16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen (Update)
hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger and picking up a new Sweet Sixteen. Should be a great, lightweight, long haul hunter. Still love the SxS's but feeling the itch. Anyone here shooting one and what are the likes and dislikes?

Last edited by hayseed on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:14 am  Reply with quote

I've had my A-5 about 18 months and I shoot it often. Probably put 10 boxes through it in the last two weeks testing reloads.

Mine functions perfectly with the right ammunition, shoots where I look and has a very nice trigger. It actually weighs the 5.75 lbs as advertised and that comes in handy when chasing pheasants on 70 year old legs.

I don't have any dislikes but if I could change anything to match my personal taste, I'd probably put a raised rib on the gun rather than the flat rib. That's just me. My skeet average is about 95 with that gun so the flat rib isn't hurting anything.

If I had it to do over, I'd still buy it.

Bill
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

There's one on here for sale.
David Spear
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

I bought one because of the light weight, the adjustable shims even for a lefty and the ease of flipping the safety for a lefty. I like the shotgun a lot, I haven’t had any issues, with that being said it’s a POS compared to the Auto 5’s which happens to be my favorite. I’m almost afraid to lean it up against a tree for fear of it falling over and breaking.
Troop10
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

I love mine! I shot a double on quail two years ago and I have never looked back. Zero malfunctions with mine and it shoots great. I also shoot a Citori 16 but this one gets the cheese. For me, it’s the perfect 16. From the grouse woods to the prairie’s, it does the trick. Trulock now sells extended tubes for it so you can cover all bases.
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.. I've heard lot of good things and the weight is very attractive.

David, why do you say it feels so fragile? Is it because of the light weight?
David Spear
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:27 am  Reply with quote

To me there’s not a better built semi-auto than the Browning Auto 5. Every other semi-auto just feels cheap in comparison. I’m happy I bought the A5, it shoots nice and no issues. I have 2 1/2 cases through it so far. I’ve only cleaned it once when I first took it out of the box. I plan on cleaning it within the week. It weighs 6 lbs. on the nose, which is fantastic.

Thanks Dave
David Spear
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:45 am  Reply with quote

To me there’s not a better built semi-auto than the Browning Auto 5. Every other semi-auto just feels cheap in comparison. I’m happy I bought the A5, it shoots nice and no issues. I have 2 1/2 cases through it so far. I’ve only cleaned it once when I first took it out of the box. I plan on cleaning it within the week. It weighs 6 lbs. on the nose, which is fantastic.

Thanks Dave
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:55 am  Reply with quote

You can say that again! Wink
David Spear
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Twice is enough
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Agreed
AteUp
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

David,
If you’re saying an original Auto 5 in 16 weighs 6# on the the nose, then I bet everyone watching their figure would love your scale! If you’re talking about the new A5 then let me pre apologize.
David Spear
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Apology accepted
hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Update:

I purchased a 26 inch model. On sale and $100 Browning rebate closed the deal. $1199 final price. Weighed on digital scale, 5 lbs 13 oz, unloaded.

Yesterday I shot it for the first time. Really light and although I’m not a stickler for weight forward like a lot of shooters, wasn’t sure what to expect. Felt like a perfect fit tight out of the box so no shims or spacers used. First box of shells were Herters 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2s at 1280 fps. Figured to break it in I’d shoot a more potent load and also get a feel for recoil.

I shot this as well as my other regular shotguns. Average was same. Smooth with no malfunctions. Feels like a natural pointer. (Even hot a few club members commenting on how good it felt to shoulder.) Recoil surprised me with this heavier than target load. In a good way. I felt it was very mild and manageable, even by the end. Weight also not a factor. Pointed and shot very smoothly.

I really think I’m going to like this as a hunting shotgun.
PablosDryFliesAndBirdshot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I bought the A5 Sweet 16 with a 28 inch barrel a few weeks ago. I have fired federal 1 oz loads, RGL, and Remington 1/ 1/8 XTR loads with zero malfunctions. It is surprisingly lightweight and very pointable. Great overall shotgun, would highly recommend it to anyone.