16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lots of Shells For Sale - Hevi-Shot, Bismuth, ITX, Lead, etc
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Early this year I purchased just shy of 4000 rounds of 16 gauge ammo at an auction. The vast majority of it is handloaded, mostly hunting type loads. Some is factory loaded, but old. About 1200 to 1500 rounds are in Hevi-Shot, a couple of boxes are ITX, and probably another couple hundred are bismuth. The rest are lead, copper-plated lead and nickel-plated lead loads. Realizing, at this stage, I will never shoot that many 16 gauge hunting loads, I'd like to sell a lot of it.

I'll give you guys a crack at the non-tox loads for $25 per 25 round box - buyer pays shipping and any other cost. If you are nearby, you can see and select before you buy and pick up, depending on availability, of course. You can buy the lead loads for $5 per box.

The fellow that reloaded these shells was fairly meticulous, possibly OCD, as he has labeled almost each and every shell with the load! I should say "loaded", not "re-loaded" as these shells are almost all in new primed Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls. I have dissected a few, and the components are the type that one would get from Ballistic Products, Inc., or Precision Reloading. The crimps are very regular and uniform, but not up to my standard. They are very functional -- shot does not rattle and they are not going to come apart; they just don't have the crimp depth I like, nor are they as round-edged as I like. Nonetheless, I have not had any feeding problems with them. I did shoot some of those that were suitable for clays at the 16 gauge shoot at S. St. Paul Rod & Gun Club, this spring, in an old Model 12, and folks shooting with me can verify their decent feeding in that repeater, especially in the flurry. I have run some of the Hevi-Shot loads through my MEC 600 to improve their appearance, and they look great. You can do that, too.

I have Hevi-Shot loads in 4's, 5's and 6's -- I might even have some 2's or 3's. Some are labeled combinations of 5's and 6's. I can't tell if the guy mixed this combination or measured his Hevi-Shot 5's and 6's and, noticing the fairly wide size distribution typical of Hevi-Shot, just labled it with what he measured. Most are loaded with LongShot. Some with Blue Dot and others. Most are 1 1/8 ounce. All the non-tox are in 25 round plastic hinged snap-top boxes that must have cost the guy $5 per! Wow . . .

Some of the lead loads are in 65mm hulls, but I would not necessarily use them in an old gun. The lead loads are "pretty sharp" -- nothing to bother a modern gun, but listed as having velocities in the 1300 fps area. The vast majority are 2 3/4 inch. I have not chronographed any of them. Various powders were used in the lead loads, Unique, Universal, Green Dot, PB, etc, etc. Lead loads are available in 7/8, 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, plus metric weights. Shot sizes: 4, 5, 6, 7 (probably actually 7 1/2's), and 8's. Quite a bit of the lead shot is plated (!) with either copper or nickel. Most of the lead loads are in paper boxes.

For reference, here is CheaperThanDirt's price for a box of 10 16 gauge Hevi-Shot:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/hevi-shot/ammunition/shotgun/16-gauge.do
Crazy, huh. $5 per shell, not including any tax or shipping or hazmat you might pay.

Hevi-Shot at BPI sells for $77 for 2 pounds -- $38.50 per pound $2.41 per ounce not including tax and shipping. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hevi-Shot/products/67/ Just the shot alone, after tax, for a box of 25 ounce-and-an-eighth loads would cost me $72.41, local 7% tax included. Adding all the rest of the component costs would get me to around $80 for a box of 25, to load them myself.

If you cannot visit my area (S/W Minneapolis MN suburb), hazmat could be a problem. There is no hazmat on primed hulls, however. I would entertain the idea of disassembling the shells (I can do this without damage to the hulls or components, and I have been doing that since I was 12), and packaging and shipping all components except the powder. I would charge more for that, as it takes a bit of time, but I work cheap, and you could supply your own powder and re-load these new hulls to your preference, and still beat the living daylights out of retail component or factory loaded shell prices.

PM me. I will do a good inventory soon, so we can be sure I have the stuff you want before you make a trip here or order. For now, just know there are about 3700 shells at this point and about 1500 of them are non-tox as listed above.

Thanks,
Tony Lowe
odog59
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

PM SENT
john chamorro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

another PM sent

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 am  Reply with quote

Tony, bring what's left to the Sweet 16 shoot next spring.

I'm sitting on a lifetime stash of ammo and components otherwise I'd be all over this.
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

pm sent
Woody402
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 am  Reply with quote

I sent a PM last week never heard back.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:41 am  Reply with quote

Don't know where you sent it Woody402, but I sure didn't get it.
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

OK, Woody402 is currently new email offline
Please send the PMs to me and I will send them to him

Mike

fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I bought several boxes of this Hevi-shot from Tony. Its a great deal.
artesian01
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

bought ammo from this seller today, great seller, nice transaction!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys -- the feeling is mutual.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Do you have any bismuth loaded in small sizes? 7's or thereabouts? 12 or 16 would work. The 12 is a 2 5/8" damascus gun, the 16 is a 2.75" steel gun. Looking for some snipe loads.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nope, Mark Larson, no 12 gauge (read the original post), all 16. I'm not shipping any shells without a charge for shipping and convenience. Here's what I have left in Non-Tox -- all 1 1/8 oz loads:

HeviShot:
27 shells with a mixture of #4 and #6 shot -- the shells have a blend of 4's and 6's in every shell -- the guy was a shot blender.
25 shells with a mixture of #2 and #5
35 shells with a mixture of #2 and #4
20 shells with B-size shot Shocked (good for really tall geese)

ITX-13: (Shot sold by Ballistic Products - a very hard tungsten alloy about like Hevi-shot)
25 shells with #4
18 shells with a mixture of #2 and #4
7 shells with #2

ITX Original 10: ( Another tungsten alloy, 10 g/cm^3 - a little more dense than Bismuth, but soft enough to easily crush with a small short pliers, and safe for any steel barrel)
116 shells with #4
25 shells with #2

Bismuth:
100 shells with #4
21 Shells with #2
75 shells with #1 - again, good for fairly long goose shots

As you can see, all these shells mostly apply to waterfowling, or late season pheasant, (the 4's in Bismuth and ITX-10, especially, as those pellets weigh close to what a lead #5 would).

The way to arrange a purchase is by PM, not on this thread. I continue to prioritize buyers who can pick up the shells near me, as there is quite a bit of an extra effort and uncertainty in dealing with the shipping companies and the different states in which a buyer might live. There is no need to explain to me how to ship shells, so hold any comments on that issue. I'm sure some wag will try though -- just watch.

I am not selling the lead shot loads anymore, as they are mostly between 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 size, and really not worth it to sell. I'm gradually shooting them up -- a hundred here, a hundred there; it'll add up. I will eventually give away most of the hulls (they'll be once-fired for the most part) -- maybe next year some time when enough of them have been unloaded at clays. I likely won't have any trouble shipping empty hulls -- simple US Postal Service stuff, and pretty cheap shipping, too.

Cheers!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nope, Mark Larson, no 12 gauge (read the original post), all 16. I'm not shipping any shells without a charge for shipping and convenience. Here's what I have left in Non-Tox -- all 1 1/8 oz loads:

HeviShot:
27 shells with a mixture of #4 and #6 shot -- the shells have a blend of 4's and 6's in every shell -- the guy was a shot blender.
25 shells with a mixture of #2 and #5
35 shells with a mixture of #2 and #4
20 shells with B-size shot Shocked (good for really tall geese)

ITX-13: (Shot sold by Ballistic Products - a very hard tungsten alloy about like Hevi-shot)
25 shells with #4
18 shells with a mixture of #2 and #4
7 shells with #2

ITX Original 10: ( Another tungsten alloy, 10 g/cm^3 - a little more dense than Bismuth, but soft enough to easily crush with a small short pliers, and safe for any steel barrel)
116 shells with #4
25 shells with #2

Bismuth:
100 shells with #4
21 Shells with #2
75 shells with #1 - again, good for fairly long goose shots

As you can see, all these shells mostly apply to waterfowling, or late season pheasant, (the 4's in Bismuth and ITX-10, especially, as those pellets weigh close to what a lead #5 would).

The way to arrange a purchase is by PM, not on this thread. I continue to prioritize buyers who can pick up the shells near me, as there is quite a bit of an extra effort and uncertainty in dealing with the shipping companies and the different states in which a buyer might live. There is no need to explain to me how to ship shells, so hold any comments on that issue. I'm sure some wag will try though -- just watch.

I am not selling the lead shot loads anymore, as they are mostly between 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 size, and really not worth it to sell. I'm gradually shooting them up -- a hundred here, a hundred there; it'll add up. I will eventually give away most of the hulls (they'll be once-fired for the most part) -- maybe next year some time when enough of them have been unloaded at clays. I likely won't have any trouble shipping empty hulls -- simple US Postal Service stuff, and pretty cheap shipping, too.

Cheers!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Wow - I got the typical failure message one gets when posting these days, and then it double posted. When it rains, it pours! Confused Very Happy