16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody else?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

I supplement my Bird hunting with a great deal of Fly Fishing during the summer months. As fall comes closer I do look forward to Grouse/Woodcock and Pheasant season here in Pa however. I love doing my fall Fly Fishing and bird hunting on the same day, great way of life no doubt about it.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

"To every thing there is a season..." Fishing in the summer, hunting in the autumn. I love them both and try to give each their due. Plus, when you get to be my age you want to slow things down, not speed them up. I'll take the hunting when it comes, but that's just me Wink.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

I went up to the camper last night for a short mountain bike ride. I am kind of between a rock and a hard place with this smoke. I don't want to overdo it with smoke inhalation, but I have not been as active the past two weeks and now the R.A. in my feet is starting to hurt. I guess the lungs can recover from the smoke but R.A. can do permanent damage, so exercise it is. Funny thing about rheumatoid arthritis, getting the heart rate up on a regular basis seems to make it go away. That's good news for a bird hunter.

Other good news is that the dog and I put up three ruffed grouse near camp. The first week of September is going to be cast and blast week in the mountains, especially since this morning's dove scouting was not much to get excited about. I am getting really restless for September one!

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Yep, me thoughts are turning toward autumn. First off I need to recontact a guy with some really good grass hay for the dog houses and crates. Then I need to shore up and possibly replace my now ratty Dog Den dog houses. Not getting those again...

I'll start the season with ducks in the mighty Mississippi River bottoms. There's usually three good weeks of shooting, and my dogs and I love it. Then bring on the upland birds!
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, WyoChukar is quite the flyfisherman also--check out his latest article in the Sept. Fur-Fish-Game about fall Brookies in those Wyoming mtns. Good read!!

duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Heading to Wyoming & Montana for a photo-hunt while waiting for teal season to start...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Bret
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Yes, Saturday is the grouse and dove opener here in Utah. I'm looking forward to a dove hunt on Saturday and some grouse hunting to follow.

I need time alone in the mountains and dogs running out front with purpose in search of game birds! It resets the burdened soul.

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:59 am  Reply with quote

3Birddogs,

FF&G article by WyoChukar, sounds great, looking forward to reading the Article! Thanks for the heads up!

Pine Creek/Dave

My Brother Kurt doing a little Brookie Fly Fishing on the West Branch, heaven on earth!
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54869_800x600/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Okay, it's getting bad now. The oldie country station is playing in the background while I clean the Ithaca N.I.D and the Lefever D.S. after this morning's clay target workout/ shoulder "seasoning" session. The songs are all turning into parodies. Patsy Cline? "I go out walking...after blue grouse". Merle Haggard? "Let's chase these chukars around the mountainside". Kathy Mattea? "18 shells and a dozen chukars". I fear the next two days at work will be agonizing as I wait for the opening bell to ring. People that say you outgrow this. They lied. Laughing