16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16ga shoot louisville ky??
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

anyone interested in a shoot in the middle of the country. great club in the Louisville ky area, just testing the water, st Paul Minn to far, same with Missouri

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm..

I've got some family there...I suppose I could be arm twisted..

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Your timing for the shoot will make a big difference! The shoot we are doing in Missouri has been rejected by many of the people who hunt up north in October but that is before most of our hunting opens here.
Too many of the shooters up north don't want to give up a weekend to come south while I give up a weekend of spring fishing and turkey hunting to drive up to the 16ga shoot in St. Paul.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
bobski
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:13 am  Reply with quote

im worth the time and effort. just come join us in mo instead of ky and let me do the legwork! Laughing

if guys from tx, ok, minn, fla, colo, tenn, eastern mich, va, al, ar, il, and ks are showing up in the sticks of these Ozarks...I must be doing something right. or its just my magnetic personality. Wink

since youre just testing the waters, allow me to share my experiences openly since ive been there and done that for some time now.

like Byron said, season planning is crucial. I like shooting and I like having you guys over, but....my families medical needs are more important than a hunting season. thus why my offer of apr and oct is the best I can do. elderly needs trump gun toys and cabin life with shooting buddies.

the one good thing you got going for you is.. you have nothing to lose personally if no one shows up. the club you choose to meet at will open and close with or without your 16ga shooters.

in the past, the biggest negative issue i had was people (said) they'll come then (don't) leaving others hanging. being retired military, this has always been something I never have gotten use to and i still have issues with. im old school. I do what I say im going to do. and being I run the range I offer to you all, I have no choice but to be committed.
again, this is a situation youre immune to.

I don't know how it effects you, but its a situation much like throwing a kegger and no one shows. it hurts.
technology makes it too easy to change minds. im just telling you this....so if you do pull it off, get up your hopes, and no one shows....you will have been prepared for it.
its a different world we live in today.

ive had people tell me its a hard sell to get someone to travel long distances to do what can be done closer to home.
and I agree.
and its for this reason I tell my visitors that its not about shooting or prizes...its about being in the company of good people. the distances traveled define the level of loyalty in a person.
I travel 3000 miles round trip to do my shoot.
actions speak louder than words.

so good luck in your quest. pm me if I can help.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 am  Reply with quote

I would suggest that you go ahead and schedule the shoot. If they come, so be it--if not you will have a base to work with.

I would suggest you refrain from elaborate awards and food--just in case of a low turn out.

My shoots in Florida have the same problem-no way to predict what numbers will attend. So I keep it as simple as possible.

Good luck!

bobski
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:27 am  Reply with quote

remember, I speak as a range owner.....
will your meet be scheduled during a big annual club function where prizes and fixin's are supplied with a ticket by a promoter, with the 16ga guys just blending in cashing in on the good deal? or will it be during routine club hours where they open just for you by appointment? will you be reserving a field for a private function?
if so, you may run into issues where you cant guarantee the club numbers. they may require it. trust me...clubs don't like getting caught holding the bag or have the monkey on their backs by preparing for a shoot and no one shows. theyd prefer you carry the monkey. thus....tickets talk, all others gawk unless corp sponsors cover the clubs overheads by leasing the range on contract and by donating and promoting with high levels of vendor advertising, that draws crowds...like raffles and gun giveaways. most gun industry promoters write off shoots as business expenses, so if low numbers attend, its no loss. they just make a tick mark on their tablet and don't come back next year. and the club is happy, they make payroll with the lease. win win.
but non sponsored little clubs have a lot riding on the line if no one shows, banking totally on numbers.
louisville knows the game. make sure you do too.
its for this reason a require 10 in advance. its bad enough 3 out of 10 never show anyway. worst I had so far was 147 no ticket required invites. 25 said yes...3 showed up.
never again. Wink
or was it the one website that had 10 post yes, they were coming....none showed.......but 1 showed up from texas.....TEXAS.... on the wrong day, as I was bush hogging. Shocked
how do you think he felt? i parked the tractor, opened the range, and shot with him and had a blast. that's who i am. fyi....

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:05 am  Reply with quote

next step is to connect with other local 16 ga shooters thru facebook groups and INGO(indiana gun owners website) to meet and shoot and get to know each other.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920