16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How's the summer shooting going?
gunut
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:03 am  Reply with quote

don't shoot at all from the end of December until early September.....them maybe a round or two of trap to get the feel again B4 hunting season.........

67galaxie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

It's so hot and humid in south Ga. I may go early one morning with a clay machine and pick some chanterelles
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'm currently shooting a trap league once a week, go down to Miami, OK and practice skeet and trap, and take my thrower to the conservation range and shoot wobble trap with my SXS's. In three weeks we'll begin skeet league. I'll shoot the dove season opener on 1 Sep, and get my buddy who raises quail to put out a few birds for my dogs before heading out to Montana and Idaho for some wild bird hunting a little later in Sep.

Researcher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

A month lay off while I drove my wife, my dog and my old 2005 Subaru Outback to Alaska and spent a bit of time in Kodiak before flying home didn't do my skeet shooting any good. I've shot six rounds of skeet since my return, when I've taken a break from yard and house work, four with my 20-gauge standard weight Superposed and two with my 12-gauge Model 21 with the best score being a 23!! Perhaps I should break out a 16-gauge for tomorrow.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

A buddy and I are headed to a nice sporting range about an hour away in the morning, and hopefully the skeet range Thursday night.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Black Belt and I got in a half round of sporting clays this morning. It was a little wet with 90% humidity. We knocked off early and checked out a couple gun shops. BB shot his SW16 and I shot one of my 12 gauge O/U’s that just returned from having some stock tweaks.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not a big clays shooter but I usually enjoy a few rounds of casual skeet or SC over the summer. I've gone twice this spring and each time the SC courses were so crowded I just did informal skeet which I still enjoy.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

I’m shooting a few targets, not nearly as many as I would like. I shot 100 targets in one day last week. First time I could do that in over 1.5 years. I’ve only shot a little 16 gauge so far. A bit with my Flues and some more with my 525 Sporter. That Browning is like a magic wand! My shoulders are okay, but will never be the same. I make up for it with pistol shooting which when I do it with both hands doesn’t bother my shoulders. Here’s my latest toy, a 9mm Kimber KHX.
The top of the rear of the slide is removable and can be replaced with a plate that accepts a red dot sight. My Vortex plate shows up tomorrow and then I can really shoot it!

The rear sight is fixed and a bit off for me, but good enough for Government work.
Jeff
gjw
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 am  Reply with quote

Hey all, my kids and I just shoot pasture clays, no competition games, just out having fun. We shoot 2, sometimes 3 times a week. I used to go to a club, but got tired of some of the club "experts" telling me what I was doing wrong and how to improve my score (funny thing is, some of these guys don't even shoot, just sit around and watch!, oh well!). Anyway, we just go out and have fun. Here's a couple pics of my son Jim and daughter Teresa shooting

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53920_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53918_600x400/] [/URL]

Have fun this summer folks!

Best,

Greg

John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:47 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
just been getting leagues in here - 1 summer trap , 1 summer skeet and a 410 . 410's about over ... had to give up my reg wed/fri gig for 8 weeks as the youth trap league too over . 52 kids split between weds and thurs , then the whole shebang on sun . kept us/me REAL busy . was great to see the kids learn the deal and most of them shot the state tourney . many in the 70's and a few ringers did as good as 99's !! now I need practice !

I too am coaching a high school clay target team. It is our first season. It has kept me very busy. I spend 3 days a week at the range.

This past weekend, we competed at the Michigan State Tournament. Some of these kids have developed impressive shooting skills. There is no way that I can compete with some of them and that is great. I have had an absolute ball being a part of this.

The National Tournament is July 12 - 15 at the Michigan State Trap Grounds in Mason, MI. I will be there with our team.

canvasback
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Got to a little SxS shoot about an hour away in early June. Shot a couple rounds with a Purdey 12 gauge. I know that's heresy here but it did only weigh 6 pounds 2 ounces. First time I have shot a Purdey so I had to! Very Happy

My local range (only one within an hour drive) is only open once a week for skeet. Tuesdays at 1:00. Rather annoying. (BTW, Trap is only available Sundays at 12:00) I keep trying to get there but other things have a remarkable ability of grabbing my attention Tuesdays at noon and I miss the round.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Monday is fishing or if the wind is too high for the boat, rifle/pistol shooting
Tuesday morning is skeet/crazy - 100 cartridges then Burger King at 12:30 for lunch
Wednesday is indoor pistol 9 to 11 then Schlotzsky's for lunch
Thursday afternoon is skeet/crazy - 100 cartridges
Friday and Sat is fishing or shooting
Sunday is rest.

I like guns with bumps Smile

Once 1 Sept comes, all bets are off till the doves leave the area Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Monday is fishing or if the wind is too high for the boat, rifle/pistol shooting
Tuesday morning is skeet/crazy - 100 cartridges then Burger King at 12:30 for lunch
Wednesday is indoor pistol 9 to 11 then Schlotzsky's for lunch
Thursday afternoon is skeet/crazy - 100 cartridges
Friday and Sat is fishing or shooting
Sunday is rest.

I like guns with bumps Smile

Once 1 Sept comes, all bets are off till the doves leave the area Smile

Nice Bumps

Good Hunting,
Mike
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 am  Reply with quote

I usually leave my home in Vermont on weekends travel to my place in NY and shoot couple rounds sporting clays on Saturday at a club there then skeet at another club on Sunday. Only fly fished couple times so far this year. I'm on vacation first week of July hope to drag the traps out and shoot with some of the farmers where I duck hunt in the fall if they are not too busy.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

P.S.
Today was rifle, pistol and sporting clays at the Boy Scout Camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7v4WX41pFc&feature=youtu.be