16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  DS chokes
grouser47
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Read somewhere that Browning DS chokes throw a more open pattern than conventional ones. for example, the IC IS MORE LIKE Skeet? MY A5 sweet Sixteen IC seems to crush clays further out or more efficiently than my other conventional IC's

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

The DS --double seal-choke is on the OUTSIDE and shouldn't have any affect on the INTERNAL dimensions---However each choke is a rule onto itself---The ONLY true way is to shoot each choke---as you have done and watch the results.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

The DS --double seal-choke is on the OUTSIDE and shouldn't have any affect on the INTERNAL dimensions---However each choke is a rule onto itself---The ONLY true way is to shoot each choke---as you have done and watch the results.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I read that too, it was Randy Wakeman https://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A5_sweet_sixteen.html that said the IC measures .006 and Mod measured .011. Which would be fine by me as a grouse hunter about the only thing better would be .004 and .012 I don't need anything more than that for grouse. Or most sporting clays courses.

My "new" Sweet 16 is sitting at the FFL holders shop, went to pick it up Tuesday and got my typical NICS - needs further review. So can't get it until July 10th.

Your not the first person to say that they actually shoot tighter than they measure. Trulock has a 20% site wide sale right now and was tempted to get a couple but going to wait. Good chance Briley will end up with the barrel and take it down to 24" (mine is a 28") and have thinwalls installed so it could be a waste of money for me to get the trulocks. Not sure yet, and hard to tell when I don't have it in my hands to shoot.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

grouser47 wrote:
Read somewhere that Browning DS chokes throw a more open pattern than conventional ones. for example, the IC IS MORE LIKE Skeet?

That would be correct. A friend has a bore gauge, my skeet was .002, IC .005, Mod .010, and full was .043. Way too tight to throw a decent pattern with regular loads. I ordered Trulock LM and Mod; right on the money at .015 and .020. But they don't have the friction seal on the skirt section, and tend to shoot loose after 25 rounds or so.
buckmark
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 am  Reply with quote

I took advantage of the Trulock sale, grabbed a Skeet2, Mod, and Imp Mod. Should do the trick for clays and pheasants.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:30 am  Reply with quote

The DS chokes that came with the A5 Sw16 have been performing just fine, and they never get loose
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Now for the O/U holdout's (ColdIron) final fall from vertical stacks:

The Sweet is out of the way / on the way.

Now for a sxs for coldIron Iside? Or Merkel, RBL... Embarassed

TripleH
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I bought a few from Trulock during a sale also, but really just did so more out of appreciation for the fact that he supported the request to make them for the 16’s.

I’ve shot the DS chokes exclusively though since getting my A5 and have had no issues.

I have a chart around here somewhere as I had some guys at work measure out the complete set of DS that I have with all the diameters, pm if you are interested or would find useful and I can send.

I keep telling myself I’m going to go pattern them against one another one day to see if there seems to be any appreciable difference.....but then I also tell myself I’m going to start jogging one day, dieting, cutting back on beer......

Rob
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
The DS chokes that came with the A5 Sw16 have been performing just fine, and they never get loose

Jason (BlackBelt) has a great post some place on here about how Browning knew what they were doing with the chokes on these guns. And how they perform as they should. The Sweet 16 that Browning loaned out for the Sweet 16 shoot sure seemed to shoot that IC just like grouser47 says. So between grouser47, Jason, you and my somewhat limited experience I ordered a DS Skeet choke from Midwest Gunworks this weekend Smile And they are cheaper then the Trulocks even when they are on sale. If anything that Browning DS choke in IC might be just a bit tight for grouse especially early season. I really don't care what they measure, just how they actually perform.

fourtrax wrote:
Now for the O/U holdout's (ColdIron) final fall from vertical stacks:

The Sweet is out of the way / on the way.

Now for a sxs for coldIron Iside? Or Merkel, RBL... Embarassed

Sold 2 guns that I never shoot anymore on gunbroker last week and going to list a few more this week. For that very reason. Tell Al that I hate him for bringing that FAIR Iside and letting me shoot it LOL.

But that CSMC RBL that Riflemeister posted that he picked up not long ago on gunbroker does make my knees kind of weak just looking at it.... Doubt I'll find another one like it at that price ever though.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like the DS chokes work just fine. You really can't read the label on the choke and plan on it patterning as expected. I've measured, literally, like a billion bores, chokes and choke tubes and even Briley screws up and sends out improperly labeled choke tubes on occasion. If a fixed choke, or choke tube, in a 16 gauge measures from about .007 to .011" it will throw an IC pattern, give or take. No one has a magic formula for cutting chokes. No one.
Browning used to cut their 12 gauge Invector choke tubes about one constriction more open than they labeled them. I figured they were just trying to help most guys who were over choked. I must say my 525 Sporter has the most consistent set of Brileys (made for Browning) I have ever seen. The bores match, which helps, and the skeet is .005" and each constriction goes up exactly .005" in constriction. Very nice.
What do the DS choke tubes, and bores, measure?
Jeff
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff, I was pointing out to Jason with my bore gauge that there is a huge flare which begins right before the tube. I mean that dial just jumps open between the bore and the beginning of the tube and it's not brief. I have to think there is a jug choke effect at work. Jason has used nothing tighter than an LM tube in his SW16 and he's hammering everything hard out to and including long range. I have used my SW16 less than he has, but I've used nothing tighter than the IC on a few Iowa pheasants and WI wood ducks. I think some people are throwing in the towel without even pattering the DS tubes, let alone using them in the field. Don't make me start posting patterns and riling up Dale!

Here's what I have measured.

Bore diameter: .667

DS SK .003
DS IC .007
DS Mod .011
DS I-Mod .025
DS-Full crazy tight-my bore gauge won't enter it

At a full inch before the back of the choke tube the bore flares out to .681 and begins to constrict just at back end of the choke tube. Seems like jug choking to me. I don't know, but Jason and I have about 10 of these new A5's including 12 gauges and the DS chokes have given great performance in the field. Maybe not so much on internet discussion boards.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Do all of the DS choked guns have this flare in the bore? Weird. If it's .681 just in front of the choke tube, what does the back of the choke tube measure, and what is the constriction at the end of the choke tube?
For your full choke try using a 20 gauge bore gauge.
Jeff
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Do the 725s have the same kind of bores?
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know, but Jason has a couple 725 Fields and I'll check them out. We're shooting sporting clays in the morning.