16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How's the summer shooting going?
67galaxie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Gjw please tell your kids to slow down on the growing up stuff. We feel old
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:35 pm  Reply with quote

67 galaxie,

Man do I agree with that.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnbcmRAmj] [/URL]

Black Belt and I hit the skeet range tonight. It was oldies night.

Left to right.

16 ga. Parker VH
16 ga. Fox Sterlingworth
12 ga. LC Smith Long Range
16 ga. LC Smith FW

Last edited by double vision on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,
Shot a little skeet the other day with some youngsters, and used your old 200E Merkel. They were fascinated! Most had never seen an o/u with two triggers!
That gun gets a lot of attention wherever I take it.
A friend at our club showed up with a Remington 32 with two triggers so we had a couple to play with.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Bill, that’s good to hear! That is one sweet little Merkel.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

It is, indeed! I'm loving it.
It did break a hammer spring but that's the price of doing business with leaf springs. My gunsmith friend found two new springs that were close to the Merkel ones, fit the new ones and sent me the other old intact one back as a spare. I thought it was quite a fair deal at $150.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:45 am  Reply with quote

On my very first 200E the toplever (leaf) spring broke. Had it replaced and good to go for another 60 years.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I finally caught a day when the rain wasn't falling and the blow torch temps had subsided (although it was still pretty windy) and made it to the trap range. Let's just say I beat 20 every round. To be honest this pic was not from that day but from a while back; I call it the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Depends if you're a Fox or a Parker guy which is which: my Parker single barrel trap, or my Fox A Grade 16ga. But I suppose we can all agree on the ugly: my Stevens 5100 .410 double (which I just love, thank you very much Very Happy )…

Nice array there, Dave!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Phil, they look great! I'd rather twist a pencil into my eyeball than only shoot modern guns.

The two LC Smith's belong to Black Belt (Jason). I briefly owned his Featherweight 16, but he wanted it back and nice guy that I am he got it back. I didn't even jack the price up. (should have!)

The LC Smith Long Range was his grandfather's. Quite the beast!
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Might fine looking guns in those pic. I. Im basicly a trap shooter. Love the games. I only shoot 16's .My shooting buddy passed away 2 yrs ago . Shot together for 30 years. Made much of our own shot . Had lot a laughs. It's was kinda hard going to all the different club's we used to go to. When you get their guys ask where's your buddy. When you have to tell them he won't be showing up anymore you can see many of them went thru the same thing. That's wht helped me to keep going. But I hit the road 2 to to 4 times a week going to some club in a hundred mile radius. Most of the tell me to leave that 16 at home. Not allowed on this range. All jokingly. I can usually break even on money at games. Some time take little extra home. Sometimes leave little xtra at the club. Mainly I enjoy meeting new people to talk gun stories with. Whether hunting or clays. I'll be 71 this summer and thank god for my health and the time to do what I love. My wife never says a thing about my shooting away. Don't think my dog appreciates it though. Couple guy trying to get me back into some skeet. I may load up some 28's and warm the Browning up. Anyway I stay pretty stay active active shooting thru the summer. I'm not much of a cold weather guy anymore. Maybe couple excursions bunny hunting.
Hope all you 16's have a good and fun summer shooting and make the sport great for everyone again.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Bill, thanks for sharing. Sorry about losing your buddy. You're doing exactly what your buddy would want you to be doing. I'm only about a dozen years behind you and I hope I'm going strong like you at 71. Good shooting!
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Been living out of a suitcase since Memorial Day weekend, so not much shooting. What shooting I did get in was with an Army buddy at his home club. He lives conveniently close to where I'm working.
Anyway, we're out there shooting some of his milsurp pistols on Memorial Day - a couple 1911s, a P38 and a Luger. Both teams, so to speak. Down the other end of the firing line is a dad and son shooting pistols. We caught the kid sneaking a look over at our hardware.
"Hey, kid: you ever seen a Luger?"
"No"
"Well, come on over and take a look."
[Kid's eyes get saucer-sized as he comes over, looks with his eyes and then, after asking, with his hands.]
"You ever shoot a Luger, kid?"
"no"
"Well, load a mag and have at it."

Made that kid's month.

We may get out again on Independence Day, if the parts mesh.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Good going! You never know what that seed you planted will grow.