16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question on a MEC Sizemaster
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

I keep adjusting my collet on my sizemaster trying to get the entire case head resized. However, no matter what I do there is about 1/8 of an inch just above the rim that it doesn't size. Is this normal? My old Sweet 16 doesn't like this.

Matt
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

What hull are you using?----even on the "high brass" hulls you may have a little brass showing--that shouldn't cause problems chambering/could be be a little more specific on load and gun problem???? Take your calipers and measure a factory and go from there.I have the specs around here somewhere.I can't wonder if the mouth of the hull isn't mushroomed out---
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried once fired Remington, Winchester (Cheddite) and Fiocchi hulls. The Remington and Fiocchi are high base while the Win. is low base. It looks like the "fingers" of the collet that come together to resize the brass (steel) do not go all the way to the bottom of the case head.

It's not a problem in my doubles but in the Browning Auto5 it is very hard to pull back the bolt to eject the empty hull. (I resized the hull and loaded the empty hull in the Browning).

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:50 am  Reply with quote

That sounds like an excess headspace problem. I'd have the gun looked at. Could be the shell heads are becoming stretched and enlongated just ahead of the rim. This will overstretch the web just ahead of the extraction rim. This web can be verytough to resize back to spec.

This problem is probably also being exacerbated by the steel used in most new 16 ga. shell heads. Brass is both easier to resize and retracts more form the initial expansion upon firing. Steel doesn't.

Many older resizing systems will not handle steel rims well. MEC addressed this problem by redesinging their collets and also by placing an external adjustment collar on their latest resizing systems. the old 766 style Grabber collet resizing systems sometimes don't have enough adjustment to adequately resize steel rims for any gun to accept them. I have one 12 ga. unit that will, and one that won't. Its a bit of a crap shoot. However, my new 16 ga. grabber sizes the steel right back to spec if its adjusted to.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:44 am  Reply with quote

The entire brass head should disappear into the collet for resizing-if it doesn't, review your directions. The shell is not dropping in far enough to be properly resized.