16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  FAIR Rizzini Iside
odog59
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

I GO TO BRISTOL,WISC FOR SKEET. IT'S JUST OVER THE ILL-WISC BORDER BUT IT'S ONLY OPEN FRIDAY AFTERNOON, SAT & SUNDAY. DONT KNOW OF ANYWHERE OPEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK. Crying or Very sad
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:11 am  Reply with quote

Guess I will have to do some more research. I used to live in Naperville, so Aurora might be great.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:17 am  Reply with quote

There is a nice write up on Italian sxs’s and another specifically on FAIR Iside on chuck hawks site.

I know online recommendations can be a dime a dozen since you don’t know who is writing the check but I found both articles informative just in regards to the mechanics overall.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/fair_iside_gold.html
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 am  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
There is a nice write up on Italian sxs’s and another specifically on FAIR Iside on chuck hawks site.

I know online recommendations can be a dime a dozen since you don’t know who is writing the check but I found both articles informative just in regards to the mechanics overall.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/fair_iside_gold.html

That is a good review. However he says the 16 ga. is based on the 12 ga. frame but according to John Boyd and others the 16 is on a scaled frame. I had the opportunity to shoot the same Iside as Dave but it fit me well, and I shot it well. Pretty sure it is on a scaled 16 frame. It is on my short list of next guns.

The Iside is likely a high enough grade for me. However the gun we shot was the Iside Prestige, beautiful gun IMO!

I have a FAIR over under 16 ga. with the case colored receiver which is about 20 years old and the colors are pretty worn off. I always have liked the higher grade FAIR 16's with the gold inlays, model 900 series O\U's. And the Iside is offered in the same configuration and called the Iside Prestige Tartaruga Gold. And it trips my trigger but of course the most expensive grade they offer

But there is nothing wrong with the base Iside either at half the price.

And the Iside EM boxlock is decent in its own right but the price goes up over the basic Iside

Decisions....
odog59
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

RKITTINE - WHERE ARE YOU STAYING IN CHI? I HAVE TO WORK ON THE DAYS YOU'RE HERE BUT IF YOU'RE NOT TOO FAR MAYBE I COULD STOP BY YOU FOR A QUICK LOOK AT YOUR ISIDE. OF COURSE IF IT'S OK WITH YOU. I LIVE IN LOMBARD & WORK IN ELMHURST.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, those look really nice! I think I like the looks of the base model the best. You are getting me back here for corrupting you, aren't you. Dang, it's starting to work!
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 am  Reply with quote

I will be at the Marriott on Michigan Avenue.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Mike, those look really nice! I think I like the looks of the base model the best. You are getting me back here for corrupting you, aren't you. Dang, it's starting to work!

I prefer to think of it as you (and others) educating me Very Happy Makes it easier on myself when I write the checks out LOL. Got another flat of Herter's delivered yesterday and a flat of Remington Game Loads at 1200 fps will be here today. Going to try them both in the new Sweet 16 hopefully they both will work. Of course now after your last educational session I need to send out the gun and have the stock converted to an English straight stock!

The more I look at the Iside pictures think your right and the basic model is pretty nice. So see you also save me money too! Ahlman's shows some in stock. Think I'm going to call Moe when they open and see if they carry them also. He used to carry B. Rizzini but not sure about FAIR.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Can a person get the basic model with 30" barrels? That might be too much for me to resist.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Can a person get the basic model with 30" barrels? That might be too much for me to resist.

Why yes you can! Not sure if any are in stock anyplace right now. You can also get single or double triggers. Best bet is to call John Boyd at Phone: (281)870-8377. And I think you should!

I shot the 28" and couldn't help but wonder how the 30" would handle, even better is my thought. I think you should get one so I can try it Very Happy
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 am  Reply with quote

You're so rotten. That's why I like you. I'm a slow learner, but one thing I've learned is a 30" smallbore is a whole lot easier for me to shoot than shorter. I bought a silvery 30" Parker 16 VH and it was an eye opener. A modern 30" 16 SxS would be useful to me!
fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:24 am  Reply with quote

If I ever bite on an Iside I would favor the 30" bbls. based on how I like handling of both Sauer sxs in 12 & 16 with 30" bbls.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Finalized my Iside order yesterday with John at Quality Arms. Italy's August vacation is almost over, so John contacted me and wanted to confirm my stock dimensions. So for $2500 what am I getting? The basic case-colored Iside 16 with optional 30" barrels, double triggers, long tang, and custom stock dimensions. (DAC, DAH, LOP, cast). I inquired about ejectors, but you have to move up to the Iside EM for that, and I'm just not into flashy receivers, so extractors it will have. I most likely won't see it until December, so I'll consider it a Christmas present and early semi-retirement reward.
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 am  Reply with quote

Dave, seems like a really reasonable price for a pretty sweet SxS. I'd been looking at the base models myself for a while. Picking up those extras for another 1k seems well worth it.

Did they give you any indication on any type of grade of wood you'd have or is it just going to be luck of the draw?

Looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing how it handles for you. By December it might be time for a new addition, I'll just call it early, early, early, early, retirement...

Rob
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob.

I'm just going with fate on the wood. I appreciate nice wood, but it's near the bottom on my list of importance. The basic guns I've seen have pleasant looking stocks and that's enough for me. For an Italian 30" 16 with custom dimensions and the support of a dealer like John I think it's a decent deal. 5K worth of shotguns left my safe this summer and another one is going on the block, so I'm letting myself play a little. This one along with my Browning SW16 will handle all my 16 gauge chores.