load.

VC16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Old16.
Do you have any ideas as to the pressure that these recipes will generate ?
I have got to be very careful as some European shotguns are made for lower pressure shells.
VC16
old16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

VC16 wrote:
Thanks Old16.
Do you have any ideas as to the pressure that these recipes will generate ?
I have got to be very careful as some European shotguns are made for lower pressure shells.
VC16

VC16 the pressure in my book says 10,100. If you think that is to much then I would suggest trying 15.5gr of International clays. Makes a very nice light clean load and recoil is low.
Some where around here I have some notes on this because I used to use it a lot. I believe you can use the same hull, wad, and 7/8 or 1oz.

David
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:09 am  Reply with quote

VC16, If you join the 16 ga. Reloaders, you will get quite a few 2 1/2" loads that are well below 8,000 psi. Some are roll crimped, and some are 6 crimp. I never roll crimped before, but I bought the tool and now I would rather roll crimp than 6 crimp. Of the 9 loads I have using Cheddite shells, Longshot powder and Unique powder, CCI 209, Win. 209 Cheddite 209 (same as Win 209)primers, SG 16 wads and in some 3-.040 cards over shot, the pressures are between 4333-7860 psi, with velocities from 1094-1204, also using 7/8 oz- 1oz loads
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:45 pm  Reply with quote

David
Thanks for your post. I have been following this thread with interest as I'm having no success in finding suitable 2 1/2 inch factory loads so will be looking to join the 16ga Reloaders group. However, can you tell me what the availability of components is like? I have a number of Eley and Gamebore 2 1/2 inch plastic hulls and looking for spreader loads. Are these hulls suitable and how easy is the rest to buy?

Many thanks

Ross
David
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Kiwishooter, I bought Cheddite hulls already primed with Cheddite 209 primers, SG 16 wads, and on the roll crimp used .030 overshot cards that I bought from Graf & Sons. www.grafs.com Ballistics Products has components also. I don't know what type of powder you have there, but I used Unique and Longshot.
I don't do a lot of shooting in the 16 ga, will use it mostly for hunting.
I thought I heard somebody say that Camebore is a Cheddite hull.
The Cheddite primer 209 is the same as using the Winchester 209 primer.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:35 am  Reply with quote

65 mm is not shorter than 2 1/2", it is longer. The english equivalent is 2 9/16".

Jeff
VC16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for taking so long to come back to you all, but I could not remember my PW. Age ????
I have a friend who has the same make gun in 12ga, and although it is a 2 3/4 chamber, the maximum pressure allowed is 9000Psi's. I have to be very carefull about pressure, so as David suggested, I will most likely join the 16ga Reloaders group.
Thanks again.
VC16