16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Choke advice
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to pattern it today and see exactly what's going on with it and then I'll figure out the next step.

Exactly!! All the choke dimensions in the world won't tell the story until the gun is patterned with the loads intended for use.

Let us know what you find out.

B.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:33 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to pattern it today and see exactly what's going on with it and then I'll figure out the next step. Spreaders are expensive, 2 1/2" especially. I'm going to start loading my own, so maybe it's an option that route.[/quote]

I don’t load my own shells but I rarely shoot clays. If you are going to load your own there is a wealth of knowledge available on this site. Recently someone had 16 ga loaders for sale.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Brewester11,

I pattern every shotgun I bird hunt with, each shotgun patterns differently. In my case this is a little work because I use most all my double guns each of the different bird hunting seasons.

Once you pattern your shotguns with the shells you use most, you do not have to repattern the guns each season, unless you use different shells. I have an old LeFever 12 Guage built on a 16 Gauge frame that is pure murder on everything form Pheasants to Woodcock. I understood why once I patterned the gun. Inside 35 yards the pattern is full and wide.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to pattern it today and see exactly what's going on with it and then I'll figure out the next step.

Exactly!! All the choke dimensions in the world won't tell the story until the gun is patterned with the loads intended for use.

Let us know what you find out.

B.

I'm basing this on average number of #8 shot in a 1 oz load (410) into a 30" circle at 40 yds.

RST Lite 1 oz. #8

Right barrel 223/410 54%
Left barrel 261/410 64%

Looks like modified/full to me
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

With numbers like that, I would do two things next. First, pattern it at 25 yards. Second, pattern at 25 yards with spreaders. You might be completely satisfied with the gun as issued.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

So what is that I/C and MOD ?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I would say SK2 & I/M by definition. Just on the tight side of I/C & Mod.

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I would say SK2 & I/M by definition. Just on the tight side of I/C & Mod.

I started to say Light Mod and Imp Mod, which is basically the same thing as you stated, correct?...since it's in between percentages. Mod is typically 60% and full 70%?
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
With numbers like that, I would do two things next. First, pattern it at 25 yards. Second, pattern at 25 yards with spreaders. You might be completely satisfied with the gun as issued.

I'll do that tomorrow.

Anyone have a 2 1/2" 1oz spreader recipe they are willing to share? I'm brand new to loading but I'm ready to roll with it.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

"EDIT" for some reason I thought you were asking for 2 3/4" recipes.

2 3/4" info. Mine is pretty simple, but uses the old WW CF hulls. 3/4 oz. soft chilled lead, DR16 wad, 17 gr. Green Dot, and Win 209 primer. The same basic load can be assembled with a Cheddite/Herter's hull by using 20 gr. Green Dot and a Fed 209A primer.

I trim the petals off the wad to increase shot deformation. Basically, the idea is to get the shot knocked out of round so it doesn't fly as straight, then send it down range real fast so the increased air resistance (a byproduct of speed) causes the shot pellets to get going on divergent patterns as soon as possible. It's pretty much the opposite of what I normally want to accomplish with a hand load and it works real well on blue & ruffed grouse from 10-25 yards without wrecking the bird meat. Others will likely chime in with some great favorites as well. Good luck with ole ruff this season.

Last edited by WyoChukar on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:55 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Mine is pretty simple, but uses the old WW CF hulls. 3/4 oz. soft chilled lead, DR16 wad, 17 gr. Green Dot, and Win 209 primer. The same basic load can be assembled with a Cheddite/Herter's hull by using 20 gr. Green Dot and a Fed 209A primer.

I trim the petals off the wad to increase shot deformation. Basically, the idea is to get the shot knocked out of round so it doesn't fly as straight, then send it down range real fast so the increased air resistance (a byproduct of speed) causes the shot pellets to get going on divergent patterns as soon as possible. It's pretty much the opposite of what I normally want to accomplish with a hand load and it works real well on blue & ruffed grouse from 10-25 yards without wrecking the bird meat. Others will likely chime in with some great favorites as well. Good luck with ole ruff this season.

I bought the BPI 16 gauge manual (download) last night. There are a grand total of THREE 1 oz 2 1/2" loads. I've googled and read through tons of threads and articles...most 2 3/4" loads will work in a 2 1/2" shell with a roll crimp?
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 am  Reply with quote

I have been loading some 2 1/2" loads with fiber wads to make the 1oz loads fit and found that they work fine to open the patterns in my tight choked LC Smith. I had a bunch of R/P game load hulls that had worn out crimps and cut them down with birddog's excellent trimmer and now have developed some close range loads for hunting and skeet shooting.
It takes some trial and error but I am using the waxed hard card as a base and cut down fiber wad for filler.
If you were going to roll crimp your loads you could easily fit more into the shell and could use regular SG16 wads with the shot petals removed.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Byron Whitlock wrote:
I have been loading some 2 1/2" loads with fiber wads to make the 1oz loads fit and found that they work fine to open the patterns in my tight choked LC Smith. I had a bunch of R/P game load hulls that had worn out crimps and cut them down with birddog's excellent trimmer and now have developed some close range loads for hunting and skeet shooting.
It takes some trial and error but I am using the waxed hard card as a base and cut down fiber wad for filler.
If you were going to roll crimp your loads you could easily fit more into the shell and could use regular SG16 wads with the shot petals removed.

This is the direction I'm leaning as this is the recommendation in the BPI manual for spreader loads using the spreader insert. I'm intrigued by the fiber wads too though, although that will take some tinkering. Maybe better served to practice those after the season.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a 2.5" , 1oz load that I had tested .

Ched Red 2 1/2" hull - once fired
Ched 209 Primer
18.5 grains Unique
Ched 1632 wad from Grafs
1oz 7 1/2 Lawrance Mag shot
6 fold crimp
5 shots
fps 1220 ev 20 , psi 10500 ev 900

had it tested with Green Dot also , but its slower

I really like this load , It's about they only 1 oz load I use anymore in all my guns .

Also had some tested with the z16 wad but have never used them .

If your interested I'll look it when I get home and post it .

Last edited by fn16ga on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

Forgot about this one , Had this one tested with 800x ,

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17846&highlight=800x

second one down