16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sterlingworth 3" DAH
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Question for those shooting classic sxs with stock dimensions of 2 7/8 or 3". Is it as big of a deal as I see some people make of it? Purchased one and it's in route. I feel like anything is doable with practice but thats easy to say.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

My Fox has 2 5/8" DAH and I love it. For me, it points just a tad high, a few degrees at most. It is one of only two guns I have owned that did not need to be cut down and in to make it fit. I often wonder how many shooters learn on guns that require them to mash down their cheek a little and it becomes habit for life, thus the tendency toward "modern" stock profiles. I am fairly average in build and the modern high comb drives me nuts.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am  Reply with quote

I like about 2-5/8 or 2-3/4. I have a Fox A grade 20 and an A grade 12 that both measure 3-1/8" and I find I need to use a comb riser on those.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 am  Reply with quote

WVbirdman,

Each old classic American double gun fits slightly different. A good gunner usually adapts to the drop and cast pretty quickly.

Have fun!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 am  Reply with quote

A friend shoots best with around 3" of drop. I tend to agree with PCD on this.

That's assuming you aren't trying to shoot competitive trap with it.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am  Reply with quote

the Davis was like that , tough to get a look down the barrels . However , with a 1/4'' soft pad , the gun goes into my shoulder and keeps my head up while looking down the barrels without much effort .

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
WVbirdman,

Each old classic American double gun fits slightly different. A good gunner usually adapts to the drop and cast pretty quickly.

Have fun!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

This is pretty much how I see it as well, but all of my shotguns are "modern" (60's or later), so thought I'd ask those who know what they're talking about.
vaturkey
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I've found that I can shoot a 2 3/4" drop ok. Anything more then that and its not working for me. Some guns can be bent a bit, and some can't. I wouldn't buy a gun with over 3" DAH unless I bought it really at a good price with the idea of restocking it to fit me.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I often wonder how many shooters learn on guns that require them to mash down their cheek a little and it becomes habit for life, thus the tendency toward "modern" stock profiles. I am fairly average in build and the modern high comb drives me nuts.

+1

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just my impression but some of the early American classics mimicked the continental guns by having more DAH. For those that like to see a lot of ramp with the bird well above the bead, this can be disconcerting. For taller shooters, I think more DAH is more practical. I have always liked the (often standard) Euro configuration of DAC 1 1/2 and DAH 2 1/2....works for me. The English school seems to prefer a much "shallower" configuration.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 am  Reply with quote

I went through a Todd Bender skeet clinic a few years ago and the first thing he did was check gun fit. I had my Citori adjusted pretty well, I thought, but he had me raise the cheekpiece about 1/8" to get a stronger cheek weld on the stock His explanation was that a strong cheek weld results in a more consistent gun mount and better scores. There is no doubt many people can shoot a gun fairly well without having their cheek touching the stock. I shoot with a guy in Miami, OK who will often shoot a round of skeet from the hip and score in the 20's. That said, if I had a classic Sterlingworth with 3" of drop, I would be driving up to Wenig's for a new fitted stock I could shoot with a good cheek weld. I own and shoot too many SXS's to attempt to fit myself to each gun rather than fitting the guns to me.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I went through a Todd Bender skeet clinic a few years ago and the first thing he did was check gun fit. I had my Citori adjusted pretty well, I thought, but he had me raise the cheekpiece about 1/8" to get a stronger cheek weld on the stock His explanation was that a strong cheek weld results in a more consistent gun mount and better scores. There is no doubt many people can shoot a gun fairly well without having their cheek touching the stock. I shoot with a guy in Miami, OK who will often shoot a round of skeet from the hip and score in the 20's. That said, if I had a classic Sterlingworth with 3" of drop, I would be driving up to Wenig's for a new fitted stock I could shoot with a good cheek weld. I own and shoot too many SXS's to attempt to fit myself to each gun rather than fitting the guns to me.

Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Don't ruin yourself by constantly shooting NSSA style mounted gun skeet. Go back to shooting low gun the way William H. Foster intended. The Sterlingworth wasn't made for todays NSSA Skeet.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Good point. One must ask what the gun will be used for. I personally find that target guns are great on the range but awkward in the field. One thing is for sure, low mount is the rule of thumb in the field.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I also went through the Orvis Wingshooting school where they instruct basically the Churchill instinctive method of wingshooting. The low gun position they teach is not the "butt below the belt" method formerly required for skeet and pictured above, but a position where the heel is basically even with the armpit and the gun is brought up to the cheek as the gun is moved to the target. That position minimizes the seesaw gun mount usually brought about by the trigger hand having to move the gun a lot more than the forend hand. A much better gun mount in my estimation than what is pictured above. I don't think a premounted gun for bird shootin like in skeet or trap shooting is even worth discussing anywhere. However, proper gun fit is proper gun fit no matter how you shoot.