16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Of the Dog Called the Setter
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Here is an article my wife (who is an art historian) posted on her Pet Museum blog, about the english setter. This was written in the 1500's, and if you read it, you'll discover why they're called setters. Very interesting read.

http://thepetmuseum.blogspot.com/2018/08/of-dog-called-setter.html

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I am owned by one of those little heart stealers:

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54700_600x400/] [/URL]

She works hard to keep the extra weight off of herself, so she looks as if chiseled from stone.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54701_600x400/] [/URL]

41 lbs of anticipation, joy, energy, love and psychosis all wrapped up in a mostly white furred package, perpetually ready for bird season.

The only breeds I have ever considered are the Setters. They fit me to a T.

Best,
Ted

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:26 am  Reply with quote

The latest issue of Gundog Magazine has a very good article showcasing the English setter. I'm a GSP man, but really can't see any down side to getting a setter sometime in the future. Heck, I was looking into getting a Brittany when I kinda backed into getting Bode, my first GSP and a truly great bird dog. Life without a dog just wouldn't be the same.

Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:27 am  Reply with quote

My long time companion, Mahony's Skitso, will turn 16 Monday.

Heaviest she has ever been was just shy of 32 pounds. Has been hanging in there at about 28.5 for the last few years.

slowpokebill
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:50 am  Reply with quote

For the past 45 years a number of setters have been my hunting companions and a part of my home. I can't imagine life with out one in the house.

Here are my current hunting buddies. Sorry but the shotguns are a 28 gauge DeHaan and a old 12 gauge Belgian guild gun.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
16 years is a long run for a bird dog. Congrats.

My Gordon made 15, but, wasn’t doing any bird hunting at that point, just hunting for his meals. Boy, he was an unforgettable dog when he was on his game.

Best,
Ted

mart
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I've had Brits for many years and our current Brit is getting up in years. Still in great health but loosing her vision. My job has me gone for two weeks a month so I didn't feel like I could start a pup so I put out a request on another forum to adopt a bird dog in need of rehoming. We ended up adopting a five year old female English Setter, Jessie.

What a sweetheart. She has decided I'm her favorite human but loves my wife and my mom as well as the two college kids living with us. When I'm home it's clear who is her favorite person.

I'll be home from the slope on the 15th and then Jessie and I are hitting the woods and tundra for some grouse and ptarmigan for a couple weeks. We'll also be caribou hunting during that time. It'll be interesting to see was this Connecticut Setter thinks of caribou and moose.

My Mom came for a visit and Jessie has accepted her into the pack.

Willow and Jessie take seriously the job of protecting our home from dangerous intruders.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

My setters will set (lay down on point) on occasion and a prior setter I owned once set and then crept forward on his belly. I was so enthralled with his behavior that I missed the rise of the bird.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Skitso still hunted well the seasons she was 13 and 14, but at 15 her failing hearing and eyesight made things difficult. One good point and retrieve though.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
My setters will set (lay down on point) on occasion and a prior setter I owned once set and then crept forward on his belly. I was so enthralled with his behavior that I missed the rise of the bird.

Good Hunting,
Mike

That's interesting. I didn't know that's how setters got their name until my wife showed me this article, and then to hear that there are still some that creep on their bellies like that is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve heard of that behavior, but, none of the 6 dogs that have owned me have ever displayed it.
Wouldn’t be a horrible thing.

Best,
Ted

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 am  Reply with quote

Heck, that sitting thing would not be a deal breaker for me on a dog with a good nose and bird sense. My four year old GSP a couple of years back was being hunted on preserve quail on an exceptionally frosty morning that made the grass slicker than snot on a doorknob. He went on point a couple of hundred yards away, and as I gingerly made my way over to him, he kept checking on my progress and halfway over laid down to wait for me. I was unsure of how to handle that, but as I approached, he got back up and handled the bird great. We just agreed not to talk about that situation.

canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I can't bring myslef to get any other kind of dog. For me, setters are perfect. I tend towards the Llewellin persuasion but they are all great!

Here are my first two, Ed and Wil. Will, the younger dog on the left would occasionally "set". And it WAS fun to watch . In this picture they are pretty focused on a wood duck that just dropped out of her box, mounted on a tree just outside camera range. That's the Red River flowing through Winnipeg and I mounted the box so I could sit on my dock and watch the adults fly into the hole of the box. Talk about precision flying!

[URL=http://s267.photobucket.com/user/JAMESROBLIN/media/The%20Dogs/edandwill.jpg.html] [/URL]

And then here are my next two, Scout on the left, who turned 10 this past spring and Wind'em, who joined Ed and Will in June of 2012.

[URL=http://s267.photobucket.com/user/JAMESROBLIN/media/The%20Dogs/iPhonePicsDownloadMarch292013061_zps2357a8f2.jpg.html] [/URL]

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful dogs, all of them. I am a huge fan of setters. If it weren't for the wonderful things Border Collies have done for me, I would have a setter now. Someday I can see having one of each.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Setters ya got to love em,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54767_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54764_600x400/]
[/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54765_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers