16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ruger Gold label
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:15 am  Reply with quote

I know its not a 16, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them?

df
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:58 am  Reply with quote

I have not owned or handled one. Have seen some articles and comments in the past that were not favorable. I have owned Red Labels but would not again
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I shot one at the 2007 World SxS Shoot at the Northbrook Sports Club in Illinois. It was nice. As I recall it was not particularly muzzle light - maybe a little forward on the balance - not objectionably so, though. I shot a box through it, and I shot it well. It might have been a factory prototype. It's a fairly attractive gun. You know, the action is mostly built with Red Label 28 gauge parts, on a SxS style frame - quite svelte and in line with the Scottish round-actions it was meant to invoke. I never really liked the pivoting/sliding barrel selector/safety arrangement of the Red Label, and the Gold Label is the same in that department. It works, and is workable, though. It wouldn't stop me from having either of these Ruger shotguns.

It could be wrong, but I heard they gave up on the Gold Label because they had problems with barrel regulation or barrel assembly somehow, the fix for which drove the price out of the market they targeted. The initial price was $3000 as I recall, and I thought it was a pretty good deal. Then again, I bought my AyA #2 for that a few years earlier. I suppose a price higher than that put them up too close or over all the Grulla's, AyA's and other Spanish doubles of the day, and over the entry level Beretta SxS's and maybe close to the Merkel's. Oh well . . . . another great idea from Ruger, but it just didn't work out.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

I owned one for a few years, and it was trouble free. We can chat on the phone if you’d like.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778381697

bmarks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have handled a 12ga Gold label that belongs to a friend. I was impressed with its quality and overall feel. I'm not much of a fan of 12ga shotguns but i could see the GL being a decent duck gun
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I believe these were actually pretty light - around 6.5 pounds. I find it interesting that Ruger had trouble regulating barrels when all manner of small European companies can build shotguns of all sorts that are regulated okay, and they certainly can not have the engineering power that Ruger has on its payroll. They get a bit of money for them now as they are considered Ruger "collectibles", but then again some people collect Pez dispensers. I handled a few when they were for sale. Just like the Red Labels the barrels are not struck nicely - very "wavy". Ruger quality wood to metal fit, which means just kind of okay. If you must have one, then get one. Too many great shotguns out there for me to mess with a Gold Label.
Regards,
Jeff

PS Carl - check your email
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

My brother and I both own one. I shoot it very well. Like you said, not a 16ga so I don't shoot it often. BOth of our guns are well regulated, I have talked with a few gunmakers and said this was a myth.

Many people had to poop on this shotgun, well, name another American made sxs, or an O/U for that matter.

I have contemplated buying another just to hunt with, keep the other for rare occasions, but their price is getting to point where I could buy a Merkel in 16ga

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It is light though, you will be shooting only 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 oz through it. BUt that is all I shoot anyway, so no big deal for me. REal pleasant to carry through the sandhills or shooting pheasants in the grass. Love shooting quail with it, month ago used it to shoot Sporting Clays, sxs event, and won it.

Original price was $1995
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch, mine must have been well regulated, too. It was deadly on the clay course and probably the easiest hitting SxS I've ever owned. As with most controversial guns, the vast majority of the bashers never owned one.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch,
I didn’t “poop” on the Gold Label. Savage 16 asked and I gave my opinion. They are okay $2,000 shotguns. Hey, I own a 20 gauge Red Label along with several other Rugers. I’m not going to gush over a gun just because it’s made in the USA.
I’m really glad you and your brother like yours. I’ve heard only great things about their reliability. I don’t think we really know why Ruger dropped it - probably a financial decision. I think they would have been better off introducing a 20 gauge, preferably with 28 or 30” barrels. SxS folks love a small bore. Not too many folks in the US know what to do with a 6.5 lb 12 gauge. You’re one of the few. I’m sure a bunch of people dropped a couple of Golden Pheasants in, lit them off, picked up their teeth and never shot it again. They are an interesting piece of Americana because of their limited production and if I shot one I’d probably own 2 or 3.
Regards,
Jeff
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

No worries, wasn't singling you out, I have read so much trash about these shotguns from people, But you are right, they should have probably started with 20ga, then put 28ga barrels on it and 16ga.

It in the end was financial, this was the Old Man's vision, to put an American made sxs on the market that hunters could afford. But after his death, Ruger only cared about pistols and tactical crap, now make zero shotguns.

Just sad that USA cannot manufacture a double barrel, stacked or horizontal.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
Just sad that USA cannot manufacture a double barrel, stacked or horizontal.

There is CSMC. RBLs, A10s, Savage branded "Foxes", etc. The recently introduced Revelation O/U seems to be well received by postings I've seen.

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have one -- 6,5lbs - straight stock, 28" bls. Shoot it better than any double I own.
Ruger did not have any regulation problems -- reason production stopped is that they lost money on every one they produced. When Bill was alive he would not give them up -- he loved Britt doubles and specially John Dixon & MacNaughton round bodied trigger plate shotguns. When Bill passed Ruger ceased production.
Cheers, John

Little Creek
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I recently had a chance to trade a terrific Restocked Fox Sterlingworth for a used Gold Label. The Gold Label had scuff marks on both barrels where there was significant bluing loss, like from a slip on sling or gun rack. The owner also told me that he had several misfires where the second barrel would not shoot. He said he thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun and the misfires stopped. Because of the bluing loss, I think the gun was in about 90% condition. It would have booked out at less than $2000. I did not trade the gun and in fact sold my Fox for $1500 (It was that good!)

I probably should have traded and sold the Ruger, but the misfire problem put me off.

I actually shot this gun at skeet when the owner first got it...he couldn't miss with it. It was about 6-3/4 pounds or a bit less. The barrels were regulated and there was no seam showing where the barrels joined the monobloc...as I have noticed on some Gold Labels and poorly sleeved doubles.

Overall, I am sad Ruger stopped making the gun, but it was priced way too low for production at $2000. Then again, All the guns I own, to include O/U's have doublr triggers!
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Ruger DID have barrel issues with the Gold Label. They tried a new method of joining barrels that was supposed to be fast and efficient and help them hit the $2000 price point, but it didn't work as planned and they ended up discarding many joined barrel sets. They didn't ship guns with bad barrel regulation, but the problem was a factor in driving up costs -- and not making a profit led to early demise of the Gold Label. Shooting Sportsman had a lengthy article on the gun when it was first introduced, the story included and explained a published photo showing a bin holding many discarded barrel sets.