16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  DS chokes
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Shoot ‘em up!
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Had my Sweet for almost a month now and put more than 750 rounds through it in Sporting Clays and 5 Stand. All with the IC choke. Put me in the camp that it patterns tighter than labeled, I don't care what it measures. Glad I stuck it out and waited to see how they performed before going 3rd party.

First Browning that fits me so never really have been a Browning fan. But these chokes sure are making me one fast. Don't give up anything on close presentations but breaking targets that those with LM are struggling with. Shooting skeet on Sunday with a skeet choke I picked up and if it is anything like the IC will be picking up a CYL for grouse season. DS choke of course.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron: glad you are enjoying your new SW16! They are tremendous!

DS chokes: As Dave mentioned earlier, we discovered that Browning did something really innovative with the DS system (in fact they use the phrase, “total barrel dynamics” to account for what they have done). In order to make the barrels as thin as they have, they have used the old “jug choke” method to tighten up the patterns using less choke constriction. For those unfamiliar with jug choking, it is where the barrel is flared just before the constriction starts to add choke to a barrel that might lack it. What this does in the case of the DS chokes is allow for less constriction to produce tighter patterns (the jug is causing the “choke” to start in the barrel vs all in the tube).

I’ve been nuts about the new A5’s since they came out and have found the DS tubes to work exceptionally well, patterning in a reasonable way as to their markings. I love the LM tube for 90% of my hunting/shooting as it is great at long range but doesn’t destroy game up close. I think it is sad that some people who claim to be experts will bash a product like the DS tube without really giving them much chance or after only patterning a few loads through them.

Just my two cents from using the DS tubes hard on the range and field for 8 years.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 am  Reply with quote

don't make me pull out the pattern paper...don't make me pull out the pattern paper...don't make me pull out the pattern paper...don't make me pull out the pattern paper...
Black Belt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Heaven forbid someone should pattern when the constriction can be measured and everything assumed from there! 🤣
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Laughing

Finally got to use the SK choke last Sunday. It is perfect. Loving the IC so far and have had several people ask what choke I was using because I'm hammering the targets lately. Actually it usually goes more like "What the hell choke are you using?"

LM is my favorite choke in the 12 ga. Well look at the time it is lunch time! And time to sneak off to MGW and order a LM for the Sweet Cool
Black Belt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Haha! Nice, Mike! You won’t be disappointed with the LM tube!