16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  To English stock or not?
buckmark
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Im a big fan of Citori’s with an English stock. Have a 20g Upland Special that is a beautiful little gun. Also have a White Lightning 16ga still unfired, and im really getting tempted to have an English stock coversion done it. Im in Canada so chances of finding a factory 16g Superlight or Superlight Feather are almost nil, so having the stock altered is next best thing. Anyone have an English stocked 16g Citori they can post some pics of, maybe try to sway my decision?

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

I previously had a Superlight that I refinished the stock and photographed various stages of it. If I can find the photos, I'll see if I can post some.
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Suggest you contact Arts Gun Shop in Missouri (636 944 3630) Family business.
Often has stocks that are for sale, he may be able to meet your needs. In my opinion they are good people
Linn
67galaxie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

I would definitely hold one first. The citori 16's I have held are no where near 20 gauge weight
TripleH
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

I can try and get some posted for you Sunday morning.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 am  Reply with quote

This might help push that sway over the edge...."to English stock or not" IMO, by all means. I have a 16ga Citori Upland that I truly enjoy and the only thing I'd change is ST to DT's but there is a Rizzini Pathos somewhere that is going to satisfy that minor detail.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54366_600x400/] [/URL]

Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Call Midwest Gunworks. They have some grade one stocks on hand in thec300 dollar range.

Regards, Gordon

TripleH
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Hope pic works and is helpful.
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I have several O/U guns with straight grips. Love them. Very fast for upland hunting, but I shoot them on targets as well. The best would be to get a new long tang trigger guard for it - very suave. Not all pistol grip guns can be turned into straight stocks and have them look good. Hold a straight edge along the bottom of the stock and see if the line continues up into the grip in front of the edge of the pistol grip.
buckmark,
Do you have a belt sander? This conversion should only take 2 or 3 minutes.
Regards,
Jeff
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:15 am  Reply with quote

I absolutely love the look of a straight-grip stock on a slender wand of a gun, and feel it is an essential pair with double triggers for the freedom it gives for trigger-switching. It's not that trigger-switching requires a straight grip stock, but the double triggered gun does need to have at least a more relaxed grip radius, e.g. the true prince of wales grip. There is at least one situation in a game gun in which a pistol grip of just about any radius might be more desirable: When you carry your weapon at the ready, muzzle high, one-handed, for long times walking in game cover. The pistol grip can aid comfort and control in those situations requiring a quick mount, while a straight grip can be tiring. It all depends on how you use your hands.

I have a very early Browning Superposed I believe is a Superlight, with the famous double single triggers, and though it has the typical Browning loose radius bag grip, I have considered straight-gripping it. It's great to carry as it is, though, and I have no trouble positioning myself for quick trigger switching. I may leave it alone. My Fox Sterlingworth, on the other hand has a grip radius that is way too confining for practical DT use. I saw a similar Sterly at the Sweet 16 that had been re-stocked with an open PG. I forget the name of the fellow who had it, but it felt good and looked great. It's often hard to straight-grip a Fox without having to raise the tangs, and that becomes a slippery and expensive slope for a relatively work-a-day gun (all-be-it a generally handsomely shaped one), so I'm not sure if I will do that, having seen and held the nice one mentioned above.

Besides various DT SxS's, I've got a couple of Beretta 686's that are straight-gripped, one with an SST, and one that has double triggers (it's also a 24 gauge!). The Beretta 680 series and it's ancestors, as well as the sidelock SO's and the boxlock A series, having height-wise-compact frames due to locking methods other than underbolts, are particularly amenable to straight grips. Also, because most Berettas have throughbolt stock attachment and short tangs, they are readily adaptable to straight grip stocks.

I have a few straight-gripped repeaters, too -- at the moment, all Win Model 12's plus one Rem Model 10 Trap, and one old, old Browning A5 16 gauge -- more to come, I'm sure.

If you like a classic look and feel, you can't beat a straight grip.

Cheers!
Tony
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

I was unable to find the work-in-progress of the refinishing of the Superlight stocks but I did find some of the completed project, which I will try to post.

Thanks Mike!!

Last edited by AmericanMeet on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Nice picture Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/plQVQWLMj] [/URL]

Do it!
buckmark
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, posted guns look great!! Still not 100% sure yet though, as a little bit of me thinks Browning at some point will make another run of the Superlights anyways.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 am  Reply with quote

I think you're wise in holding off (my above post notwithstanding).

Citori 16's have a very nice relaxed round-knob stock, so you're not gaining that much with the conversion. Now if you're talking the new A5 SW16 I say chop-chop!